sure cycle mag. upgrade kit

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

sure cycle mag. upgrade kit

Postby the_intern » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:43 pm

I just bought this kit for my a390st at the beginning of the season. In the last couple weeks its been getting difficult to load the second shell into the mag. Its happened a few other times on occasion and I'm thinking maybe the spring needs to be cut down? The mag tube and follower are clean so that's the only thing I can see that would be causing the issue. Anyone else had this dilemma? Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.

Matt
the_intern
hunter

Re: sure cycle mag. upgrade kit

Postby clampdaddy » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:16 am

Have you tried running the spring with the original plunger? In my Maxus I just bought the spring (the gun comes with an aluminum plunger) and it ran great. How bout the plug, did you get their plug or are you running the original one. If you got a plug for a 3.5 inch gun and have it installed in a 3 inch gun maybe its just a touch to long?
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby the_intern » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:41 am

I did get the follower and plug as well. I Know the plug is a little long but dint think anything of it since I only shoot 2 3/4. I'll give that a shot and also put the original follower back in to see if that makes a difference. Thanks for the tip. I'll let u know what happens.
the_intern
hunter

Postby steelheadslayer » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:55 pm

The plug that came with mine was notched at the end so you could break it off to shorten it. Did yours?
Last edited by steelheadslayer on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Opinions are like elbows, everyone seems to have a couple of em."-Phil Roberston
steelheadslayer
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:38 pm

email sure cycle they are very responsive
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby Pappy84 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:56 am

winchester1852 wrote:email sure cycle they are very responsive

Wish that were true, e-mailed them a week ago about the rubber bumper in the end of the action tube and have got no reply. :mad: The rubber is falling apart.

Check the mag. tube for rust as that may be the problem.
Friends don't make promises they can't keep.
Pappy84
hunter

Postby youngoilguy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:14 am

Sorry to say that I have learned not to fix what is t broken. My factory recoil spring assembly and mag spring and follower have been without any concerns.
assateague wrote:I hunt to kill. It's why I take a gun instead of a camera. And it's a goose- lighten up.

best quote ever
youngoilguy
hunter

Postby the_intern » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:12 pm

youngoilguy wrote:Sorry to say that I have learned not to fix what is t broken. My factory recoil spring assembly and mag spring and follower have been without any concerns.

I replaced the spring because it was starting to rust. I forgot to say i hunt mainly brackish and saltwater. I'm also goin to replace the recoil spring soon as well... its a rusty mess ans would rather have the stainless so its one less thing to worry about.

The plug doesn't have a notch to adjust length. If I push the follower in with my finger when it hangs up its always in the same spot... and if I release pressure and do it again its fine... this is why I'm thinking the spring is too long. ( like its getting hung up on itself from being bunched up in the mag tube.) I am goin to cut the plug down as well because I don't think I could fit two 3" shells in the mag (if I do decide to shoot them again. ) thanks for the ideas guys this has had me a little frustrated... do u think there action tube system is really worth it? Or should I just buy the parts and rebuild the factory one? I'm gonna go cut that stupid plug...

Matt
the_intern
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:28 pm

When you cut that plug make sure to round off any corners. Sharp corners on the end of the plug could hang up the spring and cause coil bind.

I like the sure cycle with the light spring in my 3 inch Silver. Runs great and I never worry about it anymore. I didn't care for it in my Maxus though. With the heavy spring the gun would jam when loading the first round, and the light spring just seemed to light for a 3.5 inch gas gun.
clampdaddy
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum