Replacing front bead

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

Replacing front bead

Postby huntbam » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:43 pm

The front bead on my Bronwing Gold Hunter 12 has broken and I'll I have left is the screw head. The screw is pretty tight and I don't want to foul the threads or the head. What is the easiest way to loosen the screw so I can replace the bead? My gun has the camo dura touch finish as well.

Re: Replacing front bead

Postby War Wagon » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:11 pm

Small E ZEE out
War Wagon

Postby clampdaddy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:25 pm

That little screw head will twist off quicker than shift if you don't use some heat to soften up that green threadlocker that Browning uses......ask me how I know. :lol3:

Postby tripleb » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:22 am

If you have a soldering iron, putting the tip of the iron (once it's hot) against the screw and holding it there for a couple minutes will loosen up any locking compound. What we used first, was to use a chase chisel (engraving chisel) to cut a small slot in the top of the broken screw .... then apply the soldering iron. A small screw driver was used to turn out the screw using the slot we cut with a chase chisel. If that didn't work ... we had to drill it and try a small EZ out. We didn't use the EZ out first because if it broke off, it was too hard to drill out with the drill bits we had.

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum