hot stuff super glue

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

hot stuff super glue

Postby pdqt » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:57 pm

I had this recommended to me to fix a cracked stock with. Has anyone used this or have any comments? :huh: :help:
pdqt
hunter

Re: hot stuff super glue

Postby orphanedcowboy » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:13 am

No, epoxy is the best adhesive you can use. You cannot get the hot glue into the crack deep enough.
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:41 am

Like Orphaned stated epoxy has always been traditionally used. I did try the new waterproof wood glue on a repair for a customer...so far it's been 3 years and he's still shooting the gun.
One thing you have to do is open the crack up as wide as you can without further damaging the stock, and get as much glue in the crack as you can...then either pin the stock or if you can clamp it for at least 24 hrs.
BT Justice
hunter

Postby tripleb » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:51 am

I've used superglue to repair cracks in gun stocks. The common problem I ran into was that the glue would soak into the wood, but would not hold the two pieces together well. A second application was often required. A thin epoxy is best, something like Accraglas .... not the gel, though. I've even used a long drill bit to drill a hole down the length of the crack, then put some thin epoxy into a syringe and force the epoxy into the hole with the pressure of the syringe. The epoxy will spread out from the drilled hole into the crack better.
tripleb
hunter

Postby pdqt » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:53 am

What research I had done, accraglas seemed to be the way to go but when I called, the tech said this was easier, and a lot of the stock makers were using it. I have a hair line crack in the stock, it will take a bit of wedgeing, just to get a needle in it.
I read where you can thin the epoxy to get it to work in a syringe, never tried it.
pdqt
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:58 am

Another idea is to heat the stock a bit with a hair dryer to allow the epoxy to flow into the crack and use a slow setting epoxy for better results. Obviously don't heat it to the point it cooks the epoxy and reduces the bond and resiliancy once set but a bit of heat will help to draw more of the adhesive into the crack. Depending upon the stock configuration, if you can get to the inside of the crack spread some epoxy there as well to reinforce the repair. Let it sit overnight and sand/scrape off the excess.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby Lefty Ray » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:47 pm

super glue will not work on porus material. When using super glue, the least amount is best. It works in the abscence of air. Thats why holding the pieces to be glued together for 20 seconds is recommended. This squeezes out the air.
Lefty Ray
I shoot a SBEII Max 5, Benelli SuperNova, Franci Affinity, and a Canon 7D

Freelance Outdoor Photographer
No Blind is Too Cold, Too Crowded, or Too Far
Lefty Ray
hunter

Postby eastcoastsoxfan » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:09 pm

Ive used super glue to repair scratches and dents on a high gloss finish but like the others have said not good for the actual wood.
"The old school hunters shoot what they shoot and kill as many as they always have, the newbies have their 3.5."
eastcoastsoxfan
hunter

Postby EdS » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:29 pm

Another vote for the standard Acraglas. In the past I've also used regular "hardware store" 2-part epoxy, but you can't find anything except the fast setting variety now - and that's not as strong as the regular. -Ed
EdS
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:33 pm

Hot Stuff is a brand name of a cyanoacryic adhesive ("super glue"), not a hot melt glue. It is used extensively in the modeling industry on wood. It also sometimes requires a special primer or a special catalyst to get best results on wood.
If I had to repair a crack in a wood stock, I'd use a structural epoxy (boat building epoxy) and judicious use of a heat gun as has been mentioned.
mudpack
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum