REMINGTON FRONT BEAD

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

REMINGTON FRONT BEAD

Postby MICHIDUCK » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:30 pm

I purchased an older Remington 870 Express. I have since refinished it in flat black Duracote. I have installed a Hogue stock and forearm. All that is left is a nice fiber optic front bead. Big time problems have occured. Could not get the front sight out of the gun. it seems that it has been pressed in and is not threaded. I have damaged the finish, and the steel bead. I've takenit to the gunsmith who is planning on drilling it out at a cost of $40. I wish I would have left it alone and put a magnetic fiber optic on. Anyone have experience with the pressed in bead? Anyone have alteritive ideas?
MICHIDUCK
hunter

Re: REMINGTON FRONT BEAD

Postby BBK » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:05 pm

File it off and put on a magnetic sight. Or you can drill it out and tap it for a screw in bead if you want to buy the tap.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Re: REMINGTON FRONT BEAD

Postby clampdaddy » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:14 pm

Yep, I had the same issue with mine. Broke the bead off and then found out that the shank was staked in. It wouldn't drill out because it would just spin in the hole so I used some super glue (the thin one not the gel) to lock it in place. Then it drilled out real easy.
clampdaddy
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum