Any quick tips to pull a stuck barrel?

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Any quick tips to pull a stuck barrel?

Postby DarenDeath » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:21 pm

My Browning Silver has the barrel stuck pretty well. I don't break it down completely every time and now I regret that. It's got the dura touch camo finish. I would take it to a gunsmith but I can't find an opening this holiday week.
Any tips ???
Last edited by DarenDeath on Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
DarenDeath
hunter

Re: Any quick tips to pull a stuck barrel?

Postby 3200 man » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:25 am

Shoot a little Kroil between where the barrel meets the receiver or some WD 40 and let it sit awhile , should come right out
with the help of one of your Buddies pulling on the barrel . Open the action first !
3200 man
hunter

Postby DarenDeath » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:41 am

I got some Rem. brand 'shotgun blaster' in the cracks as best I could. Then I put some Hoppes oil in there to soak. I don't have WD 40.
Still stuck. I repeated the above.
I hunt brackish water and there is some rusty areas. I had to use pliers to break free the threaded cap on the forestock.
DarenDeath
hunter

Postby G20M1 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:39 pm

You need to get some penetrating oil, like liquid wrench or pb blaster. Spray it in anywhere that the barrel is in contact with the rest of the gun. Then put the stock on the ground and put a rag over the muzzle and tap it with a rubber mallet ( not hard). Repeat every 30 minutes until you can pull it free.
The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.
-Ayn Rand
G20M1
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:00 pm

I saw an add recently for a product that you can use to "freeze" the barrel or choke tube to help break it free. I suspect it is essentially highly compressed ether or propane.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:51 pm

My silver did the same thing when it was new. The rubber o ring inside the barrel ring got stuck to the mag tube but it came apart with a good pull. I would try backing off the mag cap just a bit, maybe a half turn, and touch off a round. The pressure between the piston and barrel ring should break the bond.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby DarenDeath » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:01 am

I spoke to the gun smith today. He said he would soak with penetrating solvent like liquid wrench. I am doing that now, it may take a while. He said he would put some heat on it if needed but it would screw up the camo finish. If I can't get it apart I will drop it off with the gun smith. I just need it for another couple weeks til our season ends. :yes:
Clampdaddy, your tip is making me nervous.
DarenDeath
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:20 am

DarenDeath wrote: .....Clampdaddy, your tip is making me nervous.

Yeah, I could see how it would. :lol3: I did it once on a Franchi that my buddy got real cheap because of a stuck barrel. It only took one shot and nothing got hurt but I totally understand not wanting to try it on a nicer gun. How bout removing the forearm, put the cap back on a couple turns shy of tight, cocking the bolt back, and releasing it. Let the bolt act like a slide hammer. Just be sure to make sure the cap is down far enough that if the barrel does break loose the bolt won't come far enough forward for the handle to bugger the receiver.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:46 am

After you soak it with penetration fluid , you can put a empty shell in the chamber and with the bolt open , use a wood drift pin
to knock the barrel loose , by making contact with the head of the empty hull .
3200 man
hunter

Postby RiverReaper » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:58 pm

Go to NAPA get some freeze off. Spray it on the gun then hit it with your purse. Should do trick.
Wyoming Sucks
RiverReaper
hunter

Postby threedogs » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:59 pm

Have you tried clamping the stock to a table and using a come-a long on the bbl ? Give her a good twist with a pipe wrench? :lol:
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby DarenDeath » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:44 pm

RiverReaper wrote:Go to NAPA get some freeze off. Spray it on the gun then hit it with your purse. Should do trick.

:lol: best one yet. :clapping:
It worked just like you said too. Only it took about 3 more guys.
My fault though, I know. I should be better about breaking down and really cleaning my tools, especially after brackish waters.
DarenDeath
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:09 am

clampdaddy wrote:My silver did the same thing when it was new. The rubber o ring inside the barrel ring got stuck to the mag tube but it came apart with a good pull. I would try backing off the mag cap just a bit, maybe a half turn, and touch off a round. The pressure between the piston and barrel ring should break the bond.

That's a good way to shear off the barrel ring weld too! :fingerhead: I have seen that more than once with guys shooting high velocity steel and/or slugs. Might work once, but it can also only take once to send a barrel flying like a javeline.
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum