Baretta a400 misfires

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Baretta a400 misfires

Postby rwc480 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:27 am

my Baretta a400 has a problem with "light hits" or misfires. When I recycle the misfire shells they will then fire. I have tried replacing the firing pin but it did not correct the problem.
I also cleaned the bolt assembly .

Please help . I have missed many great shots because of these misfires.
rwc480
Newb

Re: Baretta a400 misfires

Postby william costa » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:01 pm

sounds like your rotating bolt is not fully locking or being jared out of battery causing light primmer strikes.if this is happening on first shot if so u gettin the (benelli)click with your beretta.im assuming that if u rack the bolt ejecting shell and chambering another it fires.check your recoil spring!normally a stiffer recoil spring will solve this problem.always slam a rotary bolt shut never eas it closed!
william costa
hunter

Postby dukhntr » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:18 am

Good theory, Mr. Costa, but I doubt that's the problem. THem beretta's slam shut pretty hard. I have alot of experience with both and would lean towards a weak hammer spring or a dirty bolt assembly...."clean" is very subjective....Not saying that the original poster did not clean his gun well, just saying it's subjective.
dukhntr
State Moderator

Postby william costa » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:10 pm

well when he racks the bolt it will then fire!so the bolt is not fully locked causing light primer strikes same as the benelli click it will dimple the primer but not hard enough!i dought it has any thing to do with hammer spring or firing pin!he can test this theory by loading gun slamming bolt shut,fire gun once look make sure bolt it locked,fire second shot and so on.now i garantee if the bolt is locked shut it will fire.if it happens on first shot and after he racks bolt it fires hense the out of battery bolt.it has been jared out of battery.
william costa
hunter

Postby rwc480 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:29 pm

Thanks to you all but I believe the problem has been solved.

1. I disassembled the bolt assembly and thourghly cleaned the bolt assembly, especially the channel the firing pin goes through. Lots of gunk there.

2. I noticed the firing pin spring was also broken so I replaced that for $6.00.

Last two duck hunts fired over 50 shells and not one "light hit" or misfire!! Yea![/b][/b]
rwc480
Newb

Postby william costa » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:02 am

well i be dang!
william costa
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum