Extended Choke Blown Barrel (M2 Field) - Caught on GoPro

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Re: Extended Choke Blown Barrel (M2 Field) - Caught on GoPro

Postby winchester1852 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:54 pm

Red Huck wrote:The problem I had With Kents were failure to fire , Duds. Sent them an the rest of the box back to kent. They sent me another box. Wrote me that they were wet, and issued the warning.They are still the only shells I ever had a problem with and I don't know how they got wet.But I took the warning to heart.Could be dangerous if the load rust an becomes a solid.

heard of this happening before when the load become a solid projectile.
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby big fish only » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:10 am

SO... is that what the consensus is on what the OP had happen?

IE BUMP! :beer: :beer:

Alex
big fish only
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:24 pm

The jury is still out...................
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:19 pm

:drool: :zzz: :drool: :zzz: :drool: :zzz: :drool: :zzz: :drool: :zzz: :drool: :zzz: :drool: :zzz: :drool: :zzz: :drool: :zzz: :drool::zzz: :drool: :zzz: :drool:

:bump: :bump: :bump: :bump: :bump: :bump: :bump: :bump: :bump: :bump:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby OmegaRed » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:31 am

yus
Attachments
what-is-dead-may-never-die-3.png
I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby aunt betty » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:27 am

Have not read entire thread but will offer a possible cause.

I had some old steel I'd been carrying for years. Not much shooting.
I went somewhere good. Bayou Bottoms. I was missing and my gun seemed super loud so I cut one shell open.
OMG they were one rusty chunk...that explained why gun was louder and couldnt hit a duck to save my A.

Tossed the whole box immediately.
Keep your powder and shot dry.

After changing ammo I started killin stuff.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby Skip72 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:01 pm

I have been lurking -and waiting for a resolution... so I guess this is a bump. Maybe the OP doesn't monitor the forum during the off season, but now that the 2013-14 season is upon us, we'll hear something...maybe
Skip72
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:50 pm

Update on its way. I'm surprised this thread is still atop the boards.
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:14 pm

LMAO. we have been keeping it "bumped" just for you.... :lol3:

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby clampdaddy » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:41 pm

Christ almighty, this is lame. Four pages of bumps? Why don't you guys do something more valuable with your time......like posting pics of hot chicks on the "free pass" thread. :thumbsup:
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:57 pm

Wishful thinking Clamp ! hot chicks ? Come-on , caught on GOPro , I'm waiting ? :yes: :thumbsup:
3200 man
hunter

Postby anderchuck » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:56 pm

Also had split barrel issue with my M2. Nothing should have been lodged in the barrel as it happened on my second shot at the bird. But then again I guess the wad may have gotten stuck. I always check my choke to ensure it is tight so that should of been fine. I was shooting BlackClouds.
Long story short, contacted Benelli they had me send in the barrel and the empty box from the shells. A week later I received a brand new barrel free of charge.
Never received an actual cause but they hinted to the following:
- certain shells that shoot at higher FPS can damage barrels (Blackclouds shoot at 1,450fps) so that shouldn't have been it.
- Blackclouds Flitecontrol Wad issue?
- it was snowing hard this day so ice build up. (but why did it happen on the second shot?)

As you can see Benelli would not take blame but they had great customer service and made things right! I'm just happy no one got hurt cause the choke split in half and flew about 40 yds out into the water.
Attachments
split barrel 5.jpg
split barrel 4.jpg
anderchuck
Newb

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:22 pm

anderchuck wrote:Also had split barrel issue with my M2. Nothing should have been lodged in the barrel as it happened on my second shot at the bird. But then again I guess the wad may have gotten stuck. I always check my choke to ensure it is tight so that should of been fine. I was shooting BlackClouds.
Long story short, contacted Benelli they had me send in the barrel and the empty box from the shells. A week later I received a brand new barrel free of charge.
Never received an actual cause but they hinted to the following:
- certain shells that shoot at higher FPS can damage barrels (Blackclouds shoot at 1,450fps) so that shouldn't have been it.
- Blackclouds Flitecontrol Wad issue?
- it was snowing hard this day so ice build up. (but why did it happen on the second shot?)

As you can see Benelli would not take blame but they had great customer service and made things right! I'm just happy no one got hurt cause the choke split in half and flew about 40 yds out into the water.

Was this with a factory choke?

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby anderchuck » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:54 pm

Yes factory choke. I know it doesn't help much with the original post but figured I'd share.
anderchuck
Newb

Postby lostknife4 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:43 am

Maybe the first shot cracked the choke and barrel and the second shot finished the job.
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:44 am

hunting with a friend he was shooting a SBE 1 st generation which had a stock skeet choke in it , he was shooting Estate
3" 1 1/4 oz of BB's . We shot limits of birds that morning and picked-up , we went back to the truck talking how great it was .
While he was putting his gun away I heard him say WOW , he then came over to show me that his choke in the barrel was nice
and tight but , the bottom edge of the choke was bent in about 1/8 " ? I don't know how many rounds went through that choke
that morning after it was bent in but , my thinking was , if he shot it again it would have ruined his barrel ?

It was a pain to get the choke out but , the extra chokes he had screwed right-in with no problems .

He's still shooting the same gun and choke , to this day !
3200 man
hunter

Postby mmayes » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:54 pm

Has anyone heard from the OP?????

Mayes
mmayes
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:23 pm

bump
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:36 am

bump too !!!!!!!
Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Postby T Man » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:24 am

So for the last 5 months everyone has bumped the thread, but no one has bothered to pm the op? I just sent him one, hopefully we will have some resolution.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby lostknife4 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:59 am

T Man wrote:So for the last 5 months everyone has bumped the thread, but no one has bothered to pm the op? I just sent him one, hopefully we will have some resolution.

On Oct 8, 2013 Jonesy told us that an update was on the way.............
Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:58 am

Three months later and still no answer!! "On the way" must be something like a cheque that is "in the mail" LOL After a year and 7 pages still no answer.
Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:09 am

I problem was worked out in October. Carlson's was able to remove the stuck portion of the choke, determine the walls of the barrel were safe/undamaged, and provided me with a replacement mid-range extended tube. The threads were undamaged and tubes screw in perfectly. Unfortunately a replacement barrel wasn't an option due to the fact that the barrel did not have significant damage and was still safe/usable. Evidence of a blockage was inconclusive.

The point is, I am still capable of using the firearm and did not have to drop $400-500 for a new barrel.

I apologize for being slow to respond.
Last edited by njonesy_07 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby T Man » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:31 am

njonesy_07 wrote:I problem was worked out in October. Carlson's was able to remove the stuck portion of the choke, determine the walls of the barrel were safe/undamaged, and provided me with a replacement mid-range extended tube. The threads were undamaged and tubes screw in perfectly. Unfortunately a replacement barrel wasn't an option due to the fact that the barrel did not have significant damage and was still safe/usable. Evidence of a blockage was inconclusive.

The point is, I am still able of using the firearm and did not have to drop $400-500 for a new barrel.

Glad it all got resolved
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby lostknife4 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:00 am

T Man wrote:
njonesy_07 wrote:I problem was worked out in October. Carlson's was able to remove the stuck portion of the choke, determine the walls of the barrel were safe/undamaged, and provided me with a replacement mid-range extended tube. The threads were undamaged and tubes screw in perfectly. Unfortunately a replacement barrel wasn't an option due to the fact that the barrel did not have significant damage and was still safe/usable. Evidence of a blockage was inconclusive.

The point is, I am still able of using the firearm and did not have to drop $400-500 for a new barrel.

Glad it all got resolved

Lost
lostknife4
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum