870 express supermag stock crack

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

870 express supermag stock crack

Postby hobbsj » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:31 am

I have a wood stock on a used 870 supermag I bought several years ago. cleaning up from this season, I noticed a hairline crack of about 1 to 1.5 inches from the edge to about where the checking starts. its the walnut stock and not composite. Any ideas on how to fix it? Or, is it necessary to even worry about it?
One thing duck hunting has taught me is that in prehistoric time, I would probably be a gatherer.
hobbsj
hunter

Re: 870 express supermag stock crack

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:42 am

Where is it cracked? near the butt or at the wrist? in most cases it is easier to just buy a used one of gunbroker for $50. I use Gorilla glue (very little as it expands) and force it into the crack with a spudger or your finger then clean up the overage with water and clamp it. keep a wet cloth handy and wipe off any extra the squeezes out. do not worry about getting water in the crack as water helps this glue set.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Re: 870 express supermag stock crack

Postby fishduck » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:26 pm

870s are known for cracking the walnut stocks. I had three different ones on a gun before I switched to synthetic. From my experience they crack after about 2000 rounds.

Fishduck
fishduck
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum