Extended choke questions

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Extended choke questions

Postby ctmsnow32 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:35 pm

Hey guys I'm looking to buy an extended choke for my 12 ga. I hunt waterfowl and am looking to get a little more range on my pattern. I am looking for a solid pattern at 30-40 yds. Am I looking for a mid-range or long-range choke? Can someone help me out here? Maybe clarify some things for me? Thanks
ctmsnow32
hunter

Re: Extended choke questions

Postby bulletman » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:44 am

At 30 to 40 yards I'd suggest a mid range of most choke manufacturers. Get yourself some sheets of paper and various loads and get to patterning.
bulletman
hunter

Postby 23yearsago » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:15 am

MY experience is this.....at your designated 30 to 40 yard range,, that's pass shooting to me and I use an Imp Mod and have great results with larger #2, #1,BB. I also prefer to spend for the mid priced tubes and have tested Carlsons, Trulock and Browning(Briley) Grand Passage. They ALL posted better patterns than factory tubes but I kept the Trulock Precision Hunters and Brownings. My favorite tubes are the LM and IM Grand Passage.
There's a lot of reading info here and other sites from many contributors, use the search option and read read read, Good Luck.
23yearsago
hunter

Postby ctmsnow32 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:20 am

Thanks for the advice guys
ctmsnow32
hunter

Postby Takeem406 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:35 pm

I like my Code Blacks. The Upland is a little too loose at 40 though. The Goose is very nice though. Shooting 3" Kent #1.

Sent from my layout blind
Takeem406
hunter

Postby The Drake » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:58 pm

Kind of gun and speed of shells you shoot will help us determine this much better.......
The Drake
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:41 pm

I like the Kicks Highflyers and factory Winchester(Browning).
Winchester SX2 12ga, SX3 20ga, Kicks Highflyer and Terror chokes.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:16 am

For $75 (web search or gunbroker) you can get the waterfowl Kit of 3 chokes from Carlsons. this includes the close, mid and long range. all 3 chokes for less than some places charge for one choke tube. I have used these and they pattern fine and depending on shot size and velocity (and even manufacturer) you can get slightly tighten or loosen patterns just by changing the load.

I prefer TruLock personally after testing thousands of loads and just about every choke out there with many different guns I find the trulock patterns the best for me with a very slight edge over Briley.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby aunt betty » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:07 am

My shotgun patterns best with full choke. (steel)
I used factory full a whole season. This year a club member generously gave me a Briley's Extended Range Full choke.

I LOVE that thing. I either hit or miss and if I hit a duck...it's D. E. A. D. :yes:
Been "poofing" teal from 30-40 yards easy.
I tend to let other people get off a shot before I shoot. At close ranges my pattern is too tight.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum