benelli supert sport 20ga

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

benelli supert sport 20ga

Postby fowlplay57 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:21 pm

Hello. I posted this on shotgun forum. Maybe a better response here. I want to shoot lite loads thru this gun. Only shells i have found that cycled were fiocchis 1250 fps. Any advice would be appreciated. Tried the wolfe recoil spring, but to no avail. Am I peeing against the wind?
fowlplay57
hunter

Re: benelli supert sport 20ga

Postby apexhunter » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:01 am

I've shot a Benelli 20 for several years and have never had a problem with Remington Sure Shot or Winchester target loads cycling the gun (not the Wally World promo stuff but decent loads). You might want to make sure the slide is properly lubricated to decrease the friction within the action.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby fowlplay57 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:13 am

Thanks for that apex. What kind of lube do you use?
fowlplay57
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:03 am

After cleaning my gun (and going through the recoil tube as well) I put a SMALL dab of Tetra Gun Grease in the slide channels of the receiver and insert the bolt sliding it back and forth a half dozen times to spread the lube out. Then I remove the bolt and wipe any excess grease from around (not inside) the channels...then continue re-assembly as normal.

This reduces the friction on the bolt allowing the gun to cycle as intended or with lighter loads. The critical thing is to have a clean and properly operating recoil spring assembly.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum