Mossberg 935 Waterfowl

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Mossberg 935 Waterfowl

Postby tigernation » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:51 am

Hey guys I'm new to this site but I joined because I figured yall could help me out with this:

I recently bought a 935 semi-auto waterfowl edition. I duck hunt pretty hard and need a gun that can handle saltwater hunting on a 6-day/week basis. Well, needless to say I was less than pleased with my 935's performance. After 5 days of hunting (and thorough cleaning after every hunt), the action on the gun began to malfunction. On a trip to the coast the following week, the gun completely failed and absolutely would not cycle shells. I had to sit and watch a flock of 500 blackheads land in my decoys and with only 1 shot the damage I did was far less than what I wanted. Needless to say, the gun was at the gunsmith that afternoon and I was told that I had a defective action. The gun was sent back to the company and I am still waiting for it to get back. A couple of questions. Has anyone had this issue with Mossberg? I know their pumps are great, but I was wondering if their semis have a history of jamming? I was using 3.5 Kents so I know the issue with 2 3/4 shot was not my issue. How is their customer service, It's been more than a month and I still haven't heard back. they originally said 3 weeks. I am concerned I may have made a mistake and might be better off cutting my losses and trying to sell back the gun for as much as I can get for it and starting over. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you
tigernation
Newb

Re: Mossberg 935 Waterfowl

Postby mudpack » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:05 am

My advice would be to give Mossberg a chance to remedy the problems, then if the gun continues to have issues, tell Mossberg you would like a full refund. Take the money, raid the kid's college fund, and buy a top-of-the-line autoloader.

From what I've read on a dozen forums, half of those buying Mossbergs have found them to be reliable as anvils, half have found them to be frustratingly unreliable tools. Certainly, quality control is the reason.
mudpack
hunter

Postby SciotoRiver Duckaholic » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:17 am

I bought my 935 on 12/12/12. It is the most expensive single shot gun I have ever purchased. I finally got through to Mossberg on the phone after multiple attempts. I have sent my gun back for thr first time. As soo as I get the gun back it will be traded for something that will cycle. There customer service was horrible. I hope they fix the problem. Good luck to you as well... If we hunt together we can use the two guns as a good pair of boat oars! :yes:
SciotoRiver Duckaholic
Newb

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:52 am

I grew up with a 500 pump that is just great. Super low tech and easy, reliable. Very easy to field strip.
As for the 935..
When I got mine, it was LOADED with factory lube and shards of the dipped camo pattern. There are a couple of you tube videos that can show you how to thoroughly strip and clean your gun.
Im on the salt in Long Island and am not as good as you at cleaning my gun every time. I'll spray it and wipe it, but only really get it apart a few times a season.
The only time I had any jamming was with the (very unnecessary and poorly patterning) 3.5" shells that are slightly over 4" when they attempt to eject!!
I regularly show 2.75" #6's for buffs with no problems..but you have to be smart. Don't put a 2.75 in with a 3"behind it, it may not work.
Clean it again, LIGHT oil and find some 3" shells that you like and you will be fine.
It's a good gun
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:58 am

After seeing a couple of 935's start malfunctioning, one was at a trap range and one was on hunt, and in trying to help the guys shooting them take the things apart and get them working again...I already have my conclusions made on the 935's.

What Mudpack says is true half of the people that own them want to get rid of them and half say they are great guns...IMHO the half that is saying how great the guns are don't want to admit they got screwed like the other half that is admitting it.

Get your money back on the gun if you can and buy something else...down the road you'll be glad you did
BT Justice
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:54 am

Look...
Obviously something is up if numerous people are having some issues. But I have held on to the gun because it works great for me. Not because I am too stupid or stubborn to send it back..
The price was right, it's a good feeling gun, well balanced, light, nice camo pattern, and I haven't had any jams that I wasn't asking for (and just as few/many as my partner with the SBE right next to me)...
By that I mean....
Shooting cheap, low brass target loads at clays that they tell you not to.
Shooting 2.75's with a 3.5 behind it...that little load isn't going to throw the chamber enough to suck in a 3.5"er...

Do what you want, but you have NOT bought a doomed gun that is going to fizzle and fizzle into a slow death...
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:35 am

I had a 935 and mine has no issues at all even able to shot after being dropped in the bay. but I did not care for the Fit and finish or the way it handled, Just felt big and clumsy in my hands so I sold it. fired less than 1000 rounds thru it so I can not make a fair evaluation on its functionality but it never failed me at at all.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Slack Tide » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:47 am

waterfowlhunter wrote:I had a 935 and mine has no issues at all even able to shot after being dropped in the bay. but I did not care for the Fit and finish or the way it handled, Just felt big and clumsy in my hands so I sold it. fired less than 1000 rounds thru it so I can not make a fair evaluation on its functionality but it never failed me at at all.

Are you a small or medium build?
That's odd because one of my favorite things about it is it's fit. I am 6'3" 230 with medium hands and I find it sleek and well balanced...
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:09 am

Slack Tide wrote:
waterfowlhunter wrote:I had a 935 and mine has no issues at all even able to shot after being dropped in the bay. but I did not care for the Fit and finish or the way it handled, Just felt big and clumsy in my hands so I sold it. fired less than 1000 rounds thru it so I can not make a fair evaluation on its functionality but it never failed me at at all.

Are you a small or medium build?
That's odd because one of my favorite things about it is it's fit. I am 6'3" 230 with medium hands and I find it sleek and well balanced...

I can not complain at all about the function of the 935, Just the way it feels.
I like the fit / feel of a Benelli, very thin forend, very light weight and smooth as silk actions, The mossbergs always feel "gritty" to me and they feel like I am swinging a 2x6 rather than a gun. I also sold an MP153 for the same reason, they just do not feel "refined" for lack of a better description. Same for the Versamax, I would bet it is made by the same company that makes the MP153 or at least they had some input into it.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Slack Tide » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:16 am

Fair enough...
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby scastle » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:30 pm

i bought one and had alkinds of problems.sent back to moss. and they fixed it and i love it.im a big man though.i bought because it was made in USA
scastle
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum