stoeger side by side Question

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

stoeger side by side Question

Postby kb9zgb » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:29 am

Ok this is a uplander model came as a combo pack 20ga or 12ga "SINGLE TRIGGER" think I know why I got it cheep now. seems to fire both barrels at the same time. I first noticed with the 12ga . it did this a couple times I thought maybe it was just me pulling the trigger from the recoil. I switched it over to the 20ga and got some lite game loads now it doesn't seem to do this as much. Now I dont know if it"s me or the gun. whats a good way to check this out ? I thought maybe I could slip some paper in-between the receiver and the barrels and dry fire it. this way I could see if the firing pin is punching holes in the paper. Any way before I take it to the gun smith I thought I would ask if any one had any Ideas.
kb9zgb
hunter

Re: stoeger side by side Question

Postby jeepman » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:17 am

I don't think it has anything to do with the barrels. Does gun have a switch to give it the ability to switch what barrel fires first? i might be part of the safty. I think it is definatly a problem with the sear realsing the hammer? hammers to fire both barrels at once. I don't think it's a serious problem, but i would take it to a competent gunsmith to have him take a look.
jeepman
hunter

Postby bassmaster624 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:16 pm

if you take your stock off it will allow you to see the problem.my o/u did that or only fired 1 barrel.there is a stiff wire bar that i had to readjust.for one it wasnt in the hole where it was suppose to be then i shaved .100 off of it.works great now.plus from the factory the amount of dirt that was in there to.
women love me and bass fear me
bassmaster624
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:15 am

This is a common issue I hear about with the stoeger SXS's. I even experienced it with a brand new one out of the box. after a lot of arguing with Stoeger and sending one in for repair they still tell me it is caused by "bounce back" The way they tell it is that on recoil your finger moves forward enough to reset the trigger but still has enough pressure on it to fire the second barrel. I did find that if I do not hold the gun real tight to the shoulder it will double just about every time but if I tighten up my grip and pull it tighter into my shoulder it is fine every time. IMO they have an issue with their trigger assemblies and a loose hold is their excuse for not correcting it.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

β€˜For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ β€”Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum