SBE2 issues. Need some input

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Postby DanJeffandJack » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:03 pm

Dry as hell
vincentpa wrote:The southern boys get it all. It's not right.
DanJeffandJack
hunter

Re: SBE2 issues. Need some input

Postby njonesy_07 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:26 pm

daffy... wrote:jones

you ever had this happen. these are rounds that are catching a sharp edge entering the chamber. i lightly filed down the sharp spot cus the idea of altering the chamber made me really uncomfortable. im wondering if theres anyone else with many miles on there m2/sbe2 with this problem

Can't say that I've had the issue. Does the gun still chamber or cycle? How many rounds or years have you put through it? I've put my gun through 3 waterfowl season and a month shy of 3 total years....lots of 3" rounds, sporting clays etc etc. I would estimate several thousand rounds, perhaps 5k? Probably more? Honestly I don't know.

I'd definitely say I've put my M2 through the wringer a time or two, nothing report for issues. I would contact Benelli.

What does the chamber look like (the grooves where the bolt and barrel extension contact and lock-up)? Are there noticeable sharp edges? Maybe take pictures and include those in an email to Benelli. :hi:
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby TomKat » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:26 am

you ever had this happen. these are rounds that are catching a sharp edge entering the chamber. i lightly filed down the sharp spot cus the idea of altering the chamber made me really uncomfortable. im wondering if theres anyone else with many miles on there m2/sbe2 with this problem

What are you doing with those ugly gray sumbitches? The only worse shell I ever came across were Winchester Experts, kryptonite to my gun. At least the Clark Kents cycled ok.

My gun really likes Federal Blue Box Premiums. They are the Superman shells.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby daffy... » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:10 am

TomKat wrote:

What are you doing with those ugly gray sumbitches? The only worse shell I ever came across were Winchester Experts, kryptonite to my gun. At least the Clark Kents cycled ok.

My gun really likes Federal Blue Box Premiums. They are the Superman shells.

those are kents, expert is red. kents number 2s with my carlson mod is a meannnnn set up. stone everything with in 40 yards. ive got a truglo sight thats like 5 inchs long. when the sight shows red. its dead.

njonesy_07 wrote:

Can't say that I've had the issue. Does the gun still chamber or cycle? How many rounds or years have you put through it? I've put my gun through 3 waterfowl season and a month shy of 3 total years....lots of 3" rounds, sporting clays etc etc. I would estimate several thousand rounds, perhaps 5k? Probably more? Honestly I don't know.

I'd definitely say I've put my M2 through the wringer a time or two, nothing report for issues. I would contact Benelli.

What does the chamber look like (the grooves where the bolt and barrel extension contact and lock-up)? Are there noticeable sharp edges? Maybe take pictures and include those in an email to Benelli. :hi:

just where the brass seats in the chamber itself is sharp. it will "benelli click" probably every 75th round becuase of that. i have 5 season on mine. two of which very hardcore, serious hikes over maines rock coast, submerged in mud, floated across salt water eddies. id say i shoot a case and change in ammo a season. then probably half, 3/4 case in clays during the off season. i do however clean it almost everytime i use it, its just to easy. one pin and the bolt is tool free
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby TROB » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:42 pm

MAN.....that wolff XP magazine spring ain't no joke! :lol3: my hands were cramping up, i had one spring explosion in my living room, if there was a centimeter of space it would blow out the side,and now i feel like i have arthritis (at 25 y/o)....but i got it after a little practice :beer:

recoil spring was a piece of cake. I cycled some dove and pigeon loads without a problem. Even tried it from the hip, and it cycled fine.

thanks for the help guys, hopefully this fixes the problems.

:grooving:
Idaho...
TROB
hunter

Postby Duckslayer19 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:26 am

The click is normal if you bump it on the ground. There is not enough force to re-close the bolt when that happens. If you are not bumping it on the ground then it sounds like you are easing the bolt forward. On a benelli, always let the bolt slam or use the slide lock and press the bolt release button when loading a round. As for the stove pipe jams, it sounds like you may have something in the recoil spring tube. While the gun is disassembled use a punch or a nail to compress the recoil spring enough to spray solvent into the tube and allow any foreign matter to drain out, use the whole can if needed. Hold it open long enough to dry and spray a couple of small squirts of oil in(not much).
See if that works before spending the money on replacement springs. Hope this helps
Duckslayer19
hunter

Postby TROB » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:30 pm

Duckslayer19 wrote:The click is normal if you bump it on the ground. There is not enough force to re-close the bolt when that happens. If you are not bumping it on the ground then it sounds like you are easing the bolt forward. On a benelli, always let the bolt slam or use the slide lock and press the bolt release button when loading a round. As for the stove pipe jams, it sounds like you may have something in the recoil spring tube. While the gun is disassembled use a punch or a nail to compress the recoil spring enough to spray solvent into the tube and allow any foreign matter to drain out, use the whole can if needed. Hold it open long enough to dry and spray a couple of small squirts of oil in(not much).
See if that works before spending the money on replacement springs. Hope this helps

I clean my recoil spring tube a LOT. Probably every other cleaning, it all gets broken down completely.

thanks for the advice though. It has been perfect for 3 trips so far.
Idaho...
TROB
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:05 pm

TROB wrote:I clean my recoil spring tube a LOT. Probably every other cleaning, it all gets broken down completely.

That seems like a lot of work! Taking the recoil spring assembly is pretty simple, but I certainly wouldn't want to do it every other cleaning. I normally take mine apart twice a year. Once after waterfowl season and then again after the "off-season" shooting season before waterfowl season begins again.
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby T Man » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:31 pm

njonesy_07 wrote:
TROB wrote:I clean my recoil spring tube a LOT. Probably every other cleaning, it all gets broken down completely.

That seems like a lot of work! Taking the recoil spring assembly is pretty simple, but I certainly wouldn't want to do it every other cleaning. I normally take mine apart twice a year. Once after waterfowl season and then again after the "off-season" shooting season before waterfowl season begins again.

Mine comes apart every cleaning. Personal preference.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby TomKat » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:33 pm

I do my rsa once a year. That seems to do the trick.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Cafowler » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:19 pm

TROB... You may want to also check in the receiver across from the bolt release lever... If you can see a wron spot n there and can feel a little diviot there you can take the bolt release out and clip one coil and then 1/4 coil after that until its not jamming the brass against that side.... That's what the benelli guy walked me though :-)
Somewhere a small town has awoken, only to find the village idiot has left and taken his shotgun....
Cafowler
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum