Versa Max problem

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Versa Max problem

Postby Flint » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:11 pm

I just received a new Remington Vesa Max and found that barrel has a sloppy loose fit to the receiver which causes the barrel to rotate to the right about 1/32 of an inch + or - when the magazine cap it tighten. This causes the rib to be off center of the receiver.
If you have a Vesa Max check your gun and see if the rib is centered with the receiver and does the barrel have a loose sloppy fit. If you have any suggestions for correcting the problem I would appreciate hearing from you. I will be sending my gun back to Remington for repair in a few days. Thanks
Flint
hunter

Re: Versa Max problem

Postby The Drake » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:25 pm

First i have heard of that. Send it back
The Drake
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:45 pm

Quality control at Remington. What a joke A guy pays lots of cash for a new gun and this is what they put out ? Remington going down the shitter
War Wagon
hunter

Postby vertical_edge_800 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:34 pm

The cap is always coming loose on mine. Pisses me off.
2nd Battalion, 1st Marines "The Professionals"
vertical_edge_800
hunter

Postby Park Duck » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:12 pm

Remington has fixed the cap problem. Call them and they will send you the parts free
Park Duck
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:29 pm

Again....QUALITY CONTROL.....Dont put a product out there with all these problems. They barely got it off the ground and they had a Major recall. Now call them for a cap, whats next ??? Why would anybody put good money in a gun with all these problems ? I know I'm going to get blasted on what I said.....Lets here it...
War Wagon
hunter

Postby steelheadslayer » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:54 am

War Wagon wrote:Again....QUALITY CONTROL.....Dont put a product out there with all these problems. They barely got it off the ground and they had a Major recall. Now call them for a cap, whats next ??? Why would anybody put good money in a gun with all these problems ? I know I'm going to get blasted on what I said.....Lets here it...

No reason to get blasted, you said it like it should be. Maybe a little blasting, you should have wrote........Let's hear it....... :hi:
"Opinions are like elbows, everyone seems to have a couple of em."-Phil Roberston
steelheadslayer
hunter

Postby The Drake » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:01 am

War Wagon wrote:Again....QUALITY CONTROL.....Dont put a product out there with all these problems. They barely got it off the ground and they had a Major recall. Now call them for a cap, whats next ??? Why would anybody put good money in a gun with all these problems ? I know I'm going to get blasted on what I said.....Lets here it...

Quality control in 2012.........My Maxus broke a gas spring after 1.5 years and 1000 shells. Friends Xtrema 2 did the same thing and Beretta has had his gun for 7 months. Guy I hunt with bought a Franchi I-12, jammed like crazy they gave him a new one that one jammed, they refunded his money. Several years ago another friend bought a Benelli Nova, it shot 12" high and 12" left, took it back and got a new one. Guy I hunt with his new A400 jams with 3.5" shells. Another guys SX3 jams with light loads. 2 best friends had 11-87, wow, you want to talk about pieces of junk.

Welcome to the world of quality control.........
The Drake
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:56 am

I have to agree...we are now living in a world of Corporate GREED. Get the product out and we will fix it later ........ :sad:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby POKER1 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:16 pm

War Wagon wrote:I have to agree...we are now living in a world of Corporate GREED. Get the product out and we will fix it later ........ :sad:

I guess they are all going down the chitter then. :lol3:
POKER1
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:51 pm

I will start by saying that I would like to have a versamax to run a few rounds thru as they seem to be a good design.. But every one I have handled has a sloppy fitting barrel. IMO sloppy is if I can wiggle it around at all like the forend on the new maxus, SLOPPY. The Versamax feels to me a lot like the MP-153 and Remingtons version of it. Good ideas but poor manufacturing or possibly just poor final fitting. Even the action although it looks like a Benelli copy it feels gritty like the Russian guns always do.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Park Duck » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:05 pm

Benelli "forends" are loose too. It's made like that for a reason. You got to have a little slack due to temp swings.
Park Duck
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:48 am

Park Duck wrote:Benelli "forends" are loose too. It's made like that for a reason. You got to have a little slack due to temp swings.

I have 4 of them and have had several more and not one of them is even a tiny bit loose. Also my gold and X2's are not loose. where did you come up with this? :huh: actually in years of being a dealer I have never seen a loose Benelli forend unless the cap was not properly tightened.

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby dwbiggs » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:20 am

Gotta Maxus in camo and the forend is fine...heard about loose ones on the early guns with wood stock. Haven't had a problem with mine no matter what load I shoot...can't be happier with the gun...so far. Have friend with VM and he hasn't had any problems with his.
Bonafide member of the National Ringneck Hunters Association(NRHA)
dwbiggs
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:57 pm

my maxus has a very tight fore end as well, I took it out and tested it just after seeing posts in this thread. it only wiggled a slight bit when i really threw some force into it.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:47 pm

That is interesting bacause all the ones at the local dealer can be easily moved all around even the sporting clays models. I was going to buy the maxus sporting but after seeing how sloppy it was I decided aginst it. I am now looking at the Silver sporting versions. I can out your hand around the barrel and forend at the receiver and squeeze slightly and they move a lot (my lot might be someone elses little) on all the ones I have handled. plus you can move them fore and aft and they feel "springy". Just not for me :thumbsup:

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum