Cleaning rusty action

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Cleaning rusty action

Postby rwgagnon » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:51 am

Hi, New to this forum but looks like great info and fun reading. This is my first post.
I have a 50 year old Browning Lightning Over/Under which used to work great, but after leaving it in a safe for a year or so, to my dismay, I have found that the action has accumulated a great deal of rust buildup and probably pitting. I have been able to remove the rusty action from the stock and barrel, but am not sure how to best proceed with the cleaning. I have not pulled the action apart yet, but can see that the rust is everywhere. Any idea on how to best proceed with rust removal and cleaning?
Thanks
Rich
rwgagnon
Newb

Re: Cleaning rusty action

Postby Force Fetch » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:29 pm

I purchased a 1958 Lightning in the same condition many years ago. My best advice is to get it to a gunsmith that is familiar with this action and have him pull it apart and repalce the springs and any other parts, probably not too many. I have shot mine for over 20 year since I did this and zero problems.
BTW one of the sweetest shotguns I own.
Wayne
Force Fetch
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:54 am

I personally would take it apart taking a lot of pictures as I go so you will not loose track of how to put it back together. replace all springs if they are available and clean it up good with steel wool. there are rust removal chemicals available too that will bring the internals back to bare metal and then you can see just how much pitting you have.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 3200 man » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:01 am

This would be a suggestion,maybe!
Take it to your local gunsmith,have him check it out making sure it is ready to shoot,what ever it takes !
Then contact a dipping outfit ,chose the camo pattern you like and WALAAA, you'll have a new gun ?

what do you guys think ,is this possible ? Total maybe 300 Bucks
3200 man
hunter

Postby Woodyard » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:47 pm

A gun of that quality should be professionally refurbished. Only a barbarian would have a Browning Superposed "dipped." It would be equivalent to painting a Ferrari with spray cans.
2011-12:
Mourning doves 49
Buck antelope 1
Buck mule deer 1
Mallards 97
Wood ducks 3
Greenwing teal 24
Bluewing teal 2
Ring necks 8
Pintails 3
Wigeon 1
Gadwalls 1
Shovelers 2
Redheads 1
Canvasbacks 1
Bands 2
Woodyard
hunter

Postby vacuum6 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:04 pm

I certainly agree....no one in their right mind would dip a superposed ......beyond absurd !!
vacuum6
hunter

Postby Leadhead » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:03 am

who would leave it in a safe for two years and not check on it from time to time. But since it needs loving care take it to the gunsmith for proper cleaning and repair.
Leadhead
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:22 am

The value of this gun went out the window ,as he stated it's present condition . But as we know , it's value in performance in
the field is on top of the scale , it does have a bearing on what it looks like ? By having it dipped or powder coated would make
it eazier to maintain and sence he is lacking in this dept. I would suggest , increasing it's life ?

What are your thoughts ?
3200 man
hunter

Postby Force Fetch » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:04 pm

Thank you to all that said,"don't dip it". We are talking a classic and keeping it close to origional is the smart way to go. They make lots of guns already painted and dipped .
If the gun in question is like mine it is an extension of my mind and body when I shoot it. I seem to think my dogs even know when I un case it in the field and work better. Something about those old Brownings.
Force Fetch
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:48 pm

A good rub down with 0000 steel wool and motor oil is a gentle and very effective way to remove surface rust without harming the bluing. I've brought back quite a few old guns that way. I've never been inside a Browning double gun but rust inside the action of many old American side by sides is pretty normal because many of those parts weren't blued. They tend to just rust a bit and then grow their own patina. I normally give the guts a good spray of kroil, try to get in there a give the bad spots a good brushing, flush with brake cleaner, and use a brush to lightly "paint" the parts with thin coat of grease.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:27 am

Force Fetch wrote:Thank you to all that said,"don't dip it". We are talking a classic and keeping it close to origional is the smart way to go. They make lots of guns already painted and dipped .
If the gun in question is like mine it is an extension of my mind and body when I shoot it. I seem to think my dogs even know when I un case it in the field and work better. Something about those old Brownings.

And when someone doesn't take care of a Classic ,it goes to hell fast ! In most cases ,it's not worth any more than alot less expensive gun in good shape and the less valued gun would look better ! I'm not saying The classic ,if opperational ,isn't a Great
hunting Gun , but a pile of junk is not very appealing ,having a abused Classic Browning can be a extention of my thoughts Too !
3200 man
hunter

Postby Force Fetch » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:34 am

3200 the real value of a gun is the love you have for that particular gun. I have a few "oldies" that have been purchased in varying condition over the years. I have made most of them as close to new as possible and just enjoy the oldies. I also have new guns that I take really good care of so the next person will get a well cared for well used gun.
This sort of discussion can be emotional, so if it works for you dip it and use the h8ll out of it if it fits you, you won't get a better killing machine in the hands of a competent gunner.
Head Down and Keep Swinging.
Force Fetch
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:33 pm

I agree with you that these guns are a piece of art and in the hands of a good shooter ,they would be hard to beat. With one
that has been abused or neglected and it has turned into a rust-ball ,well ? like the saying goes ,you can't turn a sow ear into
a silk purse but, maybe you have the ability to do just that ,with these fine Guns ? I know ,I have a rope around my neck with
my suggestion but , what the hell , I gave it a try !
3200 man
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:11 am

If you are concerned about the guns internals, take it to a gunsmith.
If you are deciding to dip or not, it's your gun, you can do what you like with it.

BTW, I have painted a Ferrari with spray cans....quite liberating.
mudpack
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:25 am

I was wondering ,Who did that to my car ? Just Kidding It was my neighbors !
3200 man
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum