Browning maxus not cycling trap loads

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Browning maxus not cycling trap loads

Postby perkis » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:17 pm

Hello all,

A little intro before I pose the issue. I bought my 3.5" maxus new 2.5 years ago. In the last couple of years I have shot about 1000 rounds for singles trap and roughly 150 steel shot for waterfowl. Also have shot about 100 pheasant loads and about 50 turkey loads.

The only issue that I have had with the gun is that after about 30-40 trap loads, the action seems to slow down. I use a piece of bicycle innertube as a homemade shell catcher and for the first 30 trap loads the bolt will stay open (like its supposed to). After around 30-40 shells, the bolt seems to slow down and not stay open when firing a single shell.

I clean my maxus after each night of trap (50 shells). This includes cleaning everything, except for the action tube in the buttstock. I clean the piston very well after each night of trap.

I have never had any issues with any rounds cycling except for trap loads and a couple weeks ago while shooting sporting clays, my gun waged turned into a single shot. I had to manually pull the bolt back to chamber the next round. This was very frustrating as I am religious about cleaning my firearms and consider myself quite intelligent regarding firearms. I have taken the stock off and cleaned out the action tube a few times and it looks spotless. I have put one drop of oil in tube hole each time taking it apart.

FYI, piston spring is not broken. I have cleaned out gas ports with a pipe cleaner and use clp and wipe dry. Gun is not oiled too heavy.

Trap loads used are estate 1-1/8, hndc dram, #8's.

Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
perkis
hunter

Re: Browning maxus not cycling trap loads

Postby apexhunter » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:55 pm

Just to eliminate the possibility of it causing the malfunction I would thoroughlly clean the recoil assembly in the stock and make sure the action and slides are properly lubricated. Even though the action is supposed to cycle lighter loads and a 1-1/8 oz hdcp load is not the lightest out there, any hiccup with maintenance can cause them to not fully cycle the action. Your problem could also be caused by dirty burning cartridges...I haven't shot many Estate to know how dirty or clean they burn but they coild be causing excessive carbon buildup ont he piston and mag tube or leaving un-spent powder residue in the gun.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby The Drake » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:56 pm

Clean the recoil tube.........
The Drake
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:37 pm

How's the seal in the ring that for a around the mag tube? Still a nice tight fit?
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby perkis » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:08 pm

Clamp,

If you're asking about the metal o ring around top of piston, then yes, it looks good.
perkis
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:52 pm

perkis wrote:Clamp,

If you're asking about the metal o ring around top of piston, then yes, it looks good.

Sorry my phone butchered what I meant to type. I mean the big rubber o-ring in that ring on the barrel that slides over the mag tube.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby perkis » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 pm

Clamp,
Yes, the rubber o ring inside ring around barrel is in good shape with no cracks or unusual wear.

I am going to buy a flat of federal 1-1/8 oz trap loads and see if the estates are my problem.

Thanks
perkis
hunter

Postby erp10 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:07 pm

Winchester AA Lites give me the same problem...usually on the last station of sporting clays. I just try to keep the gun clean the vest i can and keep a shooting partner with a nice O/U to finish the round with his gun :-)
erp10
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:13 am

My Maxus works just fine ,with the piston Clampdaddy loaned me I've shot 300 registered targets without any problems .
shooting 1 oz of feds and Rio's also some 1 1/8 hand-loads at 1200fps . I really like my Maxus !
3200 man
hunter

Postby The Drake » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:09 pm

3200 man wrote:My Maxus works just fine ,with the piston Clampdaddy loaned me I've shot 300 registered targets without any problems .
shooting 1 oz of feds and Rio's also some 1 1/8 hand-loads at 1200fps . I really like my Maxus !

Is that a sealed piston.........?
The Drake
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:18 pm

The Drake wrote:
3200 man wrote:My Maxus works just fine ,with the piston Clampdaddy loaned me I've shot 300 registered targets without any problems .

Is that a sealed piston.........?

Yeah, its my sealed piston.

Hey Larry, how are you liking that piston compared to the factory original one? You notice any difference in how clean your gun runs?
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:29 pm

Yes , and as I've said ,with the feds from Wally World you can't find a dirtier shell than that and I've not cleaned it since ,
just trying to see how dirty it can get . In a 100 shells with the stock spring ,I have to break the gun down and clean it ,because
it is so dirty I wouldn't trust it shooting competition targets .
3200 man
hunter

Postby perkis » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:24 pm

Update:

After completely stripping the gun including the recoil spring and shooting some federal 1-1/8 oz loads, the gun is still not cycling the second round in correctly. After i fire the first round, the action will cycle the spent shell out and close, but the next round is sitting on the carrier arm underneath the closed bolt.

Can someone check their maxus to see if the metal o ring INSIDE the piston spins freely or is locked in place?

On mine, the metal o ring on the OUTSIDE of the piston spins freely but the metal o ring on the INSIDE does not.
perkis
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:01 pm

I just checked mine and no, it doesn't fit loosely like the outside ring. I can stick my fingernail into the ring end gap and slowly rotate the ring but it is pretty hard to move.

Have you tried pulling the plug and totally filling the magazine to put extra tension on the mag spring? On my silver hunter I had a rust spot in the tube once that would hang up the plunger and cause a similar failure to feed. A short stroke from a weak piston spring venting off to much gas can do it too.

Another thing I've done to both of my brownings is that I removed the shell catches and used a dremel to take down the sharp edge that rides againced the head of the shell. I had a gun once that had an issue with the shell catch getting hung up in the headstamps on a certain brand of shell so now I do a quick de-horn on the catches of any new gun I get. Just a couple ideas.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby westksbowhunter » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:26 pm

Replace the recoil spring. I have to replace mine every 2 years or so. Springs are $10 bucks or so.
westksbowhunter
hunter

Postby TrqTTs » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:44 pm

Hey guys, I'm about to purchase a Maxus in 3 1/2". If I'm intending on doing some heavy skeet days, where can you go about buying a sealed piston? Would it be recommended for down & dirty cheap light skeet loads? Cheers
TrqTTs
Newb

Postby eastcoastsoxfan » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:48 am

westksbowhunter wrote:Replace the recoil spring. I have to replace mine every 2 years or so. Springs are $10 bucks or so.

Does your Maxus have cycling issues if you dont replace the springs every 2 years?
"The old school hunters shoot what they shoot and kill as many as they always have, the newbies have their 3.5."
eastcoastsoxfan
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:42 am

Stock springs are not a problem with the Maxus ,or any other gun , it's how well you clean and lube it that keeps it running .
I've put through close to 6000 rounds through mine now , with no problems . I have tried the sealed piston , that Clampdaddy
loaned me and I can say it saved me from having to clean the gun so often . It shoots cleaner with it and there is NO spring to
break . The Maxus is a fine gun for hunting and target shooting with the 3" chamber , 3" loads will do everything I need it to
do for waterfowl .
3200 man
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:28 pm

TrqTTs wrote:Hey guys, I'm about to purchase a Maxus in 3 1/2". If I'm intending on doing some heavy skeet days, where can you go about buying a sealed piston? Would it be recommended for down & dirty cheap light skeet loads? Cheers

I sent my piston to SRM Performance to have it sealed. If I remember right, it cost around $55 for the work and the shipping. I also bought another piston direct from Browning for $68. I use the sealed piston for most everything but I'll use the factory piston if I'm going to be shooting 3.5 inch shells (but the sealed piston is always in my blind bag, just in case).
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby wtrfwl havoc » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:45 am

I would bet on pretty good odds its a gas system problem. 95% of all problems with maxus, gold, sx2, and sx3 are gas related. Just because the piston spring isn't broke doesn't mean it insn't hanging up. I fought my old sx2 for months trying to find the problem. It was doing the same thing yours is doing. Everyone even the factory asked me if the spring was broken. Come to find out the piston is aluminum and the spring is steel. The aluminum eventually wears and can cause the spring to get cocked or bind eliminating operation. There was no apparent problem to the eye but when sure cycle recieved it to put a sleeve in it they called me and told me what they had found. Clampdaddy, might also be on to something. The o-ring may not appear to be cracked, but just like in automobiles or hydraulic systems o-rings get old. Its just their nature. When the get old they get hard, or flatten out therefore not producing a snug fit. Hince, the leak (in your case letting gasses escape where their not supposed to).
wtrfwl havoc
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:32 am

I agree that it's likely a gas system issue.

The piston could be stuck "open".
The gas rings could be worn, or "sprung".
The rubber o-ring could be leaking.
The gas piston cylinder could be worn or cracked.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby DoubleDutchChuck » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:50 pm

Bought my Maxus late last year and it came with a sealed piston. Have put about 2000 rounds thru it and it's been flawless. Are all the new Maxus guns coming with the sealed piston? If not, they should.
"Listen to those Whispering Wings"
DoubleDutchChuck
hunter

Postby Takeem406 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:26 pm

Never had a round not cycle..

Sent from my Tim Grounds Triple Crown
Takeem406
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:01 am

DoubleDutchChuck wrote:Bought my Maxus late last year and it came with a sealed piston. Have put about 2000 rounds thru it and it's been flawless. Are all the new Maxus guns coming with the sealed piston? If not, they should.
Your Maxus, and no other Maxus, has ever come with a sealed piston.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby ICDEDTURKES » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:08 am

wtrfwl havoc wrote:I would bet on pretty good odds its a gas system problem. 95% of all problems with maxus, gold, sx2, and sx3 are gas related. Just because the piston spring isn't broke doesn't mean it insn't hanging up. I fought my old sx2 for months trying to find the problem. It was doing the same thing yours is doing. Everyone even the factory asked me if the spring was broken. Come to find out the piston is aluminum and the spring is steel. The aluminum eventually wears and can cause the spring to get cocked or bind eliminating operation. There was no apparent problem to the eye but when sure cycle recieved it to put a sleeve in it they called me and told me what they had found. Clampdaddy, might also be on to something. The o-ring may not appear to be cracked, but just like in automobiles or hydraulic systems o-rings get old. Its just their nature. When the get old they get hard, or flatten out therefore not producing a snug fit. Hince, the leak (in your case letting gasses escape where their not supposed to).

Hands down the best thing I have ever done for my X2.. :wink:

DoubleDutchChuck wrote:Bought my Maxus late last year and it came with a sealed piston. Have put about 2000 rounds thru it and it's been flawless. Are all the new Maxus guns coming with the sealed piston? If not, they should.

I am curious about this statement on their site, I have very little experience handling a maxus.

An all-new, patented, enclosed seal design keeps powder residue out of the action for cleaner, reliable operation.
ICDEDTURKES
hunter

Next

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum