Duck Hunting Forum banner

SBE2 issues. Need some input

4K views 35 replies 9 participants last post by  Cafowler 
#1 ·
I've had my SBEII for 3 full seasons. First two were completely flawless. Literally did not have a single malfunction. Last year, I moved to Idaho and it started double feeding and stove piping. But, my main issue was the double feed. I think I fixed that issue with my cleaning techniques.

But, today, I had 2 "benelli clicks" and several stove pipe jams. I don't want to have a whole season of issues, so I'm trying to fix it early. It's just so weird that it was completely perfect for 2 seasons, then it started to have a stroke last year. :lol3:

Any ideas?

#4 ·
If you tap the butt of the shotgun on the ground (or similar) after loading it, it can dislodge the bolt a tiny bit and cause the gun not to fire when the trigger is pulled. All you hear is a click without the firing pin being hit nor the primer being struck.

Its pretty well documented if you google it.

#10 ·
daffy... said:
Send me a link please, what do they run. Is it just a strong spring? Will it be to much for my skeet loads?
Should he drive over to your house and fix it for you, too? :fingerhead:

Its called Google. Try it out. Any man that can scout for ducks can use a search engine. :yes:

BTW when you put the new Wolff spring in, your days of shooting skeet loads in that gun are over. :sad:

Also, my guess is you have not really cleaned the recoil spring tube and spring assembly. Most folks on this forum talk about changing the spring, but what about the tube and assembly? It has been my experience that you need to really, REALLY douche the tube out with CLP Breakfree. A lot of crud gathers in the tube. It takes 2 people to do it; one to hold the gun steady and another one to use needle nose pliars to pull the pin out.

Additionally, most people do not clean and lube the bolt carrier assembly, and most importantly, the bottom side of the BCA. I talked with the Benelli factory rep this spring and he told me that was the # 1 failure of Benelli owners. He also said that one little detail will go a long way towards not having problems.

There is everyone elses opinion about cleaner, and then there is CLP breakfree. CLP was developed by the Marine Corp. It is by far the best solvent you will find for a waterfowling shotgun. It does not freeze. You can buy it at Walmart for $5

You have an excellent gun. Read the book and CLEAN it. They always work better when they are properly maintained.

#11 ·
TomKat said:
daffy... said:
Send me a link please, what do they run. Is it just a strong spring? Will it be to much for my skeet loads?

Its called Google. Try it out. Any man that can scout for ducks can use a search engine. :yes:

BTW when you put the new Wolff spring in, your days of shooting skeet loads in that gun are over. :sad:

Also, my guess is you have not really cleaned the recoil spring tube and spring assembly. Most folks on this forum talk about changing the spring, but what about the tube and assembly? It has been my experience that you need to really, REALLY douche the tube out with CLP Breakfree. A lot of crud gathers in the tube. It takes 2 people to do it; one to hold the gun steady and another one to use needle nose pliars to pull the pin out.

Additionally, most people do not clean and lube the bolt carrier assembly, and most importantly, the bottom side of the BCA. I talked with the Benelli factory rep this spring and he told me that was the # 1 failure of Benelli owners. He also said that one little detail will go a long way towards not having problems.

There is everyone elses opinion about cleaner, and then there is CLP breakfree. CLP was developed by the Marine Corp. It is by far the best solvent you will find for a waterfowling shotgun. It does not freeze. You can buy it at Walmart for $5

You have an excellent gun. Read the book and CLEAN it. They always work better when they are properly maintained.
I found it but most times it's not that easy. Won't throw skeet loads... Guess ill have to find that 20g over under I've been wanting

#12 ·
daffy... said:
I think it's like 12 or so bucks. Just google Wolfe spring xp. Should be one of the first links.

I like it a lot. When you first get it there is no way you can get it to cycle light target loads. I found even some weak dove loads don't cycle.

However I have an m2 without the spring that I use for target and my SBE with the Wolfe spring. But I've had my Wolfe spring for several years and its getting pretty broken in. It'll cycle lighter loads relatively consistently now. Toying with the idea of putting the old Wolfe spring in the m2 and getting a new Wolfe for the SBE. I will say this, once you put a Wolfe in you'll realize how much your bolt was crawling before hand. It's lighting fast with the Wolfe.

#13 ·
TomKat said:
daffy... said:

CLP is what I use. And I clean the recoil spring tube almost every time I clean the gun. I always pull everything apart to clean it.

I always disassemble the bolt, clean, and lube the rails. I ordered both XP springs from Wolff last night (recoil and mag). Hope that helps.

I appreciate the help guys.

#16 ·
Yea, it's a duck gun 99.9% of the time, so I'm not worried about shooting clays.

Hopefully I'll get her figured out.

Also, in freezing temps, I had a little better luck with running the gun almost completely dry except a drop of oil on each rail. How much oil are you guys using in 5-30* weather? I came up from southern CA, so the gun never hunted below 60*. Idaho makes it a little more temperamental.

Thanks a lot for the help.

Tom :beer:

#24 ·
TROB,
Be careful installing those springs, especially the magazine spring. Eye protection may be a good idea.

I installed my +25% spring nearly 2 years ago now. It has been great in all that time, IMO really makes the gun a superior performer in the nasty conditions that is waterfowling. Some will say it is not needed (as well it may), however for $12.99 I don't see how you can go wrong. I've been shooting light trap loads through my M2 Field from the day I installed the spring, never once have I had cycling issues with light or heavy loads. One thing I did notice is this: if I were to hip shoot the gun w/ +25% spring installed I would get cycling hang ups with light 2 3/4" 1 oz. loads (clearly not the intended use of the gun). Whereas before I installed the spring I could shoot light loads like this all day long without hang up. Not a huge concern, but an observation.

I clean my firearm relatively frequently, however I have been not doing a good job as of late. I last cleaned my gun in July and I only mildly used it throughout the last bit of the summer: for a few rounds of trap, a weekend of sporting clays, misc shooting in the woods/patterning, early dove and goose seasons, and now two consecutive weekends of duck hunting. I definitely havent put a lot through it in that time but no matter the amount of rounds w/o cleaning, the gun works perfectly and definitely deserves a cleaning. When I do clean my guns, I like using compressed air for removing debris in hard to reach areas, then using a conservative amount of CLP, blowing out excess lube with the air. I disassemble the recoil spring assembly twice a year and give it a thorough cleaning. I seem to have had great success with my Benelli firearm and I hope it continues!! In the next year or two I may go ahead and replace the spring with another +25% spring from Wolff.

Hope it all works out!

#25 ·
jones

you ever had this happen. these are rounds that are catching a sharp edge entering the chamber. i lightly filed down the sharp spot cus the idea of altering the chamber made me really uncomfortable. im wondering if theres anyone else with many miles on there m2/sbe2 with this problem

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.