Corrosion Issues

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Corrosion Issues

Postby Cougar125 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:57 pm

I keep my guns clean and oiled, but this year I've started hunting tidal marshes. After the hunts, within an hour, I notice a light coat of rust developing on the receiver and barrel of my gun. I was wondering what the best way to prevent further corrosion would be. I strip and clean my gun thoroughly after the hunts, but aside from that, what are my options? Duracoat? Re-bluing? I want to prolong the life of my gun as long as possible without spending as much as I would on a new one.
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Re: Corrosion Issues

Postby The Drake » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:36 pm

Eezox...........
The Drake
hunter

Postby ashaw » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:00 pm

Get the gun dipped
ashaw
hunter

Postby T Man » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:05 pm

The solution depends on your budget.

The cheapest option is to get a matte or flat clear, scrub the rust spots with 0000 steel wool, wipe the gun down with brake parts cleaner to remove any oil and the spray it. The gun could also be painted using the gun painting steps found in the Shotgun sub forum.

If you are wanting to spend a little more money, you could get the gun dipped or coated. For this there are TONS of options
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum