Small steel shot Through Fixed Full barrels

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Postby inthebox30lbs » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:18 pm

Have a smith and wesson Model 1000m. 30" barrel fixed full choke barrel. Whats everybodys thought, opinions I plan on shooting 3 and 4 size steel for ducks 3" sheels out of this gun. Thanks
scott
inthebox30lbs
hunter

Re: Small steel shot Through Fixed Full barrels

Postby Park Duck » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:29 pm

It will be fine
Park Duck
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:35 pm

I don't know how valid it actually is but the rule of thumb I've always heard was that a full choke is safe with #2 and smaller size steel shot.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby steelheadslayer » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:36 pm

Even if the shot opens the end of the barrel a little it would be a good thing. You'll be fine, may not want to shoot the superfast stuff, over 1550 but I don't know what effect that would have.
"Opinions are like elbows, everyone seems to have a couple of em."-Phil Roberston
steelheadslayer
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:32 am

You will be ok. The shell mfg have learned alot over the years on making non toxic shells. Wads are much better. I also would not shoot those super high fps shells out of any gun.
War Wagon
hunter

Postby yareelohim » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:13 pm

I've shot lots of #3 and #4 in my fixed full Winchester Model 50. Just keep it under 1550fps.
"For the High and Exalted One who lives forever, whose name is Holy says this: 'I live in a high and holy place, and with the oppressed and lowly of spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and revive the heart of the oppressed." - Isaiah57:15
yareelohim
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:01 pm

yareelohim wrote:I've shot lots of #3 and #4 in my fixed full Winchester Model 50. Just keep it under 1550fps.

You are brave. I've thought about trying steel in my 50 but it was my Grandpas so I'm afraid to hurt it. I might have to get another barrel and chamber for it and put her back to work.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:42 pm

I shot a LOT of steel up to BB thru 2 1964 browning auto-5's one with a 30" fixed full and the other with a 28" fixed full. Never had any issues with barrel swelling or pattern problems but the loads I was shooting were 1400fps or slower as these were 2-3/4 in Light twelves.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby dakotashooter2 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:34 pm

When steel first came out there was a lot of hype about not shooting it in older guns with full choke. Particularly large shot. Some of that hype was warranted as the early wads for steel that a lot of blow throughs and it was possible for the steel shot to contact the barrel. New technology has eliminated most of those problems and as long as one uses some common sense it should not cause problems in older full choke guns as long as shot size and velocity are kept in moderation.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum