benelli nova problem.

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

benelli nova problem.

Postby Mo. Hunter » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:59 pm

i have had the nova for about a year and a half. and when its pretty cold outside and waiting for the duks. i will stand up to shoot them and the first shell wont shoot but second nd third will . it only does this when the gun hasnt been shot for 20-30 minutes or real cold outside. is this a gun or shell problem?
Mo. Hunter
hunter

Re: benelli nova problem.

Postby bulletman » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:03 pm

Gun, possibly either it's not fully closed or something you are doing is partially causing it to be slightly out of battery OR the hammer spring/firing pin is over lubricated and "sluggish" due to the cold. I would suggest a good cleaning, LIGHT lubrication with a lube that will not gel up in cold (synthetic) and when you operate it (close the action) do so like you mean it which will make sure it is fully closed.
bulletman
hunter

Postby Mo. Hunter » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:06 pm

okay well iwill wipe down the gun and that may of been the problem cause i did go a little heavy on the oil and lube.
Mo. Hunter
hunter

Postby cONG » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:25 pm

It don't not take much lube at all on pump shotguns
cONG
hunter

Postby dukhntr » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:20 am

Spray some Breakfree CLP in the firing pin housing. No matter how cold it gets, this oil won't freeze or thicken.
dukhntr
State Moderator

Postby Major Woods » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:01 am

Good advise above.
The firing pin is chrome plated and needs no oil, the bolt the firing pin fits into is another story.
I use a good 100% synthetic oil to clean & lube the bolt hole and use a pipe cleaner to remove any excessive residue oil. Never had an issue sea duck hunting down to -9 degrees.
Thousands on the boat.
Hundreds on decoys.
Time away from the wife....priceless
Major Woods
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:16 am

I have the same gun, and noticed this happening. on mine, it was because it wasn't fully closed. I slightly pulled back on the pump, then brought it forward again.. make sure the shell feeder (not the correct term I'm sure) is in the down position once you're done loading.
Prostaff application pending
tknight006
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:50 am

As mentioned, you are probably trying to be quiet and not closing the bolt fully. Put in you shell, and slam that baby home and make sure it locks. Lots of Nova experience with that, to the point it became second nature to open and slam to make sure before you went "CLICK" on a bird.
I just pooped my pants.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum