Browning Silver Broke After Firing

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Browning Silver Broke After Firing

Postby OldGeezer » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:17 pm

Have been using 3.5" shells for the last two seasons. Fired about ten rounds the other day and then it broke. Here is the pics of the result:

This is the bolt link that broke and I ordered another directly from Browning. Approximately $20 for the part. Had it overnighted and here it is all fixed. Pain in the butt to get the pin out, but a good steel punch and BFH worked fine.

The Silver and Gold has the same identical part number. The Maxus looks like the same link but I don't know the part number for that shotgun. Just thought I would share the misery. LOL!
OldGeezer
hunter

Re: Browning Silver Broke After Firing

Postby johnmoses » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:21 pm

Glad you got her fixed!!!

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
johnmoses
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:28 pm

good fix maybe defective part.
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:26 pm

Ouch!!! Did you inspect the recoil tube/spring assembly and the rear of the receiver for any abnormal marks? That break makes me wonder if the plunger in the stock got temporarily hung up for a split second on rust or debris, the bolt continued forward until the tail link fell away from the plunger cup, at the next shot the tail link crashed into the receiver and caused the breakage. Just a thought.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby OldGeezer » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:57 pm

clampdaddy wrote:Ouch!!! Did you inspect the recoil tube/spring assembly and the rear of the receiver for any abnormal marks? That break makes me wonder if the plunger in the stock got temporarily hung up for a split second on rust or debris, the bolt continued forward until the tail link fell away from the plunger cup, at the next shot the tail link crashed into the receiver and caused the breakage. Just a thought.

I sort of thought the same thing and went exploring. I did not notice any abnormal marks or scratches in or around the plunger cup. I also did not see any dirt or debris and the plunger operated freely. I really have no explanation other than a possible defect but, that seems pretty far fetched because the shotgun is over two years old. Metal fatigue, I don't think so either. The only other possibility would be something you mentioned. We will see this weekend.
OldGeezer
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:10 am

I've had a few Beretta's (390 ,391 and Tekneys) , they are a fine gun . With the above mentioned inspection of marks at the
back of the receiver , you might want to make sure the barrel was seated in the receiver properly and the for-end-cap screwed
down tight . This could cause the connecting rod to break , also !
3200 man
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:26 am

Check the buffer while your at it, may need to be replaced also.
Winchester SX2 12ga, SX3 20ga, Kicks Highflyer and Terror chokes.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:31 am

Looks like a defective part. Not sure but that looks like a cast part but I would have to take one of mine apart to see. could have suffered from internal defect like porosity, cracks and segregation or the heat treating process was not effective.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

More Carnage On Saturday

Postby OldGeezer » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:43 pm

Cycled around 10 rounds through the Silver on Saturday after installing the new link. This is what happened:

Here are some pics of the trigger assembly:

In the first, second, and third pic you can see the breakage. In the fourth pic, I have indicated with arrows the break points (at the top of pic) and apparent marring of the metal when the break occurred (lower two arrows).

Not really sure at this point what the problem is (was). It may be going from 3.5" shells that were 1340 fps to 3.5" shells that were 1550 fps. Anyone have any ideas?
OldGeezer
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:04 pm

the best way to describe what happen is retarded phone browning.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:36 pm

winchester1852 wrote:the best way to describe what happen is retarded phone browning.

:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckslayer74 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:48 pm

That is unacceptable!!!! Call Browning and send them the pics, I'm sure they'll fix it. I love My Winchesters but if that happened They'd get an ear full.
Winchester SX2 12ga, SX3 20ga, Kicks Highflyer and Terror chokes.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:15 pm

My theory....... After the tail link broke it was no longer supported so it dropped down and rested on the trigger assembly, the loose piece was pushed out of the recoil tube and was laying somewhere on top of the trigger group as well. The next shot caused the bolt to slam the pieces broken tail link into the trigger assembly. Resulting damage was not caught during the first repair. A few more shots caused it to scatter.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:13 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote:
winchester1852 wrote:the best way to describe what happen is retarded phone browning.

:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

what happened to his trigger group is retarded as in a weird anomaly. and he should call browning about it. :thumbsup:

i probably should of put a period in there.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby OldGeezer » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:42 pm

clampdaddy wrote:My theory....... After the tail link broke it was no longer supported so it dropped down and rested on the trigger assembly, the loose piece was pushed out of the recoil tube and was laying somewhere on top of the trigger group as well. The next shot caused the bolt to slam the pieces broken tail link into the trigger assembly. Resulting damage was not caught during the first repair. A few more shots caused it to scatter.

THIS, makes a lot of sense to me. After inspecting the trigger assembly more closely, the piece of the carrier dog that broke appears to have made the score marks at the bottom of picture number 4. It is very likely that the damage was done when the link broke previously. Thanks for looking and thanks for the words of wisdom.

I will be calling Browning very soon.
OldGeezer
hunter

Postby 23yearsago » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:50 am

Have to agree with ClampDaddy, seems very logical.
I also shoot a Silver and have been using nothing but 3.5" for the late season goose hunting....this malfunction is something you won't see coming even with the gun being "made" for 3.5" ammo.

I was brought up to care for my firearms in a respectful manner and clean them after use, no matter how many times it was fired. (regularly used rifles are a bit different)
I've read threads about fellows that shoot all season long and never clean or dis-assemble, no matter who the manufacturer is and brag about how their guns keep on shooting. My hunting partner is good for this.....and then when his gun gets sluggish and misfires he wonders why :huh: and I give him the verbal abuse :lol3:
I am NOT saying that OldGeezer falls into that category. With regular dis-assembly, inspection and cleaning, the start of a stress fracture in the link could have been noticed and the catastophic failure and damage "may" have been averted.
I will definately be paying closer attention to the moving internals of my Silver and SX3 after seeing this. :thumbsup: Hopefully Browning gets you back up and shooting in a timely manner.
23yearsago
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:59 am

If a 3 1/2" chambered gun is in top shape , high pressure loads work ok but , as the beating continues from these heavy
loads ,parts wear down and the gun is on borrowed time . Manufactures build guns for the average use and when a load is
offered that is border-line pressured , you can expect breakage ! Bigger is not always Better !
3200 man
hunter

Postby OldGeezer » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:26 pm

I talked with Browning service yesterday and it looks like I'm sending the shotgun to them for analysis/repair.
OldGeezer
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum