BPS Problem

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

BPS Problem

Postby VaTailfeathers » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:19 pm

10 gauge BPS. Shucks hard. A while back I remember guys mentioning that there was a problem with the rails in both the 10 gauge and the 12 gauge in that the rails weren't made of strong enough steel and bent with the bigger 3.5 shells. Browning then made stronger rails after it became a problem. Did you guys know if anyone could get the rails and or replacement for free from Browning?
VaTailfeathers
hunter

Re: BPS Problem

Postby tripleb » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:55 pm

I got a replacement for my BPS10, but the problem wasn't bending the rails, it was breaking the spot welds which hold the rails to the tube over the magazine. It cost about $30, if I remember correctly, from Browning.
tripleb
hunter

Postby VaTailfeathers » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:50 pm

Thanks. I just ordered a spanner wrench and am ordering the part from Browning tomorrow am.
VaTailfeathers
hunter

Postby drycreek1991 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:21 am

I have shot a BPS for over 30 yrs, (I own 4) one of the most important things to remember is to keep the barrel clean where the shells slide into the barrel. I have found the best way to clean that part of the barrel is first take the barrel off and mount a brass bore brush(what ever gauge)on a high speed drill motor take some gun solvent dip it in solvent work it in and out several times of the barrel while the drill is at a high speed, keep your brush wet with solvent,this will cut the crud out that you can not polish or clean out good enough by hand, be sure to clean the solvent out of your barrel and only put a very lite coat of oil back in the barrel. If you have never done this, you will really be surprised at the differences you will see the next time you shuck a shell out of that gun.

I hope this tip will help you and be sure to pass it on.
Dogs are only as smart as their handler
drycreek1991
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum