1187 SuperMag wont load third shot?

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

1187 SuperMag wont load third shot?

Postby NealLauderman » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:01 pm

I am having an issue with my Remington 11-87 Super Magnum where it wont load my third shot into the gun. It just stays in the tube. It happens with all different size rounds and different brands. The first 2 shots will cycle flawlessly and then the third will just stay in the tube. When it does this the slide will stay open like the gun is empty.

Usually to get the third shell out I have to cycle the gun LOTS of times by pulling back the slide and hitting the release.

Anyone know what would cause this? It is my first semi-auto.
NealLauderman
hunter

Re: 1187 SuperMag wont load third shot?

Postby tenfingergrip » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:43 pm

Sounds to me like the magazine spring may not have the plastic cap protecting the end of the spring and it may be getting hung on a burr in the magazine, keeping the spring from pushing the second shell out to the receiver??? What happens when you manually shuck the last shell? Does it eject into the receiver.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby NealLauderman » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:41 am

Hey,

Thanks for the feedback. I bought this gun used so to be honest I dont know much about it. Especially since it is my first semi. I did pull the spring out the other day and made sure it was clean and looked good and it did. However... I do not remember seeing a plastic cap on the spring so that could definitely be the case!

Not sure what you mean when you say manually shucking the last shell. If I hit the button to release the slide and then pull it back it still wont eject it into the chamber. I typically have to keep doing that until it finally pops loose. That or I release the slide and stick my finger onto the back of the shell and keep pushing it forward like I was putting another shell in. Sometimes that will break it loose and when I pull the slide back it will eject into the chamber. Hopefully that makes sense.
NealLauderman
hunter

Postby Pappy84 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:38 pm

Her are 2 things to try. Disassemble the gun and mag. tube so there is nothing in the tube. Get the last section of a cleaning rod and put a cleaning brush on it, then wrap some steel wool around the brush so its fairly tight in the mag tube. Put the cleaning rod in a drill and polish the inside of the mag. tube. Also make sure the plastic cap (shell folower) is clean. You can also stretch the mag. tube spring some to get more preasure.
Friends don't make promises they can't keep.
Pappy84
hunter

Postby GuitarPlayer » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:40 pm

My Browning does that with rusty shells... I open the action and stick my finger in the port. Push the shell in a little bit, and let it snap out. I have to either be quick or hold the bolt open with my other hand or avoid having my finger bitten by it... It will probably slam shut once the shell is freed from its tubular prison :thumbsup:
GuitarPlayer
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:11 pm

NealLauderman wrote:Hey,

Thanks for the feedback. I bought this gun used so to be honest I dont know much about it. Especially since it is my first semi. I did pull the spring out the other day and made sure it was clean and looked good and it did. However... I do not remember seeing a plastic cap on the spring so that could definitely be the case!
Not sure what you mean when you say manually shucking the last shell. If I hit the button to release the slide and then pull it back it still wont eject it into the chamber. I typically have to keep doing that until it finally pops loose. That or I release the slide and stick my finger onto the back of the shell and keep pushing it forward like I was putting another shell in. Sometimes that will break it loose and when I pull the slide back it will eject into the chamber. Hopefully that makes sense.

Sounds like you need to order a plastic shell follower for your 1187 and/or do exactly what Pappy suggested with the steel wool on the electric drill. I believe you must have a burr inside the magazine or the naked spring may be holding the shell, especially since you said you are having a problem even manually shucking that last shell from the magazine. Call Brownells or Remington if you are missing the plastic magazine shell follower that goes over the end of the spring.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby wetgoldenretriever » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:53 pm

had the exact same problem. There is a little spring loaded clip type thing on the side with the opening. there will be a retaining clip on there, take it off. polish the contact surfaces and then put it back together. when together put a drop of clp of it. you should now be good to go.

P.S. if you break or lose the clip, it is a 1/4” in size. good luck!
dont shoot until you can see their toenails!
wetgoldenretriever
hunter

Postby NealLauderman » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:50 am

Thanks everyone for the help. I checked lastnight and it does have the spring cap so that isn't the issue. I will try the other suggestions and report back if it works out.
NealLauderman
hunter

Postby O2Fsh » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:14 am

I had the exact same issue with my 1187 SuperMag. Fixed it finally with a new magazine spring, follower, and magazine spring guide kit from Mack's Prairie Wings. The kit cost me about $30. That included an aluminum guide/plug and an aluminum follower. Get rid of the plastic. Remington should have NEVER used plastic! When the new spring arrived it was a good 7-8 inches longer than the spring I had.

You maybe could stretch your magazine spring and get by until your new spring arrives. Mack's shipped it pretty quick for me.

Also, EVERYONE with an 1187 SUPERMAG should check the breech bold for cracks. Inspect closely on the underside for cracks. If found call Remington. They replaced mine for free.... no questions asked. <-- All this after the gunsmith couldn't get one from them for me.

Good luck!!

O2Fsh
Last edited by O2Fsh on Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
O2Fsh
In a marsh somewhere, nowhere near your spot.
O2Fsh
hunter

Postby xtrema13 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:16 am

Don't quote me. But the supermag says ONLY 3 1/2.

Sent from my Super Mag
xtrema13
hunter

Postby NealLauderman » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:07 pm

xtrema, the supermag shoots 2 3/4, 3, and 3 1/2".

All, just wanted to give a quick update. I stretched the string a little, cleaned the spring, cleaned the spring follower, and buffed out the tube. Unfortunately it is still an issue.

I got to look into the issue further and it looks like wetgoldenretriever called it spot on. It looks like the bullet is getting stuck on the little spring loaded clip thing on the side. I tried removing the e-clip to pull it off and polish it as he suggested but couldn't get the clip off. Going to try it again tomorrow. When I reach my hand in and manually push on the little bar the shell pops right in the chamber.
NealLauderman
hunter

Postby xtrema13 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:44 pm

I just said that because my 870 has trouble cycling non 3 1/2 in shells

Sent from my Super Mag
xtrema13
hunter

Postby USNCPOquackaddict » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:56 pm

EXTREMA.. The 11-87 & 870 12ga. Super Mags all cycle 2 3/4, 3 & 3 1/2. If it wont cycle less than 3 1/2 in loads tear down your mag tube. 870 should have a green plug. I had my spring seat (black piece at the top), crack and my mag plug was getting hung up in it. flipped the plug over & walla, still cracked & works like a champ, new spring & follower is always a great idea.
:beer:
Click, Bang, Splash, Repeat. Happy Happy.
USNCPOquackaddict
hunter

Postby Steelmaster » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:18 pm

Please take my advice save a few bucks and get rid of that thing. You will end up understanding what I am getting at it's just starting. Oh yah Remington customer service sucks!!!!
Steelmaster
hunter

Postby talltimber » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:10 pm

Tip broke off the shell catch/latch? Go
to Remington and look at an exploded parts view for part identification. I had the same problem with mine. Those were the symptoms. No biggie, just replace the latch.
talltimber
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum