Who's the Mossy 935 expert here?

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Who's the Mossy 935 expert here?

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:00 am

How far down do you guys strip your 935 when cleaning? I broke down the action once when I first got it and went into panic mode when things started popping out on me...and I've been timid about doing it again..

Also, and more importantly:
I got a cheap deal on some old ammo. I loaded it up, fired the first shot and the brass cracked open after firing, the second shell loaded under the action and the third shell attempted to enter too...what a mess. I broke it all apart and took everything out and cleaned everything.
When I attempted to load a new shell, I dropped it into the open chamber and hit the button, but the lifting arms wouldn't throw the shell up level so the action could slam it into the chamber. It happened a few times, but not every time.
I then placed a shell INTO the chamber, hit the button and loaded 2 more. All three loaded and fired perfectly..
The gun has worked flawlessly in every way prior to this so this isn't another "crappy Mossberg story"...

Any thoughts?
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Re: Who's the Mossy 935 expert here?

Postby coruptone » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:44 pm

One thing to watch for, When you have shells in the mag and the bolt is closed if you press that cool little button. Shells will come out of the mag tube and jam between the closed bolt and the lifting bar. Also with the bolt closed you can press the lifting bar up then press the button and unload the mag but watch out cause whatever finger you use to hold the lifting bar down will get smashed.
coruptone
hunter

Postby StevenL » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:57 pm

Expert I ain't, but I do own one and I love it.

Well, it just goes to show the possibilities in using ammunition of dubious integrity. I don’t know a whole bunch about chamber pressures so I’d have to guess there was a tad more than the normal ‘bucking funch’ when you touched off the offending round that sent the elevator/lifter into a temporary lock-down condition.
Here’s my theory: The internal pressure generated by the cartridge in question was above and beyond normal operating pressure. In fact it was so severe that two more cartridges were loaded into the bay. I’m thinking the second round hit the back of the receiver so hard that it sort of hyper extended the elevator (much like bending your elbow or knee in the wrong direction or beyond normal range of motion), and caused it to stay in a condition that would allow the introduction of the third cartridge into the receivers’ loading bay . . . all in less than a couple tenths of a second probably. So too the pusher bar (that thing with two pins on it that floats around the magazine tube) may have lingered at the front of the receiver and the bottom of its stroke longer than it’s supposed to, which also would allow the passage of an additional round past the shell stops. Finally, that you were able to cycle the weapon again under normal conditions to allow the shotguns’ own mechanical functions to reset the elevator speaks volumes.
Yours is not another “crappy Mossberg story”. It is a testimony of the occasional beatings that we hunters discover our favorite tools are able to endure. Good on you, Slack Tide.
StevenL
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:38 am

StevenL wrote:Expert I ain't, but I do own one and I love it.

Well, it just goes to show the possibilities in using ammunition of dubious integrity. I don’t know a whole bunch about chamber pressures so I’d have to guess there was a tad more than the normal ‘bucking funch’ when you touched off the offending round that sent the elevator/lifter into a temporary lock-down condition.
Here’s my theory: The internal pressure generated by the cartridge in question was above and beyond normal operating pressure. In fact it was so severe that two more cartridges were loaded into the bay. I’m thinking the second round hit the back of the receiver so hard that it sort of hyper extended the elevator (much like bending your elbow or knee in the wrong direction or beyond normal range of motion), and caused it to stay in a condition that would allow the introduction of the third cartridge into the receivers’ loading bay . . . all in less than a couple tenths of a second probably. So too the pusher bar (that thing with two pins on it that floats around the magazine tube) may have lingered at the front of the receiver and the bottom of its stroke longer than it’s supposed to, which also would allow the passage of an additional round past the shell stops. Finally, that you were able to cycle the weapon again under normal conditions to allow the shotguns’ own mechanical functions to reset the elevator speaks volumes.
Yours is not another “crappy Mossberg story”. It is a testimony of the occasional beatings that we hunters discover our favorite tools are able to endure. Good on you, Slack Tide.

I'm an English teacher and that was a great read....
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:08 pm

Not sure it was a "great read" but it certainly was clearly understandable. Refreshingly written for all and anyone to comprehend, not usually the case here. Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:53 pm

lostknife4 wrote:Not sure it was a "great read" but it certainly was clearly understandable. Refreshingly written for all and anyone to comprehend, not usually the case here. Lost

My point exactly
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum