Trading in 11-87 for pump

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Postby BEDB » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:17 pm

Tomorrow im sending in my 11-87 to Remington for the third time in less than four years. As soon as i get it back im planning on trading it in for a pump cause im tired of pissin with it. I was thinkin about buyin an 870 supermag, but the winchester sxp looks like a good gun. And the 887 does too but idk if they got the kinks worked out on it yet? Any thoughts? thanks
Flocked Wear Field Staff
Bring 'em Down Boys Pro Staff
lock 'em n rock 'em
BEDB
hunter

Re: Trading in 11-87 for pump

Postby flyndutchman » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:20 pm

Are you refering to an 11/87 supermag? What problem are you having with it?
flyndutchman
hunter

Postby youngoilguy » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:23 pm

Sxp. Bps. Nova. All good wont let u down.
assateague wrote:I hunt to kill. It's why I take a gun instead of a camera. And it's a goose- lighten up.

best quote ever
youngoilguy
hunter

Postby BEDB » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:01 pm

flyndutchman wrote:Are you refering to an 11/87 supermag? What problem are you having with it?

yea. I bought it in 08. Its not cyclin. Wont give me another round out of the magazine
Flocked Wear Field Staff
Bring 'em Down Boys Pro Staff
lock 'em n rock 'em
BEDB
hunter

Postby mawtrfowler » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:25 pm

Between my father and I we have an 870 express, Supernova and a winchester 1300 black shadow. The SXP is basically a revamped 1300. I would say stay away from the 870 express as i've had numerous issues where the gun heats up and fails to eject which seems to be the norm for remington now. I love the 1300, its light and pumps very smoothly but has a lot of recoil and i now use it for slugs only and a backup for my Vinci. The Supernova would be my pick for a do all pump. They're bullet proof and as far as i know are the only pumps that come with shim kits to adjust point of aim. They have a 3.5" chamber and they don't kick too bad depending on which loads you use.
mawtrfowler
hunter

Postby TXHunter96 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:13 am

I don't know what the problem is with the 870s now, but mine has not had one ftf or fte and I've put all kinds of shells through it: high brass, low brass, 2 3/4", 3", 4 shot steel, 6-8 shot target loads, and some 5 shot turkey loads.. No problems here. Looking to get another one soon..
Deer, Ducks, Guns > School
TXHunter96
hunter

Postby wtrfwl havoc » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:28 pm

If it were me I would get an 870. It will fit just like the 11-87 not to mention the 870 has been the gold standard of pump shotguns since their release. I have 3 of them one of them is a supermag from the first year of production. It has had thousands and thousands of rounds through it and looks like it should be in a museum. It still is my choice of firearm and I have a lot of high end guns. I hear that every now and again some of the newer expresses may have shells stick in the chamber basically because remington doesnt spend the time to polish the chamber like they do with the wingmasters, but hey thats no big deal and pretty easy to do (not that you should have to). Bottom line if you want a gun that will handle all the elements, will last you til you die, is stupidly simple to tear down,and will always shoot then there is no better gun then the 870. There is a reason there has never been a gun manufactured that has even come close to competing with the 870 in pretty much every aspect IMO, and the sales prove it. The 887 is a pile of crap, and a huge downgrade from the 870 the armour coating can and will crack off. i have personally seen it. it is nowhere near the upgrade to a 870 that they claimed. i dont have experience with the winchester so camt help you there. they look kinda cheap IMO though. Another good pump to look at that would come in a close second to the 870 is a browning bps. It has been around for years and many guys like them.
wtrfwl havoc
hunter

Postby steelshotshooter » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:16 am

I have been shooting an 11/87 for 5 years now and this is my first and only semi automatic shotgun...

I shoot slugs during deer season, low brass loads during dove season and literally thousands of rounds at clay pigeons and then steel loads during waterfowl Season...

Except for the Remington Slugger slugs, I load everything I shoot through this gun and records show that as of this date 11/24/2012 - I have shot 62,534 rounds through this gun and to date, I have had "0" failures to fire or eject. This is the most flawless working shotgun I own...

I have to say this though. When I bought this gun new and got it home, I completely stripped it down and honed ALL surfaces that had metal to metal contact. I replaced the magazine spring with a heavy duty spring. I burnished the chamber. I replaced the extractor spring with a heavy duty spring. I recut and polished the forcing cone. I replace the magazines rubber o-ring every 1,000 rounds and replace the gas rings every 10,000 rounds...

I think with a little preventative maintenance, the Remington 11/87 is one of the most reliable guns on the market but, like I said, this is my first and only semi auto shotgun....

SSS
By HIS stripes, we are healed...
steelshotshooter
hunter

Postby wtrfwl havoc » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:37 am

steelshotshooter wrote:I have been shooting an 11/87 for 5 years now and this is my first and only semi automatic shotgun...

I shoot slugs during deer season, low brass loads during dove season and literally thousands of rounds at clay pigeons and then steel loads during waterfowl Season...

Except for the Remington Slugger slugs, I load everything I shoot through this gun and records show that as of this date 11/24/2012 - I have shot 62,534 rounds through this gun and to date, I have had "0" failures to fire or eject. This is the most flawless working shotgun I own...

I have to say this though. When I bought this gun new and got it home, I completely stripped it down and honed ALL surfaces that had metal to metal contact. I replaced the magazine spring with a heavy duty spring. I burnished the chamber. I replaced the extractor spring with a heavy duty spring. I recut and polished the forcing cone. I replace the magazines rubber o-ring every 1,000 rounds and replace the gas rings every 10,000 rounds...

I think with a little preventative maintenance, the Remington 11/87 is one of the most reliable guns on the market but, like I said, this is my first and only semi auto shotgun....

SSS

I have an 1187 supermag and it has been extremely reliable for me aswell. I know some people have had issues with them but mine is a trooper never misfires, or fails to eject. Is yours a sportsman 1187 or a premier or higher end 1187?
wtrfwl havoc
hunter

Postby steelshotshooter » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:18 pm

Mine is not the high end model. Black synthetic stock with matte finish....
By HIS stripes, we are healed...
steelshotshooter
hunter

Postby gmkempf » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:34 pm

i HAVE AN 870 WingMaster Magnum made in 1975. Modified 28" barrel. Has NEVER let me down. I shoot an H and K SBE most of the time but have to admit that leaving that 870 home is like leaving your old lab that has been through thick and thin with you while you take the new pup with you.
gmkempf
hunter

Postby mawtrfowler » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:18 am

The problems with the 870's now happen in the express models. It seems like remington just doesn't pay attention to the small details of the gun like polishing the chamber which causes them to malfunction. My express will jam if shooting quickly and this is with winchester AA.
mawtrfowler
hunter

Postby Bo7820 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:37 pm

I just sent my 1187 Sportsman Super Mag to be repaired today. I have cleaned it several times and it still won't cycle and I am tired of fighting with it. It will eject the shells fine but the action stayes open. I have removed and cleaned every piece on the gun even the spring and still the same. Worked fine for the first year an a half now its a piece of junk. Once I get it back I am going to sell it and probably get the SX3. Looks to have good reviews and have a few friends that have them and like them. Also have talked to several other people with a 1187 super mag and they had the same problems. Any one have any ideas why my 1187 is doing this?
Bo7820
Newb

Postby mawtrfowler » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:41 pm

Bo7820 wrote:I just sent my 1187 Sportsman Super Mag to be repaired today. I have cleaned it several times and it still won't cycle and I am tired of fighting with it. It will eject the shells fine but the action stayes open. I have removed and cleaned every piece on the gun even the spring and still the same. Worked fine for the first year an a half now its a piece of junk. Once I get it back I am going to sell it and probably get the SX3. Looks to have good reviews and have a few friends that have them and like them. Also have talked to several other people with a 1187 super mag and they had the same problems. Any one have any ideas why my 1187 is doing this?

Are you saying that when you load up the magazine tube it will eject the one in the chamber and lock open, not cycling another round?
mawtrfowler
hunter

Postby Bo7820 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:32 pm

Yes, the second shell is sitting there waiting, if I just give the hammer a little push it closes and it will fire. Forgot to mention that I am using black cloud 3.5" 2 shot.
Bo7820
Newb

Postby talltimber » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:16 am

Maybe the recoil spring is gummed up? Or the mag spring follower is hanging a little?

Just reread where you had cleaned the spring.
talltimber
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:47 am

IMO Remingtons suck in general anymore. Cheaply made, cheap matrerials!! I have a 2 year old 870 super mag and I hate it. Rusts in the gun case on the way home from a hunt. Oil it, still looks rusty. So I went out and spent some money on a real gun. And I LOVE IT!!! I wouldn't trade my Super Vinci for anything!! I would't give up on autos just from your experience with an 11-87. Try a Browning, or a Benelli, or a the Beretta. Just my 2 cents..
If I ask a question, I don't want your opinion. I want facts.
Don't tell me something you think, tell me something you know.
It's easier to say I don't know, than make something up.
Although, being a forum the next guy will know more no matter what.
gearhead80
hunter

Postby Steelmaster » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:30 pm

You're doing the right thing. I hate 1187's My dad myself and my brother all got brand new ones one year. we hunt fair to hard and in 3 years they were falling aprt and within 5 they were gone. Nothing but piles of sht. Then I got an 870 Super Mag. That was a pile too didn't eject shells had to lightly sand the inside of the barrel as it was not the same id as the 5 wingmasters in our house at the time. Remington customer service absolutely sucks too by the way.
Steelmaster
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:23 pm

BEDB wrote:Tomorrow im sending in my 11-87 to Remington for the third time in less than four years. As soon as i get it back im planning on trading it in for a pump cause im tired of pissin with it. I was thinkin about buyin an 870 supermag, but the winchester sxp looks like a good gun. And the 887 does too but idk if they got the kinks worked out on it yet? Any thoughts? thanks

might want to look at the weatherby sa 08 it seems to be a good gun for its price point. also for a pump i would look at the bps.
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby Joetpr » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:28 pm

Find a SX2. They won't let you down.
Joetpr
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:12 pm

By all means get yourself a back-up gun, but keep shooting that 11-87 and sending it back when problems arise. I'm betting that they will eventually get tired of seeing it and send you a Versamax replacement. If nothing else, they need to see that it is cheaper to produce a quality arm than to constantly repair junk.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby slickhair58 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:18 pm

887s problems are all worked out now. I own 3, two that I let friends and family use. I really don't like taking people out and then their gun that they haven't used since last year doesn't work. Had a few problems with the first one but its the one I like the best now. 887s handle everything if cleaned and re lubed properly, fully cycled every shot. CLP is my go to product to keep them working right. The guns parts are easily replaced by the consumer if they get damaged or worn out. I shoot about half 3in to 3 1/2 - only problems now are me. I personally feel that they are worth more than what they cost. If you hunt salt I wouldn't hesitate to get one.
slickhair58
hunter

Postby 1Luckytiger » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:12 am

Winchester model 12 heavy duck gun..no other pump can touch it. Customize the barrel for no-tox shot. You can pass this one down to your Grandkids..even if it is 60 years old! :thumbsup:
1Luckytiger
hunter

Postby talltimber » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:58 pm

1Luckytiger wrote:Winchester model 12 heavy duck gun..no other pump can touch it. Customize the barrel for no-tox shot. You can pass this one down to your Grandkids..even if it is 60 years old! :thumbsup:

Could you provide details or a source for how you customize a m12 barrel for no-tox shot?

I have a 3" sptsmn 1187. The shell latch tip broke off last year. Other than that I've not had a problem out of it in ~8 yrs I've had it. It's seen more use in the last 3 yrs than in the first 5 or so. Great gun, light recoil, pretty reliable( if you keep it clean). And cleaning it means ALL of it, not just running a rag down the barrel and shaking it to rid the receiver of trash. No lube, thank you.
talltimber
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:14 am

I am guseeing your 1187 is the special purpose or sportsman version :no: I had 2 of them and neither was 100% reliable and had several little issues. I then picked up a Premier and never had an issue out of it. I have had several premiers since and not one has given me an issue. I sent in many 1187's for customers that would not function either. Not really sure wat the difference is but the premier version just seems to be an altogether better gun.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum