Rem 870 Wingmaster fail to fire

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Rem 870 Wingmaster fail to fire

Postby Quackie » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:19 am

I shot a few rounds of 5 stand sporting clays today with my 1999 Rem wingmaster. During my second round, I had a failure to fire. It happened a few times. The problem was persistent enough that I had to finish the round with a different gun.

I had racked the slide all the way back, loaded the chamber, racked the slide all the way forward, called for a target, and pulled the trigger as I've done hundreds of times. There was no click, and no bang. The trigger felt soft, much like it does after you fire, or when you "fire" while the action is open. I do feel a little catch when I pull the trigger while the problem occurs. After pulling the trigger, the action cannot be opened without pressing the action release. The shell primer is not dented.

The puller at the range suggested something may be stuck in the trigger assembly, or there could be something loose, cracked or missing. I removed the trigger assembly and played with it. It's pretty clean. The trigger assembly appears to work normal while the problem happens, but the trigger does not release the hammer. I have run at least 7500 shells through this gun in it's lifetime.

Anybody know what's happening? :huh:
Quackie
hunter

Re: Rem 870 Wingmaster fail to fire

Postby Webb » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:22 am

Make sure the plug is in the right way.
Webb
Newb

Re: Rem 870 Wingmaster fail to fire

Postby Quackie » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:17 am

Ok, I figured it out myself.

I have a broken action bar lock spring. The mechanism had felt kinda weird for a few years, and I didn't know why, and it had not caused any problems before, but that was not the only cause of the failure. :huh:

The real problem was a 7.5 lead BB got lodged between part of the action bar lock and the bottom of the trigger plate assembly. When you point the muzzle up, the BB would roll back and lodge in a particular spot. That prevented the action bar lock from returning to it's locked position under spring tension. (My spring is broken.) If the action bar lock is not fully down, it will disengage the trigger. The trigger then will not release the hammer when pulled. I removed the BB and tested the trigger several times and it worked fine. How did the BB get there? I had tested my first batch of reloads that day, and a couple shells had funky dished crimps that leaked shot.

My dad also has an 870. I stuck the BB in the same spot on my dad's trigger assembly and made that fail too. problem isolated and solved.

Still need a new action bar lock spring, but at least my gun won't be sitting in a smith's shop while I'm sitting in a blind on opening weekend. :thumbsup:
Quackie
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum