SX3 Problem

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

SX3 Problem

Postby gmkempf » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:19 pm

A friend has a SX3 that will not cycle for nothing. My son has one that works flawless. I have personally cleaned and lubed my friends gun per specs and it will only fire once. Any ideas. Thanks.
gmkempf
hunter

Re: SX3 Problem

Postby copterdoc » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:30 pm

Check the spring inside the piston.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:44 pm

Does your bolt cycle properly when you cycle it by hand? Possible recoil spring broken or dirty, My buddies X2 did the same thing and his ended up being crud inside the recoil spring tube that was jamming up the plunger. I took it all apart, cleaned and put a very light coat of oil in the recoil spring tube and it workerd perfectly.
Winchester SX2 12ga, SX3 20ga, Kicks Highflyer and Terror chokes.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby gmkempf » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:52 pm

He took the recoil spring apart and cleaned it. Did not help.
gmkempf
hunter

Postby wtrfwl havoc » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:33 pm

Its the gas piston. All sx3,sx2, and maxus have gas piston issues eventually. It is a terrible design flaw that browning has chosen to ignore. Send it in to srm performance products. They will sleeve it for you and you will never have a problem again.
wtrfwl havoc
hunter

Postby ICDEDTURKES » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:52 am

wtrfwl havoc wrote:Its the gas piston. All sx3,sx2, and maxus have gas piston issues eventually. It is a terrible design flaw that browning has chosen to ignore. Send it in to srm performance products. They will sleeve it for you and you will never have a problem again.

I put this off forever on a X2, clean, sure cycle kit, mag tube kit etc to no avail. Sent the spring in and have been hunting it non stop for a couple a weeks and it cured all cycling problems.. It is the fix.
ICDEDTURKES
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:35 pm

What's wrong with the spring in the piston? I've never had an ounce of problem with my X2 but I know things wear out and I want to be informed.
Winchester SX2 12ga, SX3 20ga, Kicks Highflyer and Terror chokes.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:44 pm

duckslayer74 wrote:What's wrong with the spring in the piston? I've never had an ounce of problem with my X2 but I know things wear out and I want to be informed.
It breaks.

It's hard to spot, until you know what to look for.

http://gas-piston-springs.com/
copterdoc
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:05 pm

copterdoc wrote:
duckslayer74 wrote:What's wrong with the spring in the piston? I've never had an ounce of problem with my X2 but I know things wear out and I want to be informed.
It breaks.

It's hard to spot, until you know what to look for.

http://gas-piston-springs.com/

The internal spring compressor that they show at the gas piston springs .com site is cheap to make and comes in real handy. I have used mine on lots of different friends' guns. For the rubber part I used a small hole saw and cut a plug out of an old mud terrain tire. Jyrki is a good guy to deal with. I had a problem with one of his springs, he quickly sent me two more free of charge. I prefer to run sealed pistons now.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby youngoilguy » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:10 am

you can always just buy a new gas collar from winchester. about $100
assateague wrote:I hunt to kill. It's why I take a gun instead of a camera. And it's a goose- lighten up.

best quote ever
youngoilguy
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum