Super Vinci jambing fingers with 3 1/2" loads

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Postby Dentpounder » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:07 am

I've had my Super Vinci for a little over a year now and I"ve put less than 200 rounds through it before going to ND last week goose hunting. While there I started to shoot 3 1/2" loads and the recoil jambs the trigger guard hard into my middle finger. I tried to reposition my hand while shooting with no help. It's not really a problem with 3" and not at all with 2 3/4 loads. I shot a friends Baretta XP and no problem. Is there possibly something dirty or a gun issue all together. I have not contacted Benelli yet as I wanted to check here first. Other than this, it's a great gun! Thanks for any info.
Dentpounder
hunter

Re: Super Vinci jambing fingers with 3 1/2" loads

Postby The Drake » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:10 pm

Just a design flaw........the regular Vinci is really a knuckle buster with its close radius grip, the S.V. has a wider grip/gap that helps.

Inertia driven, the fancy marketing word for RECOIL action............ :oops:
The Drake
hunter

Postby ironrange » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:21 pm

Do you have a short trigger finger? I had to get mine out and try to figure out how that would be possible. Hand sitting too high on the grip?
ironrange
hunter

Postby Dentpounder » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:03 pm

Don't have big hands I guess but I am 6'2''. The distance between my finger and the trigger guard is about a 1/4" when I'm holding it. I do tend to shoot with the trigger a touch behind my first knuckle but even tried to put the trigger more towards the tip but it only moved the impact point on where it hits my finger. My nephew who has longer fingers than me shot a couple rounds and the same thing. Now my friend that has the Baretta shot it and no trouble and that's what confuses us all. After shooting shotguns for over 35 years now, changing how I hold the gun may not be possible. I guess before I just trade it for something else, I wanted to check with people who know guns to see if it's me or a problem with my specific gun...?
Dentpounder
hunter

Postby The Drake » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:28 pm

Again, its a design flaw and documented many times on various sites that they bust finger/knuckles........
The Drake
hunter

Postby MNWaterfowler22 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:34 pm

Just don't shoot 3 1/2's...don't need them anyways! :biggrin:
If that doesn't light your fire, your woods wet!
MNWaterfowler22
hunter

Postby Dentpounder » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:13 pm

Kinda what we were starting to think to Drake.... Might have a look at the Remmington Versa Max....

I didn't buy a 3 1/2" chambered gun to not be able to shoot them weather I needed them or not. Not shooting them is the obvious easy way out and kinda like telling a 3" shooter to use 2 3/4. Besides, I do also use it for turkey hunting. Thanks for the input though...
Dentpounder
hunter

Postby The Drake » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:44 pm

Shot a Benelli for 11 years and Maxus for 2.......Now the Versamax, 1000 light loads and 9 boxes of steel and flawless !!!

Basically no cleaning other than trigger assembly one time and very light recoil..........
The Drake
hunter

Postby Dentpounder » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:22 pm

Thanks ! Gonna head that direction.... :smile:
Dentpounder
hunter

Postby Duckslayer19 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:58 am

Trade it for a super black eagle 2, benelli's true workhorse. The Vinci in my opinion aren't designed as well or as durable. I guarantee you there is someone out there that wants to upgrade just to have the fancy looking new benelli.
Duckslayer19
hunter

Postby Dentpounder » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:16 am

I looked at the S.B.E.2 before the S.V. and was told you can't shoot trap loads through the S.B.E.2. I do like to shoot some trap and sporting clays with my gun too...
Dentpounder
hunter

Postby T Man » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:35 pm

Dentpounder wrote:I looked at the S.B.E.2 before the S.V. and was told you can't shoot trap loads through the S.B.E.2. I do like to shoot some trap and sporting clays with my gun too...

Absolutely untrue. The SBE1/2 share the same recoil spring with the M1/M2 (the 3" gun) Whoever told you this was trying to sell you the vinci, plain and simple.

I drink the Benelli Kool-Aid, and love the original intertia guns, but strongly dislike the vinci's
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby Dentpounder » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:04 pm

Well it's a design flaw as noted by The Drake. As word of my issue got out around to my area hunter friends, I received a call today from a very avid duck and goose hunter. He was in Canada goose hunting with his SV for the first time this fall and had to also put the 3 1/2"ers away because they were bustin the crap out of his finger. I'm thinking Benelli better do a little retooling on the SV trigger guard design...Hopin anyway. :mad: Funny thing, I also posted this issue on a Bennelli chat room and no response at all. For now...you'd better shoot a SV with 3 1/2"s before you spend the money on one to see if it's a problem for you too!!
Dentpounder
hunter

Postby ShotGunEd » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:28 am

I believe all Benelli 12 Ga minimum load recommendations are 1-1/8 oz 3 Dram regardless of length of shell. My SBE II shoots cheap Wallmart shells.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's a good day for ducks to die...
ShotGunEd
hunter

Postby dito » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:27 am

If I am wearing thick gloves or don't pull the gun into my shoulder hard enough it will get me even with 3 inchers. I had the problem with the regular Vinci so they upgraded me to the SV for a price of course to fix the problem. But seems like it still exists.
dito
hunter

Postby halfscoop » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:33 am

Dentpounder I have owned a SBE II left hand and now a SV right hand and both hit my middle knuckles until they bled. I learned to live with it and I tend to shot a lot of 3 1/2". Here is what I did and I know some fellow shooters will think I'm nuts.

I now shoot with a Browning glove which is somewhat thick. At first I taped my finger using some padding. As time went on my finger developed a tough spot so that helped. I also moved the position of my hand down and held the stock firmer. After a season that position became normal. I now shot with just the glove, but if I forget it I can still shoot. I shoot with one glove to keep my call hand free.

So I had two choices, buy yet another gun or learn to live with it. Give your SV another chance? Your choice. Good luck.
halfscoop
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:23 pm

T Man wrote:
Dentpounder wrote:I looked at the S.B.E.2 before the S.V. and was told you can't shoot trap loads through the S.B.E.2. I do like to shoot some trap and sporting clays with my gun too...

Absolutely untrue. The SBE1/2 share the same recoil spring with the M1/M2 (the 3" gun) Whoever told you this was trying to sell you the vinci, plain and simple.

I drink the Benelli Kool-Aid, and love the original intertia guns, but strongly dislike the vinci's

I drank the benelli Kool-aid and It gave me a severe hangover. My M2 20ga had a good thump for an autoloader.
Winchester SX2 12ga, SX3 20ga, Kicks Highflyer and Terror chokes.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby MNWaterfowler22 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:25 am

I know I stated above that just don't shoot 3 1/2" loads but As a Super Vinci owner I have to ask how close are your fingers to the trigger guard? I by no means have huge hands either but whenever I have shot 3 1/2" loads I have not had any trouble with them. Seems to me that your grip needs to be adjusted and moved or you need to have a better grip when you shoot. The only way you can ever be jamming your fingers on any trigger guard Benelli or other is if your hand slips off the grip and doesn't move with the gun. AKA your hand stays put and the inertia when you shoot pushes the gun back hitting your stationary hand. Coming from a shooting instructor It isn't the gun it is your grip. When you pull that trigger your hands and body should be an extension of the shotgun and move with it just as if it were a part of the gun. Not to make this a physics lesson but when you shoot the force of the explosion in your gun propels the shot out of your gun in one direction. Newtons 3rd law says that with every action there is an equal and opposite reaction and the shotgun is going to move backwards against your shoulder. Your hand needs to move with it!!! The two isometric pressure points with your shotgun should be your shoulder pushing up against the buttstock (that's why we lean into our shots)and your trigger hand pulling towards your shoulder. It is just taking proper handgun mechanics and putting it towards shotguns.
MNWaterfowler22
hunter

Postby Dentpounder » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:53 pm

We did a comparison between my SV and my buddys Baretta XP and when I was holding my gun in the shooting position, my finger was about a 1/4" from the trigger guard and closer to 1/2" away when holding the XP. I can't argue that my grip has something to do with it, however, I met with a friend of a friend last night who also owns a SV. He has been a very very avid duck/goose hunter going on 40 plus years and bought his SV this fall before heading to Canada goose hunting for the first time with it. He had the same issue as me and is not happy. Halfscoop in an above post also stated he has the same issue. My nephew also shot mine and yup, same thing. I do believe shooting mechanics come into play with every gun and person but the design of the SV for some of us is a problem. Without trying to sound like a smart ass, cause I really do like the gun and would like a fix rather than trading it in, how can so many people have the same shooting style (poor habits but still "good shooters") be asked to relearn how to shoot? This may end up being a topic with no clear answer. Obviously Benelli isn't gonna retool the stock design for us with the problem with it. I really do appreciate everyones input and opinions but for me, I think I'll trade in for something else before word gets out and nobody wants to take a chance with a SV and the trade value drops!!
Dentpounder
hunter

Postby MNWaterfowler22 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:54 pm

Alright, just trying to help you out before you trade the gun for not even close to what its worth unless you sell it out right. I hear it all the time that it is never the shooter it is the gun but most times than not it is the person...not trying to say that there isn't a design flaw in the SV or V but I would do anything possible to keep the gun instead of trading it. OK this is the instructor in me talking...you said that when you place your trigger finger on the trigger that your distal knuckle is what is on the trigger you have to much finger on the trigger it should just be the finger print only. By doing this you have enough room for your grip change. The SV has a prominante pistol grip so...move your hand down to where the bottom of your hand and your pinky are at the very bottom of your grip this essentially will move your hand low enough to where your fingers are lower than the tigger guard which equals no jamming fingers!!! This is exactly how I grip my SV and it works great I can take a pic if you would like to show you exactly what I mean. If you haven't tried this try it and if you have kudos and do with what you will but if it were me I would try everything before I would trade. Just me!!!
MNWaterfowler22
hunter

Postby Dentpounder » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:52 pm

I gotta give ya that!! I did get my gun out and throw it up like normal and yes my hand does automatically go up to the top as you said. I do gain much more room putting my pinky towards the bottom. I did try to roll my hand more around the grip before with no help but after your explaination...I GET IT! It may take a little time to adjust to that grip during the heat of the hunt, but I am going to try. Almost can't wait for the weekend to try it out. I was thinking that I'd need to "recreate the wheel" with my style of shooting but I do believe I can make that change easy enough and KEEP my SV! THANKS MUCH and I will update after trying that grip out this weekend with the 3 1/2s.
Dentpounder
hunter

Postby MNWaterfowler22 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:47 pm

No problem man...just trying to help. Keep us informed on the grip change! Your pinky is the landmark for this grip put it on the bottom and let her rip!!! This is my opinion of why so many people are having problems. It is the safety position people ride high on the pistol grip because they want to be able to reach the safety and with the safety in the front of the trigger it puts the hand high up and in prime finger smashing area!!! Just my opinion on why people are jamming their fingers!
MNWaterfowler22
hunter

Postby Mwacker » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:41 pm

MNWaterfowler Great Addvice! I was also haveing issue with my middlefinger jaming... I corrected by changing up my grip and making sure the gun was firmly mounted on my shoulder. This corrected the issue. Very happy with the gun now! :grooving:
Mwacker
Newb

Postby Twenty2 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:38 pm

design flaw......i hate my dads super vinci....slams my trigger finger with 3 1/2's every time! Literally slams it hard enough to tear the first thick layer of skin off half the size of a dime (on my trigger finger :mad: ) but takes a good 3 weeks to completely heal :fingerhead: .....$1500 shotgun and it requires a grip change :rolleyes: ?!?!?! *** not for me.....so when i shoot the SV i only shoot 3" loads!!!!! :beer:
Twenty2
hunter

Postby SnookMan88 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:57 pm

Isnt it wierd how some people have an issue with a product that the next person does not? I have heard that many people have experienced "knuckele jambing" with the vinci and the super vinci however I am not one of those people. I love my super vinci and have had zero problems with it, no malfunctions (except for 3 dud shells) and no knuckle busting and I have shot well over 1000 rounds through it from 2 3/4 1OZ to 3 1/2 mags. I wonder if this busting issue is one that changes from gun to gun or shooter to shooter (gun defect or grip problem).
SnookMan88
hunter

Next

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum