Browning Silver

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Browning Silver

Postby magnum12 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:33 pm

Question, I just got a new browning silver and after a full cleaning I loaded some shells to make sure it cycled them just fine. Coming from a A5 to this, the A5 I was able to cycle the action and empty out the entire magazine before the bolt would lock back. When I tried this with the Silver, I loaded the gun up and when I manually cycled the action, the bolt locked back with the next shell waiting to load. Then to load it, I had to press the slide release and load the gun again. Is this normal behavior for the Silver?
magnum12
hunter

Browning Silver

Postby brokermike » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:36 pm

Not on mine
brokermike
hunter

Re: Browning Silver

Postby magnum12 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:51 pm

Strange, i just pulled everything apart again, Trigger assembly, bolt and reassembled it and now it is working fine. I must of not had something lined up right but has anyone else ran into this before?
magnum12
hunter

Postby macdaddykeefer » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:25 pm

I havent but I had an issue with the barrel not being strain ur guts tight n the shell stopper for the mag wasnt workin n the.bolt handle flew.off....gotta another 1/4 turn out the cap n no more probs
John 3:16

Never let work get in the way of a possible duck whackin'
macdaddykeefer
hunter

Postby magnum12 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:00 pm

So I just came back from shooting trap and the gun worked like a champ without a hitch. I do have one question about cleaning the gas piston. I have read in several post to use either Break Free or Hoppes #9 but there are several different versions of break free. I was looking through my stuff and and found I do have some Break Free CLR, will this work for the gas piston since it cleans and lubricates or should I get something different?
magnum12
hunter

Postby 23yearsago » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:33 am

CLP and an old toothbrush works just fine.

Never experienced what you had with the extraction issue in either my SX3 or Silver.
23yearsago
hunter

Postby magnum12 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:55 pm

Thanks for the info! I do have some CLP and will use it to clean it. I did take the gun down to the trap range and round a 100 rounds through without a problem and took it out to the blind and not a single hick-up. So I guess who knows what the issue was but it seems to be working fine. :thumbsup:
magnum12
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:57 am

If only shooting 100 rounds I use Kroil on mine and they look New after cleaning. When I let them go for a couple thousand rounds between cleaning I throw them in the ultrasonic pot for 30min and then scrub them with a toothbrush. Mine will lock the bolt back when emptying it if you cycle it manually real slow. if you cycle it normally/fast it does not do that. :thumbsup:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum