proper cleaning

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

proper cleaning

Postby acarls57 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:55 pm

I started shooting a year ago and have been using just a basic ottis cleaning kit for my mossberg but I plan on upgrading to a browning a5 do I need to purchase higher quality cleaning kit to take care of it?
acarls57
hunter

Re: proper cleaning

Postby william costa » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:00 pm

any cleaning kit will work.its the process that matters.
william costa
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:23 am

Your Otis kit is just fine. Anything else possibly needed would be good solvent/cleaner and a good lube of your choice.

All a smaller BASIC shotgun cleaning kit needs is a small jar of powder solvent, half of an old cotton tee shirt, a bore snake, a small can/bottle of good gun oil (preferrably aerosol) and a phillips & regular screwdriver...and this all fits into a gallon zip-loc freezer bag. This will take care of most on the fly cleaning needs one may encounter while hunting. My large kit has other equipment for a complete breakdown, clean, lube & reassemble for after the hunt and prior to the gun going back into the safe.

For a totally complete kit get yourself a tackle box with the adjustable lure trays and a bottom section deep/big enough for cans of lube & solvents and keep everything you'll need in there. Mine has bore snakes in every gauge, brush rods & brushes of every caliber & gauge I own (I have a shotgun gun in every gauge from .410 through 12 and use a 10ga brush for chamber cleaning, plus rifles from 17 to 30 caliber and pistols from .22 to .45), pliars, screwdrivers, allen wrenches (standard and torkes style), loc-tite (for scope base mounting), Tetra Gun Grease, Choke Tube Lube, gun oil, Hoppes powder and copper solvent, foaming bore cleaner, a bore light, choke tube wrenches, an old tee or under shirt for rags/patches, a half dozen blue mechanics latex gloves and other misc items I use for maintenance, repair and cleaning of all my guns. I grab it when ever I go on a hunting weekend and can pack the smaller bag for a day on the water.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby mike.s » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:26 pm

If you clean soon after (within a day or two) any firing, wet patches with a decent cleaner, pulled through until they're not dark is fine. Follow with a protectant. CLP will do it all, or you can buy into the whole technical/marketing/myth thing, and buy a bunch of expensive secret formulas, which will work no better except to make you feel somehow superior. Maybe run a brush at the end of season, but that's more important for rifles. EEZOX is good stuff to coat the barrel when storing for lengthy periods, but clean and oiled is fine if stored under reasonable conditions (non-condensing).

Just my opinion.
mike.s
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum