Benelli M2 cycling issue

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Benelli M2 cycling issue

Postby MOdnj » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:41 pm

Buddy has a brand new M2 he just sighted in for the first time. Shoots great, ejects empty and cylces in new round, but won't fire it. Like the hammer doesn't recock during the recoil process. Can't imagine a slug not having the inertia to properly function the action here.

My brother's suggestion was to drop the trigger group, degrease everything and then oil it all back up before reinstalling.

Thoughts?
MOdnj
hunter

Re: Benelli M2 cycling issue

Postby T Man » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:45 pm

MOdnj wrote:Buddy has a brand new M2 he just sighted in for the first time. Shoots great, ejects empty and cylces in new round, but won't fire it. Like the hammer doesn't recock during the recoil process. Can't imagine a slug not having the inertia to properly function the action here.

My brother's suggestion was to drop the trigger group, degrease everything and then oil it all back up before reinstalling.

Thoughts?

A thorough cleaning is the first thing I would do.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby njonesy_07 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:38 am

Agreed, clean first.

It seems like the gun may not be fully chambering the new load, meaning that the rotating bolt head is not fully engaged. This is commonly referred to as Benelli Click and tends to be present in brand new guns that havent been broken in yet. My suggestion would be to continue shooting the gun lots. Those sharp unworn edges inside the chamber haven't had a chance to smooth out yet w/ use and could likely be the culprit.
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby TomKat » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:05 am

Why is he breaking it in with slugs?
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby njonesy_07 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:21 am

Taking skybusting to the next level? :hi:
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby T Man » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:15 pm

If it is a new gun there is a good chance the factory packing grease is the culprit. Pull it apart, clean EVERYTHING then put it back together dry.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby duckslayer74 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:33 pm

TomKat wrote:Why is he breaking it in with slugs?

Why not? Good powerful loads are great for break-in, maybe he had a bunch laying around.
Winchester SX2 12ga, SX3 20ga, Kicks Highflyer and Terror chokes.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:04 pm

Since he is sighting it, I am guessing it is a slug gun?

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 2
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby StoneTower » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:56 pm

Lube it up sloppy wet with Break Free CLP. Never run a gun dry. Machines need lube. I have fixed several guns that would not work in the field with a few squirts of the little CLP bottle I carry in my choke tube case.
StoneTower
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:38 pm

StoneTower wrote:Lube it up sloppy wet with Break Free CLP. Never run a gun dry. Machines need lube. I have fixed several guns that would not work in the field with a few squirts of the little CLP bottle I carry in my choke tube case.

Some lube, yes. Definitely not sopping wet. If you hunt in any kind of inclement weather, that excess lube will get thick and collect dirt, un-burnt powder flakes which will have potential cycling effects.

I don't run mine completely dry since we don't get extremely cold temps in Western Oregon. However, I typically have a drop of CLP on each rail and the underside of the bolt.
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Benelli M2 cycling issue

Postby talltimber » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:34 am

X2. I run mine dry in cold weather. Early season may have a drop or two on it, that's it.
talltimber
hunter

Postby T Man » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:24 pm

StoneTower wrote:Lube it up sloppy wet with Break Free CLP. Never run a gun dry. Machines need lube. I have fixed several guns that would not work in the field with a few squirts of the little CLP bottle I carry in my choke tube case.

The bearing/friction surfaces are so small in the Inertia guns you can run them dry. I have for the last 10 years with no noticeable wear and no problems
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:54 am

On the Benellis you can look into the slot behind the bolt and see if the hammer is cocked or still riding up behind the bolt. Is he shooting it from a Lead sled? if he is it will not cycle completely and will give you this issue. the benellis must move during recoil to function. Also my M2 tactical will not cycle some slugs, buck shot and target loads with the 18" barrel on it, with the 24" barrel it functions fine. try some hotter loads if the trigger cleaning does not resolve th eissue.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum