Stuck Choke Tube Question

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Stuck Choke Tube Question

Postby Hcalls » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:08 am

I picked up a used Browning BPS. The gun is functionally sound and the price was right. The gun has the invector plus chokes tube system and the choke tube is stuck. I took the gun to my local gun smith who has a great reputation. He was unable to free the choke tube. What are my options? The barrel is 28 and camo dipped” Thanks
See Ya
Hcalls
hunter

Re: Stuck Choke Tube Question

Postby william costa » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:26 am

soak end of barrel in a cup of pb blaster for a day then try again.there could be several reasons behind this 1)choke left in gun for years,2)end of barrel and choke have been expanded,3)someone has put choke in and gualded or cross threaded threads(worse case senario).after soaking put a choke wrench in and try turning it with a pair of pliars and if its hard to turn after it breaks loose its probably crossed threads and will be tight all the way out.if and when u get it out clean and lightly grease threads or put anti-seize on threads before reinstalling.good luck!
william costa
hunter

Postby Hcalls » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:38 am

I had previously soaked the barrel in PB Blast. I soaked it for about a week. After failing to get the choke tube out with my own means I called the gun smith. The gunsmith informed me that the tube was not cross threaded. The previous owner put the modified tube in and never removed it in 6 years of use.
See Ya
Hcalls
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:49 am

Do you have access to any dry ice? A quick freeze of the choke could help it pull free from the threads if it is rusted.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:21 am

Heat is going to be your only option...and probably the worst one for a gun barrel.

I have heard of people taking transmission fluid and heating it up to just below the flash point(400 degrees) then sticking the choke tube end of the barrel in there for a while...it works in some instances.
Other than that , and I hate to suggest this, get a propane torch and heat the inside of choke tube then try twisting it out..it will work but you'll probably ruin the camo job.
BT Justice
hunter

Postby el diablo » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:25 am

I had choke stuck in Browning gold like that. I broke a choke wrench trying to get it out. I soaked the end of the barrel in Kroil oil over night and it came lose. I would try it.
el diablo
hunter

Postby Hcalls » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:58 pm

Has anyone tried welding a bolt to a choke tube? Then you could use a socket to take the tube off. I am not concerned with the choke tube... Its junk to me .. I just want the thing out. I really don want to screw the barrel up. The barrel is Mossy Oak Shadow Grass which is no longer offered from browning. Option 3 is leaving the current tube in the barrel forever.
See Ya
Hcalls
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:54 pm

Hcalls wrote:Has anyone tried welding a bolt to a choke tube? Then you could use a socket to take the tube off. I am not concerned with the choke tube... Its junk to me .. I just want the thing out. I really don want to screw the barrel up. The barrel is Mossy Oak Shadow Grass which is no longer offered from browning. Option 3 is leaving the current tube in the barrel forever.

Fourth option. Get another barrel.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby gahunter706 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:26 pm

I removed a stuck turkey choke from my 11-87 by heating the barrel over the stove on low for about 2 mins, the soaking it in penetrating oil for a few hours. I repeated this process two times, then stuck the barrel in a vice and slid about a 2ft pipe over the end of the choke tube wrench and it came out pretty easily. I believe rust is what got mine stuck, the gun is a dedicated turkey gun so it doesn't get shot much, but I don't think I had removed that choke in 5 years.
gahunter706
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:46 pm

I have removed a lot of chokes for people in my shop...first soak in penetrating oil then, put bbl in vise with blocks of wood or in my case use bbl blocks and then tighten down vise then take impact gun with big ease-out and chokes come out with one our two trigger pulls then i take small wire wheel (brass)on drill ad clean threads out and then take to my parts washer and clean out threads there air blow dry then put new choke in after putting anti-seize on threads before installing choke.

Has never failed me in 20 years of taking out stuck chokes!!!!
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby Hcalls » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:48 pm

Thanks for all of the advice. I am going to give the barrel hell and see if the damn thing will come out. I think I am going to try the easy out method that goosepit mentioned.
See Ya
Hcalls
hunter

Postby Park Duck » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:45 am

all thread the length of the barrel with washer and nut on chamber end and choke wrench washer and nut on choke end. tighten the nuts down and this will hold choke tube in choke allowing you to really get after it in a vise
Park Duck
hunter

Postby Johnnytheboy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:29 pm

You could try giving the barrel a light tap with a rubber mallet all around the barrel around where the choke threads are, wrap it in a towel or something so as not to damage the camo finish, be gentle!

The impact gun idea is a great one!
Johnnytheboy
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:49 am

I have never failed at removing a stuck choke for customers. Many options are available but what generally works it soaking in Kroil, and then striking the barel all the way around on the choke tube and threads with a leather or hard rubber mallet. this will flex the barrel at the choke and break the rust loose. Ususlly takes a couple cycles of soaking and tapping to get them out. If you know how to do this you will not damage the finish on the barrel.

This works too. Choke tool on an impact driver.

5-05-11 005.JPG

5-05-11 004.JPG
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby djthunter » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:09 am

http://www.ricksplace.biz/STUCK-CHOKE-TUBE-TOOL.html
used this tool a few times hasn't failed me yet
djthunter
Newb

Postby william costa » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:10 pm

thats pretty good that is the same easy outs available from matco tools :eek:
william costa
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:05 am

goosepit2007 wrote:I have removed a lot of chokes for people in my shop...first soak in penetrating oil then, put bbl in vise with blocks of wood or in my case use bbl blocks and then tighten down vise then take impact gun with big ease-out and chokes come out with one our two trigger pulls then i take small wire wheel (brass)on drill ad clean threads out and then take to my parts washer and clean out threads there air blow dry then put new choke in after putting anti-seize on threads before installing choke.

Has never failed me in 20 years of taking out stuck chokes!!!!

That is GREAT advice! :thumbsup:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:07 pm

djthunter wrote:http://www.ricksplace.biz/STUCK-CHOKE-TUBE-TOOL.html
used this tool a few times hasn't failed me yet

yes that is pipe easy out for those in plumbing field, not bolt easy out... which is better because they are longer cone shaped were they fit in multiple gauges/choke constrictions. were as you have to have the exact right size to fit that perticular choke/gauge with the pipe easy outs. or they will not work. The ease out part is only 1 or so were as ease out part for bolts is upwards of 3 inch of surface area. I believe the size i use the most is size 8 with 7 being close second for others... tried looking the other day to see the sizes but they are so old that the marking are all rubbed off.

my easy outs have paid for themselves over and over again 100's of times im my shop.

good shootin
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby rg732122 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:00 pm

Took me and my old man to get the choke out of my newest gun. Been in there since the original owner bought it new 5 years ago. Came out really hard the whole was. Treads were fine just really dry and dirty. Good brush cleaning and some grease and she is good as new.
rg732122
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum