Kicks Vortex Choke

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Kicks Vortex Choke

Postby xtrema13 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:37 am

I was looking to pickup a kicks vortex choke (full for me and xfull for my brother) has anyone ever tried these? Thanks.
xtrema13
hunter

Re: Kicks Vortex Choke

Postby G20M1 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:30 pm

They work fairly well, the patterns I had where only slightly better than Carlson's. I have the full and it throws about a IM pattern not sure of the actual constriction though. One thing is that there is nothing to grab onto while tightening it, so it tends to come loose. This can be fixed by putting Teflon tape on the threads. I only use it because I have it, unless you are truly unhappy with the patterns you are getting with other brands save your money. Also I would use nothing above #2 in the xfull.
The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.
-Ayn Rand
G20M1
hunter

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:32 am

G20M1 wrote:They work fairly well, the patterns I had where only slightly better than Carlson's. I have the full and it throws about a IM pattern not sure of the actual constriction though. One thing is that there is nothing to grab onto while tightening it, so it tends to come loose. This can be fixed by putting Teflon tape on the threads. I only use it because I have it, unless you are truly unhappy with the patterns you are getting with other brands save your money. Also I would use nothing above #2 in the xfull.

Hey man just a heads up on the tightening the choke tube deal. In my experience that can be a bad idea. I prefer mine hand tight and loose enough I can turn it easily by sticking my finger in the end. My dad and a buddy both have had to buy new barrels because the tubes seized up in the barrel. Even took em to a machine shop and they couldn't get them out. Just a FYI. Not tryin to undermined u just thought id share that with ya.
"keep the lord in your heart, and keep your powder dry..." chris knight
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Postby G20M1 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:37 am

Indiancreekducks87 wrote:
G20M1 wrote:They work fairly well, the patterns I had where only slightly better than Carlson's. I have the full and it throws about a IM pattern not sure of the actual constriction though. One thing is that there is nothing to grab onto while tightening it, so it tends to come loose. This can be fixed by putting Teflon tape on the threads. I only use it because I have it, unless you are truly unhappy with the patterns you are getting with other brands save your money. Also I would use nothing above #2 in the xfull.

Hey man just a heads up on the tightening the choke tube deal. In my experience that can be a bad idea. I prefer mine hand tight and loose enough I can turn it easily by sticking my finger in the end. My dad and a buddy both have had to buy new barrels because the tubes seized up in the barrel. Even took em to a machine shop and they couldn't get them out. Just a FYI. Not tryin to undermined u just thought id share that with ya.

For sure, with this choke however it is completely smooth and it has no choke tube wrench notches. The teflon tape works as an extremely mild form of locktite. Just enough retention to not allow the choke to back out. If it backs out to far, it can shoot out of the barrel. It will also prevent rust from forming in the threads.

Speaking of stuck chokes a friend of mine liked his Carlson's mid range so much he left in his barrel for two seasons. The gunsmith said he would need a new barrel, when he brought it to me the notches where completely gone. So I let it sit in penetrating oil over night and tried a pipe wrench on it. I couldn't believe how stuck it was, the vice looking like it would come off the bench before the choke broke free. Since it was pretty much a lost cause, I found a big bolt that just fit and welded into the choke, then I used an impact gun on the bolt. It struggled for a second, and finally broke free. He still uses that barrel today, and oils his choke.
The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.
-Ayn Rand
G20M1
hunter

Postby william costa » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:11 pm

guys a little anti seize compound will go a long way.
william costa
hunter

Kicks Vortex Choke

Postby xtrema13 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:58 pm

So using BB would be bad for a xfull?
xtrema13
hunter

Postby Bib3773 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:33 pm

After some bad luck and some research on here I decided to pattern my gun today. Must have been a shock because right afterward we had the first storm we have had in months. Anyway I shot my factory modified and the kicks modified with both Kents and Rios. (those are the two brands I have the most access to that I can afford.) The Kents shot almost the same out of the factory choke and the kicks. The rios looked horrible out of the factory choke but shot ok through the Kicks but not well enough to make me want to buy more of them.

I have read on here a thousand times when this question is brought up and its always revolves around various shell brands, various tubes and different brands of aftermarket chokes. The answer always involves the pattern of your gun. I am arrogant enough that had I shot the Kents through the factory and been happy I still would have spent the money on the aftermarket tube thinking it would be a form of improvement. Not the case.

Go shoot some cardboard I could have bought 4 or 5 more boxes of shells for what I spent on a choke.

Happy hunting
I rode my stick horse to the store, if felt like I walked the whole way....
Bib3773
hunter

Postby G20M1 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:08 pm

xtrema13 wrote:So using BB would be bad for a xfull?

Not bad for the choke, I think kicks says BB and smaller, however I think with big shot and tight choke you run the risk of blowing the pattern. With BC it might not matter too much though. It is my theory that because of the wad you are not choking the pellets, you're choking the wad. I think that when the flightcontrol wad goes though a tighter choke the petals at the rear of the wad get flattened out more, causing the wad to stay with the shot longer. The only way you will know is to pattern it, I think kicks will let you return it if you don't like it, not sure though.
-Ayn Rand
G20M1
hunter

Kicks Vortex Choke

Postby xtrema13 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:19 am

Well do you have any other choke that is extra full?

Sent from my Super Mag
xtrema13
hunter

Postby flyndutchman » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:02 pm

extrema, How far do you think you need to shoot? My Kicks HF mod puts out geat 35-40 yd patterns( much better than the factory mod) with numbered shot and farther with lettered sizes. A full would probably tighten it up for a little farther. If the birds do come in closer they get torn up with it.
flyndutchman
hunter

Postby triplecurl » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:01 pm

I had this happen to the one I had. Sent a picture of it to Kick's and they sent me a new one. When it happened I thought maybe I had plugged my barrel some how and didn't know it, but there was no damage whatsoever to the barrel nor did it swell the choke tube and make it difficult to remove. Everything was normal except the bulged place on the tube itself.

choke tube.JPG

Mine is a modified choke and I have patterned several different brands of shells out of it and can't honestly say what shot better out of it. It really wasn't much better than my factory chokes IMO. I am currently shooting a Kick's High Flyer Modified in my SX2. That choke has performed well both on the pattern board and in the field.
Last night, I dreamed that I killed all the saggers, all the swaggers, and all of their duckface girlfriends...

It was called: The Yolocaust.
triplecurl
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum