Owners of Remington SP-10 I need help and photos PLEASE HELP

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Re: Owners of Remington SP-10, I need photos PLEASE

Postby Petr Russia » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:33 pm

Another one problem.
There is no 10ga loaded cartridges in Russia, so I make it myself with russian powder and american 10ga shell.
Sometimes, then 3 is loaded, i have double feed. I read on barrel "3 1/2" shells only" (on my 870 it is written " 2 3/4" or 3" and 3 1/2 only with supermag receiver" ). Is this problem cause of using short cartridges? I use shells few times and every time cut cartridge more and more short. May it normally work only with long 3 1/2" only or I may shoot short cartridges and need to solve another problem to get rid of double feed?
Petr Russia
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:59 pm

In my experience the SP-10's like the standard 3.5" Rounds. from what I have seen they will not function properly with the shorter 2-7/8" ammo. BUT that is just what I have experenced, There may be some out there that work fine with the short shells.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Petr Russia » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:17 pm

2 7/8" is 55 mm.
3 1/2" is 89 mm.
My cartridges are longer, apr. 70-75 mm

So I need to find another way how to solve double feed.
Petr Russia
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:09 pm

or just stick to 3.5" ammunition and you should be fine.

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Petr Russia » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:04 am

I'll try to use new 3.5" shells.
Petr Russia
hunter

Postby Petr Russia » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:27 am

I shoot 10 new shells with no problem. Feed is normal, no doublefeed. Now I need to polish all inside for best work after the dremmel.
But unfortunately I saw off too much in height of guide inside the receiver (before I saw photos), so I shoot without disconnector. If I would it, I need to add some metal on this guide via welding. But the first task was to make it normally fire 3 times every time it is loaded. I Think, this task is technically solved, now there is only cosmetics things to do.
Thank you, mr. waterfowlhunter !!!
Petr Russia
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:38 pm

Your Welcome... Glad to hear it is working for you.

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Petr Russia » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:09 pm

Another one question.
I read carefully owner's manual. On page 10 I read, that to load shells into chamber and into magazine, I need to press carrier release button twice. But I always pressed it one time to close the bolt. After it i may raise carrier to load the magazine. It is like almost all other semi-auto shotgun Benelli, Winchester SX3, Remington 11-87. MP-153 etc (expect few russians MC 21-12 and Bekas-auto). Maybe it is some problem to solve too?
Petr Russia
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:26 pm

I owuld not know. I load the magazine then cycle one into the chamber and top off the magazine.

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Petr Russia » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:02 am

waterfowlhunter wrote:I owuld not know. I load the magazine then cycle one into the chamber and top off the magazine.

But for loading you press one or two time on the button? First to close the bolt. And second to raise the carrier. Isn't it?
Petr Russia
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:04 am

I am not sure but I think that is it. if the bolt is already open I throw one in the chamber adn close it then load the magaxine but not sure if I have to push the bolt release to load the mag.

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Iloveducks » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:35 pm

Petr, you are correct about pushing the bolt release to have the bolt slide move forward, and then to push it again to release the carrier so you can put shells in the magazine. John
Iloveducks
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:03 pm

Can't help on the repairs but would like to comment that this thread is the best one I have seen in these forums to date.
I think it's wonderful how you guys crossed international lines and broke language barriers to help a man fix an old Remington in RUSSIA.

There's a very good story buried in there like...HOW did the Remington even get there in Russia?

Great thread! Sorry I am a bit off-topic.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby Petr Russia » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:43 pm

Iloveducks wrote:Petr, you are correct about pushing the bolt release to have the bolt slide move forward, and then to push it again to release the carrier so you can put shells in the magazine. John

So, and I press only one time, like on many others semiauto. It is a wrong work of trigger mechanism I think. Maybe it is a problem to solve too. But there is no any traces of breaking or missing of any parts.
Last edited by Petr Russia on Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Petr Russia
hunter

Postby Petr Russia » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:49 pm

aunt betty wrote:Can't help on the repairs but would like to comment that this thread is the best one I have seen in these forums to date.
I think it's wonderful how you guys crossed international lines and broke language barriers to help a man fix an old Remington in RUSSIA.

There's a very good story buried in there like...HOW did the Remington even get there in Russia?

Great thread! Sorry I am a bit off-topic.

There is a lot imported 870, 11-87 and 700 in Russia. I own 870 and will buy 700 in a year.
One of big importers brought pack of SP-10 10-15 years ago.
I bought it as broken from heirs of geese hunter in deep province of Russia. It is very strange, cause SP-10 is very very expensive for province and 10Ga is absolutely non-popular in Russia. I live in Moscow and rather for me, I can't find any 10Ga cartridges in Moscow.
Petr Russia
hunter

Re: Owners of Remington SP-10, I need help and photos PLEASE

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:11 pm

Some Day I hope to visit Moscow, the architecture is very impressive in photos and can only be more impressive in person. I can not imagine the work that went into some of the buildings there. until then I will continue to view it thru books.

Hope your 10ga project works out for you, What type of geese do you have there?

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Petr Russia » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:34 am

waterfowlhunter wrote:Some Day I hope to visit Moscow, the architecture is very impressive in photos and can only be more impressive in person. I can not imagine the work that went into some of the buildings there. until then I will continue to view it thru books.

You are welcome!

waterfowlhunter wrote:Hope your 10ga project works out for you, What type of geese do you have there?

Moscow is an industry city and all territory around Moscow is occupied by cottages. Only few animals or birds are around the city. I need to visit another regions to find any prey.
I shoot these types of geese with my semi-auto Saiga-12 in St-Petersburg region near the frontier with Estonia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greylag_Goose
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bean_Goose
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Branta

I will upload photos with geese in evening, in office I have only one with Remington 870 and small field bird quail :) I am much more IPSC shooter, not hunter.
http://s54.radikal.ru/i143/1303/df/6935ade0159d.jpg
Petr Russia
hunter

Postby Petr Russia » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:54 am

I found on ebay Remington Field Service Manual SP-10 Magnum Gunsmith and asked the seller to make photos or scan in .pdf
Maybe this manual will help me in repair.
Petr Russia
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:25 am

That manual is also on gunbroker.com

how many rounds does that shotgun in the pic hold? and do you have to plug your guns down to 3 shots for waterfowl?

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Petr Russia » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:47 am

waterfowlhunter wrote:That manual is also on gunbroker.com

I have no way to buy on gunbroker, but no problem to buy on ebay.

waterfowlhunter wrote:how many rounds does that shotgun in the pic hold? and do you have to plug your guns down to 3 shots for waterfowl?

7+1. I have no special hunting shotgun. This is my most used Rem 870 model "Turkey" with +3 shells tube for IPSC, clay-shooting, hunting, home-defence, fun-shooting etc. I don't use any plugs, I see no reason and max capability is 10 rounds by the law. But nobody cares with it, on semi-auto versions of AK (and AR too), we use long 30 or 45 rounds military magazines. I tried to buy 100 round .223 drum, but now it is very difficult to find it and very difficult to ship it out from USA.
I also have Saiga 12 Short, very short bolt-action TOZ and Remington SP-10. Any rifles I will be able to buy in 2014.

http://cs10877.vk.me/u445212/71408701/x_bb5900b0.jpg
http://cs943.vk.me/u445212/71408701/x_6ca8c08d.jpg
http://cs943.vk.me/u445212/71408701/x_55686a57.jpg
Petr Russia
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:19 am

Very nice collection, especially that Saiga. :thumbsup:

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Petr Russia » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:14 am

Petr Russia
hunter

Postby Petr Russia » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:01 pm

Good news!!!
Diligently looking on photos, I've found the reason of one of two times pressing the bolt release to load.
My release lever was straight front, but on your photos it is angled to carrier. Using pliers, I made it angled. Now it works. And maybe now it doesn't hook bolt release button and will reload better.
Attachments
CIMG1122.JPG
Mine
P1010665.JPG
Your
Petr Russia
hunter

Postby Petr Russia » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:18 am

Finally today I shoot 15 shells. No double feed, only one time shell stopped inside the receiver on the carrier. I don't know the reason why. But it is very inconveniently to press and hold the button for load the magazine.

Also I bought SP-10 Gunsmith Manual on ebay and should receive it in April.
Petr Russia
hunter

Postby O.D.Lid » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:52 pm

you guys are awesome i bet this will help
If the ocean was made of WHISKEY and I was a DUCK I'd swim to the bottom and get all F!@#% up!
O.D.Lid
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum