SBEII 2nd shell not cycling

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Postby mox » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:52 pm

I didn't find a search for my exact issue so...
Thought things were freezing on me this morning when 2nd shell wouldn't cycle. Bolt will retract, but will not lock completely open - it slides forward enough that I cannot fit the 1st 3.5 in shell in when loading without holding bolt open manually.
1st shot, bolt locks open but not completely open. Won't accept 2nd shell from magazine. I can press up on the shell guide and release bolt to chamber 2nd shell.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Whats the issue?

I will post pics ASAP to help. I'm a bad story teller and don't make fun of my gun parts vocab...
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Re: SBEII 2nd shell not cycling

Postby KENTBBB » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:53 am

hey bud,

Since the first round is short stroking, and of course it will not ramp the second, I am thinking it is a bolt issue?

Try taking the gun apart and running some fine steel wool in the grooves of the action or where the bolt lands ride.

This is what I would look at:

1) Disassemble the gun
2) Leave the bolt on the lower and visually and manually pull the bolt back and see if you feel resistance. There is always a possibility that there are some restrictions in the recoil spring operator. This will also allow you to look at the bolt lands closely for smoothness.
3) If the gun seems jerky or there seems to be resistance/grinding in the recoil spring you;ll have to take the stock off and lub the spring a little...very little.

Try this and tell me what you see. Sometimes these guns are finicky as to what you should shoot. You're shooting 3.5's therefore there shouldn't be any issues.

Sometimes it is the inertia spring, but let's start with this.

Hope this helps,
TK
KENTBBB
Newb

Postby mox » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:00 am

Thanks I'm working on it now. Here are some pics. Prob won't finish before church but I'll be sure to get back to follow up.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356271174.928708.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356271197.115568.jpg

**And let me add that the 1st hull is ejecting fine.
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Postby mox » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:26 am

Okay now button that locks bolt back is now sticking (not every time) I have to release it each time to release the bolt.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356272773.377528.jpg

Edit -- this may or not be related. It's not happening as frequently now.
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:51 am

Disassemble COMPLETELY. Get some gun scrubber and deuche every moving part with it, including the recoil spring tube. There is a hole on the forawrd end of the housing. Wipe all crud away while the parts are still wet and then deuche her out again and wipe clean or take an air compressor to her. After all the parts are completely dry, VERY LIGHTLY lubricate all the metal surfaces and moving parts, including the spring housing with a silicone-based lube or one of the pastes like from Tetra, using only enough to apply with your fingers. You shouldn't see any obvious blobs or puddles of lubricant. Reassemble and you should be good. I can't count how many times I had to do this with customer's guns...of any brand that would bring their gunked up shotguns into my store saying "the dern thing won't go." If they bought it from us, they got the job done for free. If not, I chrged 45 bucks to do it...sort of as a punishment for letting their guns get that bad.
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby william costa » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:46 pm

clean your recoil spring and tube and plunger take them out and clean!!it wil fix ur problem im 95% sure.
william costa
hunter

Postby mox » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:35 pm

dsm - I appreciate your response. I will prob do what you and costa both recommended. I'm still leaning toward a part in the trig assem being broken/bent/malfunctioning that's letting the bolt rest closed more than normal.
william costa wrote:clean your recoil spring and tube and plunger take them out and clean!!it wil fix ur problem im 95% sure.

Did this 2 wks ago. May have shot 10-15 rds since. Will do though just to make sure.
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Postby mox » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:07 pm

Found the culprit.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356386756.643094.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356386815.834717.jpg
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Postby mox » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:11 pm

Took out that broken pin and reassembled. Bolt will hold open completely now. Will have to locate this part before firing again. I'm sure somebody knows the proper name for it. I just know its broken off inside and had my recoil spring jammed. All is good now. Just wonder what Benelli will say when I contact customer service in a couple days...
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Postby mox » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:23 pm

Recoil spring plunger assembly was the issue.

$109-$118 is what I'm seeing so far unless anyone knows a better place?
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Postby yareelohim » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:21 pm

I just replaced this on a buddies shotgun who had the same exact problem. He is shooting an SBE I though. (I think this is the same problem as yours)

I know you said the recoil spring plunger but you may want to check the carrier plunger too. If the carrier plunger and spring are broke, the gun will not feed shell from the mag tube and the bolt will not lock back. Sounds like a carrier plunger to me and the recoil plunger breaking could have caused the carrier plunger to break too.

This is the pic missing the "carrier plunger"

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356405231.117129.jpg

Here it is with the carrier plunger

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356405323.657595.jpg

Here is how dirty the gun was lol
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356405387.856857.jpg

And after the cleaning which took awhile
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356405433.466439.jpg

Don't let your gun get this dirty...you are bound to snap a carrier plunger.

Local gunsmith had one in stock for $8
:)

Check MGW they should have one for $6.50. Get a spring with it too.
http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/60353
"For the High and Exalted One who lives forever, whose name is Holy says this: 'I live in a high and holy place, and with the oppressed and lowly of spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and revive the heart of the oppressed." - Isaiah57:15
yareelohim
hunter

Postby mox » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:04 am

yareelohim wrote:I just replaced this on a buddies shotgun who had the same exact problem. He is shooting an SBE I though. (I think this is the same problem as yours)

I know you said the recoil spring plunger but you may want to check the carrier plunger too. If the carrier plunger and spring are broke, the gun will not feed shell from the mag tube and the bolt will not lock back. Sounds like a carrier plunger to me and the recoil plunger breaking could have caused the carrier plunger to break too.

Thanks for the pictures and advice! Knew all other parts were functioning as I took my trig assem and bolt and placed them in another sbe2 and all things functioned flawlessly. I was having thoughts of what could have broken due to the recoil spring plunger breaking.

And for the record y'all, I keep all guns clean. Pistolas, rifles, shotguns alike. Lube is cheaper than parts!
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Postby rerhardt » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:42 am

call the company that sells the sure cycle system, they are called snake river machining, when they put there system in they throw away the original parts!!! but dont buy there system, its not any better than what you have in an sbe2, maybe you can get one for free, call benelli they have been great to me with parts under warrenty
rerhardt
hunter

Postby mox » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:15 am

rerhardt wrote:call the company that sells the sure cycle system, they are called snake river machining, when they put there system in they throw away the original parts!!! but dont buy there system, its not any better than what you have in an sbe2, maybe you can get one for free, call benelli they have been great to me with parts under warrenty

Thanks for that info!
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Postby mox » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:08 pm

Went ahead and just bought the stainless sure cycle system. May as well while Christmas cash is still in the account!
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum