Beretta 1201 recoil spring assembly and cycle probelm

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Beretta 1201 recoil spring assembly and cycle probelm

Postby goosehappy » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:37 pm

I have an old Beretta 1201 I used for a long time and then got a 390 because the recoil was bad on the 1201, and it always had a problem when I put two shells in the mag tube. When I fired the first shot , the second shell went on the carrier, but the third shell also slid out of the magazine and jammed the whole thing up. But I want to revive this gun, and I was wondering if anyone could help me solve this problem, along with how to disassemble the recoil spring tube so I can put in a new recoil spring. The cap on the end of the tube is threaded all the way, unlike the 390's so I'm concerned about damaging the threads trying to get the tube cap off. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
trapped in the polar vortex
goosehappy
hunter

Re: Beretta 1201 recoil spring assembly and cycle probelm

Postby goosehappy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:12 pm

OK, keeping my fingers crossed, but I might have solved the shell feeding problem, so I thought I'd post up what I did in case anyone else had this issue. I took the cartridge latch assembly out and inspected it closely.(it is the thing that stops the shells from coming out of the magazine) It has a button, body, latch and spring. The body is stamped stainless steel, and mine looked a wee bit warped. I looked for wear spots, and decided that the latch was not getting out far enough to successfully catch the second shell coming out of the mag because of the minute warp in the body. I filed it down a bit, and reassembled it. I field tested it once, and it worked. I haven't had a chance to run a lot of shells through it, but it seemed to work for the first time in many years.
trapped in the polar vortex
goosehappy
hunter

Re: Beretta 1201 recoil spring assembly and cycle probelm

Postby aunt betty » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:20 am

I can help on the recoil spring part.
It has been put together with lock-tite and needs to be heated up before you take it apart.
If it's like the 390...put a nail into the hole that goes thru the spring-tube and use that nail to turn the whole thing after you heat it with a torch or on the stove. I used the stove to heat my 390 up when I changed that recoil spring.
Be ready for a ton of unburned powder residue to come out when you take the spring out of the tube.
It will be cruddy.

Not sure about the double feed problem. Get some more experienced help there.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum