Camo barrel with black stock and receiver?

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Camo barrel with black stock and receiver?

Postby dysco » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:14 pm

I have an M2 in 20ga that gets used at least 3 times a week. I got caught in a rare rainstorm the other day and had to get to work fast... so my barrel ended up rusting pretty bad overnight with the salt from the brackish water I had been in. After some effort with a cloth, I decided that the bluing wasn't salvagable, so I took a scotch-brite pad and cleaned it all up. I'm now currently in discussions with my wife about painting the barrel with a camo pattern or re-bluing. She thinks it's all or nothing. The stock is the standard black comfortech with the nice grippy coating and I like it. The gun is in no way new and I bought it very used, but it's still a Benelli, and I'm stuck with my so-so beretta 12ga until this gets figured out.

Thoughts on camo for the barrel only? The receiver is aluminum and didn't rust so I'd rather not paint it.
dysco
hunter

Re: Camo barrel with black stock and receiver?

Postby T Man » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:41 pm

Look into Black T coating. I think it costs 50 to have a barrel done. Im sending mine off after season to have it done.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby jpari » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:04 am

I was not aware that Beretta made a so-so gun. Which gun are you referring to?
jpari
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:36 am

Oh wow! You say that you have a steel barrel connected to an aluminum receiver?

With that combination of materials...all you do is add water and the "water, steel, aluminum" combination creates an electric battery. If you don't believe me...get the gun wet and put a meter on it. Connect the positive to the aluminum and the negative to the steel. This electric reaction is an oxidation-reduction reaction and is what caused the barrel to rust VERY FAST.

The solution to your problem is to get a stainless steel barrel or...NEVER get that gun wet because it'll rust like crazy.
Poor material science in the choice of materials. Hard to believe Benelli would make such a concoction.

I went to school to be a Mechanical Engineer. That's how I know this stuff. I also have foolishly used steel screws on my aluminum jon boat. The screws rust away quickly if they're not made of stainless steel.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby eastcoastsoxfan » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:07 pm

Id paint the reciever to just so it matched a bit
"The old school hunters shoot what they shoot and kill as many as they always have, the newbies have their 3.5."
eastcoastsoxfan
hunter

Postby T Man » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:12 pm

aunt betty wrote:Oh wow! You say that you have a steel barrel connected to an aluminum receiver?

With that combination of materials...all you do is add water and the "water, steel, aluminum" combination creates an electric battery. If you don't believe me...get the gun wet and put a meter on it. Connect the positive to the aluminum and the negative to the steel. This electric reaction is an oxidation-reduction reaction and is what caused the barrel to rust VERY FAST.

The solution to your problem is to get a stainless steel barrel or...NEVER get that gun wet because it'll rust like crazy.
Poor material science in the choice of materials. Hard to believe Benelli would make such a concoction.

I went to school to be a Mechanical Engineer. That's how I know this stuff. I also have foolishly used steel screws on my aluminum jon boat. The screws rust away quickly if they're not made of stainless steel.

And yet Benelli and several other manufacturers use this exact same formula for their guns. The Al is painted, the barrel is parkerized. The parkerization wears off and needs to be repaired.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby dysco » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:43 pm

jpari wrote:I was not aware that Beretta made a so-so gun. Which gun are you referring to?

:lol3:

It's an AL390, my first duck gun that came on loan from a friend until I broke down and bought it after dropping my first goose. I like it ok, but the M2 fits me like a glove. I'm always working to keep a good sight picture on the Beretta... and it hates the really cold weather we get here in the winter. Many failures to feed the second round when the geese come over on chilly mornings.
dysco
hunter

Postby dysco » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:47 pm

There's primer on the barrel. I think I'm into it for $12 in new materials. If it sucks I'll sand it off in the summer and blue it, but the gun has to be up and working this weekend. I'm tempted to do the receiver, but I'd have to sand off the nice finish. We'll see how the barrel turns out; that's the only part that sticks out of the reeds anyway.
dysco
hunter

Postby dysco » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:53 pm

T Man wrote:And yet Benelli and several other manufacturers use this exact same formula for their guns. The Al is painted, the barrel is parkerized. The parkerization wears off and needs to be repaired.

And the gun weighs under 6lbs due to the feather-light receiver...

BTW, the steel/Al drama comes when the two metals are unfinished and directly mated, such as spark plugs in an aluminum head, etc. The barrel and receiver are separate parts that fit together without serious friction. They also come apart frequently for service. No drama.
dysco
hunter

Postby william costa » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:24 pm

hell just etch prime the barrel and paint it flat black wit a rattle can.u can clear it wit a dead flat acrylic rattle can also.if ya dont etch prime, it wont stay on very well.u really want it to stick have the barrel bead blasted wit glass beads then etch prime and paint.when i camo coat guns they get bead blasted etch primed,base coated,dipped then cleared.
william costa
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:18 pm

If you don't want to paint the stocks I'd either paint the barrel black or paint the receiver and the barrel with a matching color. I saw an 870 that a guy did where he left the stocks black and did the barrel and receiver in ceracote burnt bronze. It looked pretty sweet.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby damarshall7 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:15 am

Did you really expect non-stainless steel to last in any capacity on a boat? Where did you get your ME from, some online university?
damarshall7
hunter

Postby T Man » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:33 am

damarshall7 wrote:

Did you really expect non-stainless steel to last in any capacity on a boat? Where did you get your ME from, some online university?

Bet he ran them into treated wood too....
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby dysco » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:38 pm

Aaaand to bring this back on topic...

It came out nice enough that I'm probably going to do the receiver this spring. I was concerned that the paint would obscure the stamped lettering but you can see every mark clearly. It looks good, and cost $15. I'm going to take it out tomorrow since the base will have had 2 days to cure. The exterior layer says it only needs 2 hours to hard cure.
dysco
hunter

Postby dysco » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:15 pm

It still works! :lol3:

Splashed 3 this morning. The barrel got a few light scratches from the chicken wire in the blind I use. I figure I can always wet-sand and add a coat of paint when it needs one. No big deal.
dysco
hunter

Postby davescarp » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:11 pm

when i first read the title, I thought wow that would look weird.. but after seeing the pic, it's pretty good. nice job!
davescarp
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum