Extended Choke Blown Barrel (M2 Field) - Caught on GoPro

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Extended Choke Blown Barrel (M2 Field) - Caught on GoPro

Postby njonesy_07 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:19 am

This morning's hunt went well, except for the fact that my gun had a major "mishap". The gun was freshly cleaned the day prior to this hunt, including three swabs with the Bore-Snake. Nothing should have been lodged in the barrel as this was the first shot of the hunt. From what I distinctly remember from the hunt and after reviewing the video/images, I can say with confidence that the muzzle was clear of obstructions. I have never seen this or read about this happening. It was a Carlson's extended (non-ported) modified choke....similar to those I have shown in a couple of the pictures as a reference.

I was shooting Kent 3" 1 1/4oz. #3s - Brand new out of the box.

I will be contacting both Benelli and Carlson's and see what they can do for me. The gun is hardly 3 years old, well within the 5 year warranty. I have put a slide show together with the evidence I have posted here for you to look over.

Question: How should I go about removing the remainder of the choke? Or should I leave it and send to Benelli for inspection? Also, if it is possible to remove...should I continue to shoot it for the last two weeks of the season, assuming I can install a new choke (threads don't seem to be damaged, based on my assumptions only)?

I think I'll let the pictures do the rest of the explaining....

More pictures to follow....
Last edited by njonesy_07 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Re: Extended Choke Blown Barrel - Caught on GoPro

Postby njonesy_07 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:23 am

Please let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions. As I said before, not really sure what or how this happened as I am always very careful with the muzzle end of the gun. Again, as I said before, this was the first shot of the hunt this a.m. Stuck wad in the barrel is not possible, and muzzle blockage is very improbable as I would have noticed prior to the incident.

I will be contacting Benelli and Carlson's tomorrow. :crying:
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Re: Extended Choke Blown Barrel (M2 Field) - Caught on GoPro

Postby OmegaRed » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:45 am

Hard to say but with no backstory and me looking just at pictures, I would say it's barrel blockage.

Where the shells you shooting old or new and never wet?
I just pooped my pants.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby jeepman » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:11 am

All Barrels flex when fired. That is why heavy barrels for rifles are made for target shooting. It adds to the rigidity of the barrel and improves accuracy. As for your barrel, I had a similar problem this past season, but mine involved shooting a wet round, unknowingly with the wad not leaving the barrel. If the barrel was clear like you said, then it is either an ammo or choke issue. I would leave whatever is left of the choke in the barrel and send it in for inspection to carlson if they will accept it. The choke is an aftermarket, and not a factory choke so most likley Benelli won't want anything to do with it. Also some tappers of aftermarket chokes are differnnt with differnt size shells and loads. You might have been fireng too much of a load through the choke and that shot was a little hotter and the barrel/choke couldn't handle it.
jeepman
hunter

Postby TomKat » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:29 am

AGREE with both of the above posters. Jonsey, you had an obstruction of some type. I shoot the exact same set up...this hit close to home for me. Are you sure you didn't leave a patch in the barrel? Accidently get a twig in the end? Get snow in the end?

Send that barrel into Benelli USA for inspection. Don't mess with it, be damned last 2 weeks of the season.

THIS IS A SAFETY ISSUE!

Good luck buddy. I am glad you are not hurt.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby clampdaddy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:19 am

Because the threads are at the forward end of the tube it seems to me that if there were an obstruction the failure would have happened at the weakest portion of the muzzle area which would be the thin area around the tube, behind the threads. Looks like a defective choke tube to me.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:42 am

TomKat wrote:AGREE with both of the above posters. Jonsey, you had an obstruction of some type. I shoot the exact same set up...this hit close to home for me. Are you sure you didn't leave a patch in the barrel? Accidently get a twig in the end? Get snow in the end?

Send that barrel into Benelli USA for inspection. Don't mess with it, be damned last 2 weeks of the season.

THIS IS A SAFETY ISSUE!

Good luck buddy. I am glad you are not hurt.

No patches. I use a bore-snake only for cleaning the barrel.

I'll have to contact Benelli/Carlson's tomorrow as I'm very busy today. Hopefully someone will want to help me. :fingerhead:
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby G20M1 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:11 pm

You might want to contact the shot shell company as well, if there was truly no obstruction, it would have to be the shell being OP. This sucks because I was under the impression that extended chokes were less likely to cause barrel damage than flush chokes.

On a side note it would be interesting to know if the wad, shot, and choke section stayed together and acted like a slug. Or if it all separated. Did you get the bird?
The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.
-Ayn Rand
G20M1
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:26 pm

G20M1 wrote:You might want to contact the shot shell company as well, if there was truly no obstruction, it would have to be the shell being OP. This sucks because I was under the impression that extended chokes were less likely to cause barrel damage than flush chokes.

On a side note it would be interesting to know if the wad, shot, and choke section stayed together and acted like a slug. Or if it all separated. Did you get the bird?

No, missed the bird on this particular shot.
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby The Drake » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:31 pm

This look like a Carlsons issue rather than a barrel issue,,,,,,,,
The Drake
hunter

Postby retired » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:15 pm

It looks like a failure in the choke. And it took a couple years before it let loose. You have had the chokes for awhile. Hope they take care of it for you.Keep us up to date on what you find out. Retired
retired
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:44 pm

Retired & Drake,

I've had most of my Carlson's chokes for my M2 for a decent length of time now. However the Mod. was the most recently purchased. I haven't had an issue with the others I own. :huh:

Doesn't Carlson's have a life-time warranty for their chokes?
Last edited by njonesy_07 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:01 pm

That is crazy! I am glad you are not injured. Hope you get it figured out.
I don't want it, i just need it. To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive
ILgoosehunter12
hunter

Postby yareelohim » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:06 am

I would say the choke was the culprit not the load or an obstruction. Obstructions generally cause bulges in the barrel.

Call Carlson's, I am almost positive they will be willing to help.
"For the High and Exalted One who lives forever, whose name is Holy says this: 'I live in a high and holy place, and with the oppressed and lowly of spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and revive the heart of the oppressed." - Isaiah57:15
yareelohim
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:12 am

yareelohim wrote:I would say the choke was the culprit not the load or an obstruction. Obstructions generally cause bulges in the barrel.

Call Carlson's, I am almost positive they will be willing to help.

Thanks, I will definitely contact them. Should I be expecting them to cover the choke or both the choke and the barrel? I will contact Benelli regarding the barrel damage, but I suspect they will claim it to be the choke tube manufacturer's issue.

I will report with the feedback customer service provides me.
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby yareelohim » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:14 am

I think Atwoodflash was the Carlson rep on this forum. He may still be around. Maybe PM him with your pics too.
"For the High and Exalted One who lives forever, whose name is Holy says this: 'I live in a high and holy place, and with the oppressed and lowly of spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and revive the heart of the oppressed." - Isaiah57:15
yareelohim
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:20 am

yareelohim wrote:I think Atwoodflash was the Carlson rep on this forum. He may still be around. Maybe PM him with your pics too.

I forgot about that guy. I'll PM him with a link, see what he thinks about the threads I've posted already.
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby bulletman » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:50 am

If you don't mind me asking,,,,,,,,why do you keep asking others on this forum about the products you are using rather than ask Benelli, Kent, and Carlsons? I am sure that many others (and I) are interested in the cause if it can be determined as well as the customer service response from the companies involved but they are the ones that can answer your questions.
bulletman
hunter

Postby The Drake » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:48 am

yareelohim wrote:I think Atwoodflash was the Carlson rep on this forum. He may still be around. Maybe PM him with your pics too.

I believe that is Shane Carlson........not just a rep.
The Drake
hunter

Postby yareelohim » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:18 pm

Drake

I think you may be right, I want sure if it was Shane or not.
yareelohim
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:46 am

I have seen a LOT of these and that is a pressure issue from a blockage. either from a previous wad or another obstruction. To flare the end of the barrel and seperate the end of the choke tube was not from a defective tube or barrel. When you send it in I would bet that they tell you that is was a blockage too. also in your picture there is what looks like a lot of Dirt being blown out into the air IMO.

ScrnShot3Edit_zps3c51351e.jpg
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby lostknife4 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:47 am

Very coincidental that all this was on film.....what were you shooting at............and you have all the pieces or do you? I would have expected to see in that particular picture with all the smoke and crud some indication of a flying choke part.
Appears to me that at some time that choke was in a sidewise blunt force contact with another object with perhaps enough force to start a crack at the root of the tube where it steps up in diameter and on firing, the gases and subsequent pressure was released at the least weakest part of the end of the barrel maybe causing some barrel distortion at the point where the crack first started.
You didn't mention what the load or shot size was used in this tube previously and whether the tube end remained on the barrel after breaking or whether you had to search in the water or blind for it or if you even found it. Carlson's and Benelli make good equipment.
Tooooo many coincidences for my liking......... More going on here than meets the eye.
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby everythings ducky » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:13 pm

:lol3: :lol3: :lol3: I love the conspiracy theories. This is getting good.

Njonesy regularly takes pictures/films his hunts and posts them on the Oregon forum and elsewhere. My cousin uses a similar camera when we are paintballing. Easy to do. It is coincidental and not a surprise to me that he got it on film. I think he was just trying to understand what happened and posting this thread to get help in understanding what caused it. At this point, it's hard to really know what caused this. I will be curious to hear what Carlson has to say when the barrel and choke are examined.
everythings ducky
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:24 pm

lostknife4 wrote:Very coincidental that all this was on film.....what were you shooting at............and you have all the pieces or do you? I would have expected to see in that particular picture with all the smoke and crud some indication of a flying choke part.
Appears to me that at some time that choke was in a sidewise blunt force contact with another object with perhaps enough force to start a crack at the root of the tube where it steps up in diameter and on firing, the gases and subsequent pressure was released at the least weakest part of the end of the barrel maybe causing some barrel distortion at the point where the crack first started.
You didn't mention what the load or shot size was used in this tube previously and whether the tube end remained on the barrel after breaking or whether you had to search in the water or blind for it or if you even found it. Carlson's and Benelli make good equipment.
Tooooo many coincidences for my liking......... More going on here than meets the eye.
Lost

very interesting detective.......hmm
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby herm1984 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:54 pm

Been two weeks, where is the update/verdict?
What companies have been contacted?
What responses received?
herm1984
hunter

Next

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum