Extended Choke Blown Barrel (M2 Field) - Caught on GoPro

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Re: Extended Choke Blown Barrel (M2 Field) - Caught on GoPro

Postby The Drake » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:24 pm

?????
The Drake
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:40 pm

The Drake wrote:?????

:ditto:
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:03 am

Y'all need to relax a bit :lol3:

No new information to report....

Benelli hasn't quoted me a price for a new barrel. I haven't been able to send in the barrel yet, but will finally get around to it this week. Its been a very busy two weeks and I haven't been able to make much ground towards a replacement. I am doubtful I will get a new barrel as a warranty. Benelli said they will not warranty due to it was a Carlson's choke, not their own. The barrel will be sent to Carlson's for inspection of the barrel and blown choke.

I will definitely post with updates.
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby njonesy_07 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:04 am

lostknife4 wrote:Very coincidental that all this was on film.....what were you shooting at............and you have all the pieces or do you? I would have expected to see in that particular picture with all the smoke and crud some indication of a flying choke part.
Appears to me that at some time that choke was in a sidewise blunt force contact with another object with perhaps enough force to start a crack at the root of the tube where it steps up in diameter and on firing, the gases and subsequent pressure was released at the least weakest part of the end of the barrel maybe causing some barrel distortion at the point where the crack first started.
You didn't mention what the load or shot size was used in this tube previously and whether the tube end remained on the barrel after breaking or whether you had to search in the water or blind for it or if you even found it. Carlson's and Benelli make good equipment.
Tooooo many coincidences for my liking......... More going on here than meets the eye.
Lost

Perhaps the most the amusing thing I've read all week. :fingerhead:
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby lostknife4 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:55 am

The fracture analysis will tell exactly what happened to this choke tube. It could possibly be that there was a problem in the heat treatment of the tube and a weak spot finally showed up at the point where the stress would be concentrated ie the root of the dimensional change of section. However, as "amusing" as this was to you, the jury is still out on this one, I'm not the only skeptic here.
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:23 am

lostknife4 wrote:The fracture analysis will tell exactly what happened to this choke tube. It could possibly be that there was a problem in the heat treatment of the tube and a weak spot finally showed up at the point where the stress would be concentrated ie the root of the dimensional change of section.
Lost

X2. IIRC Patternmaster had a bad run of tubes some years back PM told me they were sent the wrong stainless material and that it had made it into production. Maybe Carlson's have had the same problem? :huh:
Winchester SX2 12ga, SX3 20ga, Kicks Highflyer and Terror chokes.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby yareelohim » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:44 am

Idk Lost...I think it's much more plausible the choke failed from a manufacturing defecting as opposed to Jonesy hitting a tree while swinging through a duck or any amount of lateral force.

I have pounded on stuck choke tubes with sledge hammers. I have seen other gun smiths twist barrels trying to get a stuck tube to release. In the case of these stuck tubes which took a severe pounding...not a single one has broken or cracked that I have seen.
"For the High and Exalted One who lives forever, whose name is Holy says this: 'I live in a high and holy place, and with the oppressed and lowly of spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and revive the heart of the oppressed." - Isaiah57:15
yareelohim
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:29 am

We don't know the history of this tube prior to, if it was a tight one and someone shot a lot of heavy numbered shot through it the stresses of expansion could very well have culminated at that point of dimensional change because of going from a thin relative tube outside diameter to a much larger relative outside tube diameter, and with questionable tube material and heat treatment it is possible of course. However that doesn't explain the bent barrel section nor why the tube isn't bent in that particular place making the tube removal very difficult indeed........... as I said there is a lot more going on here than meets the eye IMHO.
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:42 pm

lostknife4 wrote:as I said there is a lot more going on here than meets the eye IMHO.

More going on here than meets the eye? I don't know what more you want me to tell you about the situation. Hell, I have a video of the incident. You can bet that I'm emailing the video file to both Carlson's and Benelli, however Carlson's will have more need to see it. I'm not making any claims as to what happened, just reporting the issue and exactly what happened leading up to the incident. To my best knowledge there was no obstruction. The video does not show any obvious obstruction at the end of the barrel where the damage occurred (although it is difficult to know for sure purely from video evidence). I shoot on average 1-2 cases of steel 3" #3s for ducks, and maybe a couple boxes of 3" BBs. By no means have I ever put large steel shot through my gun, not even BBBs.

lostknife4 wrote:Very coincidental that all this was on film.....what were you shooting at............and you have all the pieces or do you?

Would you still consider it coincidental if I told you that I filmed 90% of my hunts this season? Please elaborate by what you mean by "what were you shooting at". To me, this says that you find it a coincidence that I happened to be WATERFOWL HUNTING and shot at a DUCK.

No I do not have the pieces. The choke was gone immediately with virtually no "burrs" or "slivers" of the remaining choke tube protruding out of the barrel. I may try a metal detector, but I have little hope of finding any pieces.

I would have expected to see in that particular picture with all the smoke and crud some indication of a flying choke part.

You and me both. Again, just reporting what the video showed. Is that really so difficult to believe?

You didn't mention what the load or shot size was used in this tube previously and whether the tube end remained on the barrel after breaking or whether you had to search in the water or blind for it or if you even found it.

Again, did not find. If I had I'm sure I would have posted images of the piece of the choke. End of the choke tube was immediately gone, like shown in the video. We looked for it, but didn't find anything due to the standing water, mud and debris in the water. Again, perhaps a metal detector will work? We'll see.

Carlson's and Benelli make good equipment.

I have never said anything contrary to your statement. In fact, I will still be customer of both companies. I am just looking for answers.

Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby lostknife4 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:58 pm

Just trying to prepare you for the questions you may be asked by Benelli and Carlsons.

I saw the crud from the shot you fired but nowhere did I see a duck nor did I see the end of the choke, maybe you should frame per frame the video to prove your point to the manufacturers.

Lost.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:12 pm

lostknife4 wrote:I saw the crud from the shot you fired but nowhere did I see a duck nor did I see the end of the choke, maybe you should frame per frame the video to prove your point to the manufacturers.

In the actual video you can clearly see the duck flying. That all will be visible and evident to anyone who watches the video, which is why I am sending the video to those manufacturers.
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:10 pm

From experience with blown chokes and barrels in the shop and the look of the end of your barrel I would still bet they tell you it was obstructed. They might give you a new choke but most likely you will be buying a new barrel. :beer:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby njonesy_07 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:03 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote:From experience with blown chokes and barrels in the shop and the look of the end of your barrel I would still bet they tell you it was obstructed. They might give you a new choke but most likely you will be buying a new barrel. :beer:

I don't don't doubt you at all. As soon as Benelli said they wouldn't replace it I pretty much realized the odds were very slim to none that the choke manufacturer would replace it (obstruction or not). However, I will be interested to see what they say about the damage to the barrel. In any case, a new barrel at discounted price from Benelli won't be too bad.
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:16 am

The price of an M2 barrel is not that bad at all. The SBE II on the other hand runs in the $550 to $650 range.... :mad:

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby skybusterbob » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:11 am

njonesy_07 wrote:
waterfowlhunter wrote:From experience with blown chokes and barrels in the shop and the look of the end of your barrel I would still bet they tell you it was obstructed. They might give you a new choke but most likely you will be buying a new barrel. :beer:

I don't don't doubt you at all. As soon as Benelli said they wouldn't replace it I pretty much realized the odds were very slim to none that the choke manufacturer would replace it (obstruction or not). However, I will be interested to see what they say about the damage to the barrel. In any case, a new barrel at discounted price from Benelli won't be too bad.

I'll bet you are well over 500 for a new barrel.
skybusterbob
hunter

Postby tripleb » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:20 pm

njonesy_07 wrote:

If there was an obstruction, the portion of the choke remaining in the barrel should be swelled enough to make it difficult, if not impossible, to remove. If it isn't swelled, it's a structural failure, whether due to defective material or machining, only in hand examination would provide an answer.
tripleb
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:32 pm

And if the gun were dropped, or otherwise, placing the extended part of the tube in an angular collision with a hard surface the barrel could go oblong and the choke tube could crack if not altogether separate at that change of section, and separate on firing if not before. I'm concerned that as you noted the barrel and tube were visibly not in alignment before firing.................... Maybe your wife used it to pry the freezer away from the wall or as a jack handle in a hydraulic jack !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Postby william costa » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:54 pm

m2 barrels are 500 bucks
william costa
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:59 am

Is the little bit if flaring at the muzzle only damage to the barrel? Does that gun use the old style Benelli/Beretta tubes or the Crio tubes. If it takes Crio tubes I think I would try to get that tube out, install a new one, and use a brass hammer to round up the muzzle.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:36 pm

clampdaddy wrote:Is the little bit if flaring at the muzzle only damage to the barrel? Does that gun use the old style Benelli/Beretta tubes or the Crio tubes. If it takes Crio tubes I think I would try to get that tube out, install a new one, and use a brass hammer to round up the muzzle.

M2's take the crio chokes.

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby clampdaddy » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:32 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:Is the little bit if flaring at the muzzle only damage to the barrel? Does that gun use the old style Benelli/Beretta tubes or the Crio tubes. If it takes Crio tubes I think I would try to get that tube out, install a new one, and use a brass hammer to round up the muzzle.

M2's take the crio chokes.

If that's the case, it looks like any damage happened well past the threads. If a new tube would thread in and everything still felt nice and tight, I'd try to fix it.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:25 am

X2
Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Postby gateal1 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:10 am

You had many pictures there. Not a one did I see a duck or goose. Maybe you were shooting at a beaver? That is the mighty beaver state correct?

My vote is in....Obstruction in the.......
gateal1
Newb

Postby yareelohim » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:48 am

gateal1 wrote:You had many pictures there. Not a one did I see a duck or goose. Maybe you were shooting at a beaver? That is the mighty beaver state correct?

Definitely not an obstruction. Go research barrels with obstructions, the barrels will bulge 100% of the time.
There is no barrel bulge just a clean break in the choke.

Second picture you can see the duck coming.
"For the High and Exalted One who lives forever, whose name is Holy says this: 'I live in a high and holy place, and with the oppressed and lowly of spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and revive the heart of the oppressed." - Isaiah57:15
yareelohim
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:17 pm

yareelohim wrote:
gateal1 wrote:You had many pictures there. Not a one did I see a duck or goose. Maybe you were shooting at a beaver? That is the mighty beaver state correct?

Definitely not an obstruction. Go research barrels with obstructions, the barrels will bulge 100% of the time.
There is no barrel bulge just a clean break in the choke.

Second picture you can see the duck coming.

NOT true, and that is not a "clean break" look at the flared out barrel in the picture. It depends on where the obstruction is, what barrel it is (benelli barrels are very strong) and if there was a weak area. some will split the length of the barrel, some will bulge and some will just blow a hole out the side. I have seen more than one that looked just like this one come thru my shop that the customer remembered "possibly" sticking the muzzle on the ground or feeling a light shot and then the next shot blew the end of the choke tube or blew the choke completely out of the barrel. I personally know a guy that blew the end of a carlsons choke tube with an 870 on the 3rd shot shooting black cloud BB and it did NOT flare the end of the barrel like that, just a perfect break at the transition point..

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum