Mod chokes rule!

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Mod chokes rule!

Postby pweisbrod » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:24 pm

Switched to my factory mod criochoke in the new sbe 2 (third time shooting it)... Went from shooting a 33 to a 42 on sporting clays. Crushed tons of three clay series for fun after we finished up. Never been able to do that! I've always shot IC, now I'm never looking back. Mod for life! :bow: :bow: :bow:
Skyscraper.
pweisbrod
hunter

Re: Mod chokes rule!

Postby orphanedcowboy » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:34 am

Out of 50?

I use a LM most all the time now, Mod on windy days. I was challenged over a Shotgun World to tighten up a choke and it made a ton of difference on my visual scores, targets are now just a poof or a whiff, depends on me.
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:52 am

I usually shoot an O/U with an IC and Mod. if I am shooting AA loads I get a LOT tighter patterns than with top-gun or winchester target loads. The harder shot in AA's does make a difference and the same applies with my reloads, hard shot = tighter pattern so a trick I have learned from some competition shooters is that you can open your pattern just by going to a different load with soft shot. or if you are shooting the generic target loads and need a tighter pattern for a distant target throw in a AA or STS and gain a few yards. Some guys even carry a few spreader loads for the rabbits or real close in targets.

I would love to have a "free" day/week at the sporting clays course where I could shoot all 4 presentations from all 15 stations until I mastered them. Would like to be able to try every choke from full to skeet on every target just to see what difference it makes. also switching shot from 8's to 7.5's and hard to soft. :yes:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby copterdoc » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:01 am

A couple years ago, I realized that I was thinking about chokes way too much, and it was killing my confidence.

I decided to leave a LM in my gun, and quit worrying about what choke I had in. That was the best idea I have ever had.
copterdoc
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum