Mossberg 500

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Mossberg 500

Postby montazuma » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:18 pm

I live in Michigan and my son lives in Texas, he owns the shotgun in question, at 1200 miles between we are trying to repair it over the phone. The situation is after he takes a shot and forward lock in another shot, the gun does not always lock, can anybody tell us what parts need replacing to successfully repair to a safe operating shotgun? Answers to fix his gun will be appreciated.

Thank you
montazuma
Newb

Re: Mossberg 500

Postby StevenL » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:43 pm

you can email the service department: service@mossberg.com and explain the problem but you'll have better luck and a faster answer if you call: 800-363-3555
I bought a used 500 six or so years ago. Believing the barrel might not be safe after cleaning it the first time, I sent the gun in as per their instruction. About a month later they sent the shotgun back with a brand new barrel and no charge even though I had told them I was not the original owner. Now that's what I call SERVICE.
StevenL
hunter

Re: Mossberg 500

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:47 am

is this happening with a round in the chamber or empty? By locking, Do you mean that the slide will not go all the way forward? Or is the slide going all the way forward but just not locking up? There could be an issue with the barrel not seating all the way into the receiver. There could also be an issue withthe locking lug or the barrel extension lug recess. I would need a lot more info to get you in the right direction.

There could also be an issue with the trigger group and the slide release not functioning correctly. is the slide release dropping down where it belongs and can be pushed up to the release position or is it stuck in the release position? A good cleaning on th etrigger group could solve your issue. HOT soapy water and fast agitation in the water then blow it out with compressed air and lightly oil all parts. or spray it out real good with non-clorinated brake cleaner and oil.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum