not feeding shell after first shot

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

not feeding shell after first shot

Postby sihunter66 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:34 pm

My beretta 391 Urika(not the new version, this gun has 8 seasons) has been giving me fits when it comes to cycling shells. After firing the first shot the bolt will not return all the way with the second shell. Two years ago i had a gunsmith replace the recoil spring and clean the tube thourghly. I have been keeping it clean and even took the stock off and there was not a speck of rust on the tube for the recoil spring. The weather has been in the upper 20's to start and in the 30's by early morning.

Has anyone put in one of these Sure Cycle Action Tube Assemblies that I see advertised in Mack's Praire Wings? It has all stainless steel components and runs $159.00. I'm ready to chuck the #$%& thing in the water next time i take it out and it does this.
Any comments on the stainless tube or another routes to go would be appreciated.
sihunter66
Newb

Re: not feeding shell after first shot

Postby winchester1852 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:59 pm

dose this happen with both the light loads and the heavy loads
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:47 am

Inspect & clean the magazine tube, spring and follower just to make sure the cartridge is being properly delivered to the carriage and bolt. It could be a gummy mag assembly isn't putting the shell into the correct position in time for the bolt to feed it to the chamber.

With the cold temps you are describing I would also check the amount of and type of lube being used. Most anything mechanical that has lubrication will tend to run slower in the cold.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby threedogs » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:04 pm

I'll answer your question. Yes, they work. My Winnie Superx 2 did the same thing and I put the sure cycle kit in it and solved the problem..
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:32 am

Possibly too much or the incorrect type of lube causing your issue, Also when you store your gun do you store it with the action open, This can and will weaken the action spring on shotguns, I have replaced many for customers that store them open and the new recoil spring is about 2-3" longer than the one that I removed.. Sure-cycle units work but no better that the factory parts IMO. I have installed a few and can not see a difference even in sub 0 temps especially for the jacked up price they sell for. I prefer the Wolff standard Or if your shooting not shooting 1oz loads I go with the Extra power springs. They work great and are about $12
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SmackinTheQuackin » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:52 am

Spray some gun scrubber rust inhibitor in the magazine tube, hold the carrier and use a finger to work that spring back an forth. You could have some rust building up in there. I have an extrema 2 and later in the season it tends to happen. Hope this helps. Good luck
HUNT TO HUNT ANOTHER DAY

CONTRA COSTA COUNTY DUCKS UNLIMITED CHAPTER

"hold my beer...watch this"
SmackinTheQuackin
hunter

Postby Steelmaster » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:08 pm

Mine did this last year i put a stainless gas piston on her and use a lube calle Jigaloo. Inspect that piston.
Steelmaster
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum