11-48 Extractor removal.

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

11-48 Extractor removal.

Postby T Man » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:31 pm

Obsolete gun, but maybe someone has some experience. I was out shooting my grandpas Sportsman 48 (11-48 made to hold 3 shells) last weekend and ran into an extractor problem. It would not pull out winchester brass. Federal and Remingtons came out alright. The easy answer is to not shoot winchester, but that isnt good enough. The gun may look rough, but mechanically I want it like the day it was new. I just ordered a new extractor and spring from Numrich, but earlier when I had the bolt all pulled apart I couldnt figure out how the extractor came out. No roll pins I could see holding it in. Anyone have any experience?

Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Re: 11-48 Extractor removal.

Postby Sprigs68 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:41 pm

I believe the extractor is similar to the 870 and 1100, whereas a spring and plunger retains the extractor. Carefully pull back the plunger with a small screwdriver and the extractor should almost fall out. Be careful to maintain a hold on the plunger in the meantime as you don't want it shooting across the room.

Sprigs
Sprigs68
hunter

Re: 11-48 Extractor removal.

Postby T Man » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:56 pm

Just a follow up in case someone finds this a few years from now.

Extractor is held in by plunger and spring. Push plunger and spring backwards and rotate extractor towards bolt face.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum