Extrema II issue

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Extrema II issue

Postby Chattflorida » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:00 pm

The past few times I have been out hunting my gun has been misfiring. When I eject the shell out the primer is just barely dented but then I can put another shell in it and it will fire perfect and it has happened 4 or 5 times here recently. I thought it might be the shells I was using but it has happened with several different brands of shells. What could be causing this to happen? I have never totally disassembled the bolt on it in the 6 years I've had it because I couldn't get the handle on the bolt to come off and I didn't want to break it and I was also scared that I would tear it apart and not be able to get it back together to where it would work properly. Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated because I'm leaving for Arkansas on the 10th to shoot ducks and snows and really don't wanna have to deal with a gun that's gonna misfire on me.
Chattflorida
hunter

Re: Extrema II issue

Postby chad3 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:26 pm

Sounds like the firing pin spring to me. Brownelles shows two springs one internal and one external.
Should work, good luck.
chad3
hunter

Postby Chattflorida » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:03 pm

So there's more than one spring for the firing pin?
Chattflorida
hunter

Postby Conewago Duck'n » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:14 pm

Sounds like it needs a cleaning. If you're having trouble removing the bolt handle, the rotating bolt needs to be depressed about 1/2 way for the bolt handle to slide out. I believe there is even a mark on the rotating bolt to show you where it needs to be depressed to? I do it by sense of feel, remove the barrel, slide the bolt forward (gently), depress the rotating bolt head with your right hand and pull on the bolt handle with the left hand. If you've been shooting it for six years and never had it apart, may want/need a pliers to pull on the handle.
Once the handle pops out, bolt assembly will slide right out. Then you need a small drift, or even a straightened paper clip will work, to remove the pin in the back of the bolt assembly. Be careful as you remove this pin to cover/hold the firing pin assembly in place, as the springs will want to shoot the firing pin out the back. Then you can slide out the firing pin and springs. Rotate and remove the rotating bolt pin about 2/3 of the way up the bolt, and remove the rotating bolt head as well. Pay attention to how everything is assembled as you take it out, or even take pics with your phone as you go for future reference since you've never had it apart.
Douse everything with your choice of cleaner and swab out all the accumulated junk, debris, grease, etc. Very lightly oil with a quality lubricant ( not WD-40, rem-oil or other parafin containing oils) and reassemble. There is a schematic for the extrema II than can be found on the brownell's web site as well, if you get stuck at all as to how it gets put back together.
If it's truly been six years, and you've never really cleaned that gun, my money would be on it needs a cleaning finally.
Hope this helps.
Conewago Duck'n
hunter

Postby Chattflorida » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:33 pm

Thanks for all of your help. I'm going to try to take it apart tomorrow and see if that helps any and hopefully I can get it back together and it work
Chattflorida
hunter

Postby Garand » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:13 am

Here is a video addressing your problem (maybe)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FQhPMjX0jQ
Garand
hunter

Postby OldGeezer » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:04 pm

I had the same problem with my Extrema 2. I replaced both springs and firing pin. Still no go. I then replaced the hammer spring and now have had no issues after 3 thousand or so 3.5 inch rounds. I purchased the parts from Brownell's.
OldGeezer
hunter

Postby Chattflorida » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:48 pm

I took the bolt apart and cleaned it really good. I found that there was a ton of gunk inside of the bolt and cleaned it all. Ever since I cleaned it really good I haven't had any problems with it.
Chattflorida
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:20 pm

Which goes to show us all that a clean gun is a reliable gun. If you don't have the confidence to take your gun apart and put it back together, then take it to someone who can. Pay 'em if you have to!
mudpack
hunter

Postby Wade_660 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:38 am

I agree that the gun may need cleaning. My extrema 2 did this from day one. Check the o-ring in the very end of the forearm. Mine was out of place causing the bolt to not shut all the way and causing this issue. I went to fastenal and they gave me another o-ring and I haven't had a problem since
Wade_660
Newb

Postby Chattflorida » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:57 pm

Thanks for all of yalls help. Ever since I took the bolt apart and cleaned it really good I haven't had any problems out of it. The best thing out of it all was that I realized it was a whole lot easier to take the bolt apart than what I had expected cuz I saw a buddy take his M2 apart and there was a ton of pieces to his bolt so I just assumed mine would probably be the same way but when I got it all apart mine didn't have half as many parts and pieces to it as his did so it made taking it apart and putting it back together really simple and easy.
Chattflorida
hunter

Postby 10Tenner » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:41 pm

Beretta Xtrema II's have been know for lite strikes on primers. My brother sent back one of his two Extrema II's 3 times. Beretta would not acknowledge anything wrong with the design change from the Extrema I, much harder hits, and larger firing pin. They even told him not to shoot reloads, that is what it says in the manual, on pg 40 something. LOL Well, third time back he noticed harder strikes, and deeper indent. They had taken one of the springs out that goes around the firing pin. There are two springs inner and outer. My maxis does not even have a spring around the firing pin. All you need is enough tension to rebound the firing pin. 10Tenner
10Tenner
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum