winchester model 42 magazine issue

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

winchester model 42 magazine issue

Postby toolmaker » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:30 pm

the little pump gun i have wont hold the shells in the mag tube.. there isnt anythign that looks like it will hold the shells back..you push them in and they just come right back out.

the part in the action that blocks the shell during the course of the action being moved....sees to stand outside the dia of the shell, when not enganged...from looking inside, the transfer bar that moves with the forearm is blocking that part from moving inward until the transfer bar has been moved backwards at least 3/4" everything looks good all the parts fit great.....

I know how it is supposed to work... most pumps are similar...at least a small part of that shell catch should hold back the shells until the action is moved somewhat....

i got the gun this way...

I have a dissasembly manual...but not an operators manual

I dont want to bend ior adjust anythign until i see another 42 that is working or hear from someone who knows

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Re: winchester model 42 magazine issue

Postby Oldman1949 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:50 pm

When you load a shell in the mag. tube it is supposed to slide back onto the carrier . There will be appox 1/2" of shell showing .The cut off is holding the shell in place and will block any more shells feeding from the mag. untill the one on the carrier is chambered .
Oldman1949
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:11 pm

wow, really.... I saw that but didnt think it was right....for some reason it looks messed up...

actually now that i think of it, it seemed like more than only 1/2" which is about the length of the brass.

ill give it another try tonight...i appreciate the reply

all the parts look great and they seem to work well...

the tool
toolmaker
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:54 pm

yeah i am not seeing how it works... i took the gun apart and thinking about how all the parts work, it must be that a portion of the magazine cutoff is missing..

there is no way the "TUBE" goes into the action.....it is screwed into the reciever mating block with that 1/2 turn thread.

since there is not much play or spring action on the cutoff... I am wondering how a shells get past it but then is supposed to be held in place...it would have to have some kind of springaway feature to allow the shell to go into the mag tube, but then it closes behind the shell to prevent it from feeding until another part of ther action activates the cuttoff.

I think a working 42 to look at would be worth while right now

the tool
toolmaker
hunter

Postby Oldman1949 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:45 pm

Have you actualy ran some shells thru the gun ? If not, do it . If it does not cycle do your self a big favor and take it to a smith that knows how to work on 42's .
I'm not being a smart ass but if you have never worked on one you can get in over your head in a very short time . That little piece that will end up bent , broken , or damaged will be very hard to replace not to mention the cost . And unless your manual is a original factory one it contains just enough info to get you into some serious trouble .
Oldman1949
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:18 pm

Oldman1949 wrote:Have you actualy ran some shells thru the gun ? If not, do it . If it does not cycle do your self a big favor and take it to a smith that knows how to work on 42's .
I'm not being a smart ass but if you have never worked on one you can get in over your head in a very short time . That little piece that will end up bent , broken , or damaged will be very hard to replace not to mention the cost . And unless your manual is a original factory one it contains just enough info to get you into some serious trouble .

where have you been?? shells wont stay in the mag tube!!!! how on earth can I "run some shells throught it"??????

there are thousands of guns I have never worked on.....but that dont mean i wont figure them out, with a little thought, maybe a little help, and maybe a little trial and error. I wont be forcing anything....

the tool
toolmaker
hunter

Postby Oldman1949 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:40 am

I've been out shooting my 42's .
Sorry to have wasted your time .
Oldman1949
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:37 am

Oldman1949 wrote:I've been out shooting my 42's .
Sorry to have wasted your time .

see all this time you could have taken a picture of your 42's action and solved the problem....

awful!!

seems the model 12s had the same problem..... the cutoffs wore

the tool
toolmaker
hunter

Postby Oldman1949 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:05 am

I could have if I wanted to take the side plate off and my camera was at home . But I didn't and it wasn't , instaed I attempted to tell you what to check and how it is supposed to work . But I don't know what I'm talking about . So fix what isn't broken and then pay to have it done correctly .
Oldman1949
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum