Does your magazine plug have to be factory ?

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Does your magazine plug have to be factory ?

Postby goosehappy » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:53 pm

I want make a new plug for my Beretta, but I have read that your mag plug has to be manufactured for your gun. Anyone know if this is true?
trapped in the polar vortex
goosehappy
hunter

Re: Does your magazine plug have to be factory ?

Postby McDerry » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:58 pm

goosehappy wrote:I want make a new plug for my Beretta, but I have read that your mag plug has to be manufactured for your gun. Anyone know if this is true?

Read where? I've used a number 2 pencil for the last decade.
McDerry
hunter

Postby goosehappy » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:37 pm

McDerry wrote:
goosehappy wrote:I want make a new plug for my Beretta, but I have read that your mag plug has to be manufactured for your gun. Anyone know if this is true?

Read it on another forum. May not be true, but its just the kind of thing a nasty CO might write you up for if he/she can. I know, they'd have to take your gun apart, and that seems unreasonable.
trapped in the polar vortex
goosehappy
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:47 am

goosehappy wrote:
McDerry wrote:

Read it on another forum. May not be true, but its just the kind of thing a nasty CO might write you up for if he/she can. I know, they'd have to take your gun apart, and that seems unreasonable.

And you know they can't put anything on the internet that isn't true.
It dosen't matter what you use for a plug, I've seen guys forget they had the plug out on a CO hunt and just find a stick the right length and put it in there in the field.
Years ago, back in the old days before they used plastic for everything, all the plugs were made from wood dowels...
BT Justice
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:07 am

^^^Exactly!^^^

It doesn't matter if it is a factory plug, a piece of a limb or a custom made titanium rod as long as the magazine will only hold 2 cartridges...period.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:16 am

Ever been checked? I have and I'll describe how it works.

The GW pulls out this little rubber stick-thing...It has a mark or something on it. He jams that into your magazine and measure how far his tool goes in. If it goes in past a certain point...it's a violation.
No need to take your shotgun apart at all unless he gives you the chance to fix it in the field to prevent getting a ticket. Have seen that happen before when a guy forgot. They took the shotgun apart and used a stick to fashion a plug for the magazine. A dowel-rod that's cut the right length will work on some shotguns. Not sure about a Beretta.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby orphanedcowboy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:25 am

aunt betty wrote:Ever been checked? I have and I'll describe how it works.

The GW pulls out this little rubber stick-thing...It has a mark or something on it. He jams that into your magazine and measure how far his tool goes in. If it goes in past a certain point...it's a violation.
No need to take your shotgun apart at all unless he gives you the chance to fix it in the field to prevent getting a ticket. Have seen that happen before when a guy forgot. They took the shotgun apart and used a stick to fashion a plug for the magazine. A dowel-rod that's cut the right length will work on some shotguns. Not sure about a Beretta.

Yes, several times. Never had an issue where they wanted to actually see the plug. In fact, a couple of times, they checked the birds, ammo, license and ID and went on their way without ever checking magazine capacity. Your experience may differ, but I greet them with an empty and open gun, license and id, a good welcome and a hardy handshake.
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:11 am

I've pulled the cap off and stuck a couple shells on the top of the spring in a pinch (there is no way they could chamber).
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:57 am

All of the times I've been checked the GW simply took 3 cartridges from me (to check for lead shot) then attempted to put all 3 into the magazine. When the 3rd one wouldn't fit he'd hand the gun and single cartridge back to me to unload the magazine and safely put the gun away...simple as that.

One day I handed him 3 cartridges then uncased my gun and laughingly told him I'd pay $5,000 if he could get all 3 into the gun; a Citori! He chuckled as he handed the gun back to me and went his merry way.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum