Remington sportsman 58

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Remington sportsman 58

Postby Kory77 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:21 pm

I am new to the forums here and was wondering if some one has any information on the remington sportsman 58. I do know a little bit about the history but was wondering if some one works on them or knows about the gas piston metallurgy. My guns stoped ejecting And I thought I could buy a new piston ring but they only sell used one. I have had people look at it. I have had it to a couple of incompitant gun smiths one of wich had it for three months charged me for the dissassembly labor wich if any one know how these guns work it takes nothing to do. None the less I chocked it up for at least he tryed to look at it. Well took it apart to find nothing was done but an sloppy oil job a 2 year old could do. I was wondering if the gas/shell tube was harden steel? How hard if it is ? If the piston was harden or spring steel. I have even been to many gun supply parts places on line like numeric ect... They do sell some parts but are getting harder to find.i was wondering if I could make my own parts to make them work? Like piston ring?
Kory77
Newb

Re: Remington sportsman 58

Postby War Wagon » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:03 pm

Call John Mann Sporting Goods in Pinckneyville, ILL 1-618-357-2011. He is one of Remington's Top Gunsmith. :thumbsup:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby talltimber » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:59 pm

Good luck with it. A 58 in 16 ga. was the first auto I bird hunted with. It belonged to Dad, and it was his first auto. Great gun, never had a problem with it while I was carrying it.
talltimber
hunter

Postby Kory77 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:07 pm

Yes mine also belonged to my grand father , my father and now me. My father did nothing to it while he put hundreds if not thousands of rounds through it while on the farm. Handed down to me it never ejected shells. Though the years I haven't shot it much at all and would like to shoot some trap loads mabye.
Kory77
Newb

Postby Woodyard » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:08 pm

One of the first gas guns. Never owned one but as I recall they had to be adjusted for light or heavy loads. Could that be the problem?
2011-12:
Mourning doves 49
Buck antelope 1
Buck mule deer 1
Mallards 97
Wood ducks 3
Greenwing teal 24
Bluewing teal 2
Ring necks 8
Pintails 3
Wigeon 1
Gadwalls 1
Shovelers 2
Redheads 1
Canvasbacks 1
Bands 2
Woodyard
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:13 pm

Woodyard wrote:One of the first gas guns. Never owned one but as I recall they had to be adjusted for light or heavy loads. Could that be the problem?

Yep. There's a dial on the end of the forearm/magazine tube. Put on heavy it won't eject light loads, put on light and shoot heavy the action slams back hard enough to crack a stock. Spoken from experience! :biggrin:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Kory77 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:35 pm

Yes there is a dial adjustment in front of the fore arm but that is not the spicific problem it wil not eject target loads and barely eject hunting or even magnum loads. What I comes down to is the piston ring. they did back in the day make an superceeded part that Remington was putting out and made a couple of diffrent pistons but don't know the spacifics of the change over.
Kory77
Newb

Postby Kory77 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:37 pm

Thanks war wagon I will try to contact him some time this week when I get a chance.
Kory77
Newb

Remington sportsman 58

Postby gr8white » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:20 pm

I have one also and it is a fine gun for sure. It's been handed down through the family ranks and is on the third generation with me. I guess I've had it for close to 20 years and can only remember it jamming once....I'd consider that pretty darn good for a gun that's had more shells than you can imagine run through it.

I hope you can find somebody to get you running again. Those old 58's are hard to beat.
gr8white
hunter

Postby kindervb » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:14 am

I have a 58 that was my dads that I started hunting with. Ran into the same problem years ago and it was the O ring in the top of the forearm that had just worn out from shooting so much. It is not like the O ring on an 1100 but thicker and it fits in a groove in the top of the forend and the barrel rests on it. At the time we could not find one anywhere so my dad made one. You may want to see if that is the issue.
kindervb
hunter

Postby Sprigs68 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:01 pm

The 58 was the predecessor to the 1100 with very similar action and parts. I would suggest a thorough cleaning including: clean compensating dial/valve, exterior of magazine piston tube, action, and most importantly the action spring located in the butt stock. You may even want to replace the action spring which would be fairly inexpensive, try a Wolfe spring. Also, take some solvent and a couple of pipe cleaners to open up the ports from the barrel. These gas operated auto loaders are very reliable but need to be kept clean and free of excess oil. I like to use cls and wipe dry with a cotton rag. One more thing, make sure the chamber is very clean. Use a good solvent, a brass bore brush and a cordless drill - for some reason the new shot shells have been leaving plastic residue in the chambers.

Good luck, Sprigs
Sprigs68
hunter

Postby Kory77 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:56 pm

Thanks sprigg I am sorry I haven't responded I have been very busy.
Well I have been through the gun completely I just don't have any specs on the measurement for a caliper reading. I am really debating of replacing the piston ring with one that I could machine out of brass or bronze, Teflon or Mabye Teflon impregnated graphite brass. What ever I can get ahold of. Every thing is factory clean. As I have acess to an large ultrasonic cleaner that I put the parts through. But the problem still remain at the original question what type, how hard and what kind of metal is the piston ring made of. I will play with some of the materials soon and post when I can. Thank you to all who have responded and if any one has any ideas let me know I apreciate it. Kory77
Kory77
Newb

Postby steveus12 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:05 am

Hi,
Cannot answer your question as to what kind of metal the piston is made of. My 16ga '58 fits me better than any other gun and so it gets shot a lot. If it quits ejecting or any other problem, I completely disassemble and clean and it is just like new again. I'm sure you have done this, but be sure that you are taking the piston out of the magazine tube and cleaning the piston and the tube (just like you would scrub out a the barrel. There is no recoil spring in the buttstock, it's around the mag. tube as you know. Hope you have no other problem, great gun. There is a guy named David Snope that is known for carrying parts, see if you can do a search on him, I bought a barrel from him one time, used to sell parts on gunbroker I think.
steveus12
Newb

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum