Benelli SBE...issue

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Benelli SBE...issue

Postby dukhntr » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:07 pm

Well, I guess no gun will stay perfect forever. My 10 year old SBE has started to stove pipe. I bet it has 10K rounds minimum through it....I has done this twice today on a hunt and once when I test fired it. The gun is meticulously maintained and cleaned after each hunt, to some that is subjective, but I can wipe down the internals with a papertowel and only get fresh break free residue with no dirt. The springs are all original, but it fine shape, cleaned yearly. The chamber area is worn nice, and shows mostly silver (painted black when new). I heard there is something that needs to get filed down after several years of hard use on these guns. Can anyone elaborate? This has been an amazingly reliable weapon and I am sure it's something small causing it to hang up. My dad's did the same thing, he sent it back to Benelli and they fixed it. They claimed that they had to file something down as well. He lost the paperwork on it, so I can't be certain as to what they did to it and I am trying to avoid sending it in if I can. Thanks in advance.

PS- Keep all the "shoulda bought this" or "shoulda bought that" comments out. And NO it doesn't need a wolfe spring. Seems to be everyone's answer.... :lol:
dukhntr
State Moderator

Re: Benelli SBE...issue

Postby rerhardt » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:37 pm

would love to see a photo of stive pipe, but ill assume that the round gets caught going forward,, what happens to the guns after lots of rounds is that the ejector creates a very sharp edge in the barrel wher the ejector comes into contact before the bolt rotates, it happened to my gun also,, its a little tough to get in there but using some 320 grit paper and a little creativeness with the paper will round that sharp edge down, look to this first espically with that many rounds
rerhardt
hunter

Postby dukhntr » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:24 am

Yessir, thanks. I sent the barrel and bolt to Dan Suggs in Maryland. From what I hear, he is a benelli/beretta mastermind. I am sure it's in good hands. Thanks for the response. Is yours also a SBE? And yes, the barrel you described is very sharp!
dukhntr
State Moderator

Postby Ole Cypress » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:53 pm

Please let us know what he does and if it fixes the problem. And since you say it's not in need of a Wolfe spring. I'm assuming then that you already have one?
Ole Cypress
hunter

Postby dukhntr » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:49 pm

I will let you know the outcome. No, I don't have a wolfe spring. IMO, a properly cared for Benelli does not need a wolfe spring. I made that comment in my original thread because everyone seems to think that a benelli needs one. I have many benellis and a couple of Extremas and they do not need them.....I tore my recoil tube down this year on me SBE for the first time since 2007 and it was fairly clean. Little dirty, but overall, very clean for as many rounds get run through it....
dukhntr
State Moderator

Postby The Drake » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:25 pm

dukhntr wrote:I will let you know the outcome. No, I don't have a wolfe spring. IMO, a properly cared for Benelli does not need a wolfe spring. I made that comment in my original thread because everyone seems to think that a benelli needs one. I have many benellis and a couple of Extremas and they do not need them.....I tore my recoil tube down this year on me SBE for the first time since 2007 and it was fairly clean. Little dirty, but overall, very clean for as many rounds get run through it....

Those springs weaken and throw off the timing of the gun........get the wolff springs for recoil and mag and you will really like what you see, my group of 8-9 Benelli's all have them.
The Drake
hunter

Postby cootlover » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:09 am

I had the same thing happen last weekend took the gun out for the first time in 5-6 years and it started to stove pipe mine is 1995 sbe never had any problem before I was wondering if was the spring sitting so many years :huh:
cootlover
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum