Browning Auto-5 Barrel Modification

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Browning Auto-5 Barrel Modification

Postby shoooter75 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:25 pm

Hi there,

I just bought a 1983 Browning Auto-5 Magnum Twelve with a 32" full fixed barrel. I was contemplating sending the barrel to Carlson's to have it shortned to between 26"-28", lenghthen the forcing cone and having them put in their removalble choke system. Is there any reason why I shouldn't have this done in anyones opinion?? Any info would be great.
shoooter75
hunter

Re: Browning Auto-5 Barrel Modification

Postby apexhunter » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:31 pm

As long as they can shorten it to a point where the rib can be properly supported and look good then bore & thread for chokes I'd say go for it. The later models aren't in the "collectible" realm as of yet and it should be a good shooter. I wouldn't worry with the forcing cone as there's very little if any advantage with steel or no-tox shot.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby shoooter75 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:44 pm

Hey Apexhunter,

Thanks for the response. I was initially hesitant in bringing down the "Collecter's Value" however, since its really not a collectors item then I wont feel as bad! I was also contemplating the Poly-Choke, but heard some people were having patterning problems with them.
shoooter75
hunter

Postby Force Fetch » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:19 pm

Send it to Briley to have the bbl and choke work done and you will not regret it one bit. They have done work on a few of my target guns and you cannot tell they have been shortened and that the chokes didn't come with the gun from the factory. Let them know you are going to shoot non toxic/steel loads.
Wayne
Force Fetch
hunter

Postby shoooter75 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:17 pm

Thanks Wayne, Ill go ahead and give Briley a call.
shoooter75
hunter

Postby fullerman » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:18 pm

i would pattern it before you do all that nonsense, i own an early model a5 and its a shooter just like it is i have yet to see a gun that holds a better pattern. I shot a types of steel shot threw it and its yet to let me down yet.
fullerman
Newb

Postby duckdozer » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:11 pm

shoooter75 wrote:Hey Apexhunter,

Thanks for the response. I was initially hesitant in bringing down the "Collecter's Value" however, since its really not a collectors item then I wont feel as bad! I was also contemplating the Poly-Choke, but heard some people were having patterning problems with them.

All A-5's are collectable IMO, I bet it would be cheaper to find a barrell already made the way you want it than to send it to have that done. Then at least you have the original barrell for your A-5 that will be a collectors item in 40 yrs. I dont know that I have seen many 32" vent rib full choked barrels before usually it is 30" full. I am kinda sucker for all A-5s I wouldnt do it.

Also hve you ever seen a gun with the poly choke on it? It looks flat out rediculous and I look at them like someone used it for a t-post driver. Just looks disgusting to me to do that to a classic.
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 96
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:03 am

Google Rose Action Sports, call Steve and he can probably put Invector chokes in it. He did a barrel for me with Invector chokes and it has been perfect, poi/poa being right on.
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby shoooter75 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:15 pm

Thanks guys for all your input! Ill probabley pattern the gun with some Kent Tungsten #4 just to see how tight that full choke will throw the pattern at various range. Im planning a trip in January to Brinkley Arkansas for some green timber morning hunts followed by afternoon goose hunts. So im pretty sure the full might be alittle tight for the green timber, but I wont know till I pattern my gun. I actually found a 26" Invector Plus barrel for $380 but I didn't go for it.
shoooter75
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:55 pm

shoooter75 wrote:Thanks guys for all your input! Ill probabley pattern the gun with some Kent Tungsten #4 just to see how tight that full choke will throw the pattern at various range. Im planning a trip in January to Brinkley Arkansas for some green timber morning hunts followed by afternoon goose hunts. So im pretty sure the full might be alittle tight for the green timber, but I wont know till I pattern my gun. I actually found a 26" Invector Plus barrel for $380 but I didn't go for it.

I bet it costs all of that to have that work done to your barrell.
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 96
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby vacuum6 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:57 pm

If you decide to send in your barrel to carlsons to have it shortened and choke tubes installed, they will install a flush (to the end of the barrel)Tru-Choke brand choke tube. that choke tube is pretty short, about the same as an invector in length. they could install their Sporting Clays tube, which is an extended longer tube that protrudes out the end of the barrel. I sent in a barrel to carlsons and had 3 tru choke tubes installed. I had the barrel shortened also. all three patterned very poorly...terrible actually. I then, tried to trade them to carlsons for their extended longer sporting clay tubes). carlsons would not exchange them...so I went with Trulock extended tubes...which will fit in a tru-choke brand barel. the longer extended choke patterns much better than the shorter flush mount tubes. as a side note, i have two firearms with factory invector plus chokes. the PLUS invecter is longer than the regular invector. both of the shotguns with the factory invector PLUS pattern very very well. my point is.....the longer choke tubes pattern better than the carlson flush mount tru-choke system...at least for me (in three different guns).
vacuum6
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:08 am

you can find Auto-5 barrels on Gun broker and auction arms with choke tubes, I think Hastings used to make them too. I like the browning a-5's but for collector value I do not see it in this area. Nice ones sell in the $350 to $450 range for the light or magnum 12's. the 20's sometimes get a bit more if they are in excellent condition. if they have the box and all the original paperwork they go a little higher. My dad sold both of his 1964 light 12's for $350 each and had a hard time getting that much for them. One was a real pretty blond color and the other a dark oak. He bought them new in 64 as a pair one 28" and one 30". fixed full chokes and they shot steel shot just fine. He traded up to an X2 24" and a SXS.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum