Stoeger 3500 owners Bolt Disassembly Question?

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Stoeger 3500 owners Bolt Disassembly Question?

Postby inthebox30lbs » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:14 pm

On my new 3500 when breaking down the bolt, the bolt locking pin the decent size pin that hold the locking head in place. Should this be pretty loose fitting. Mine seems to be very loose when putting in back in. Is this normal. When the gun is assembled there is no way it can come out, just curios. The gun functions great just not sure about that locking head pin.
scott
inthebox30lbs
hunter

Re: Stoeger 3500 owners Bolt Disassembly Question?

Postby JustStartin' » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:08 pm

yup i thought the same way. thats how it is.
JustStartin'
hunter

Postby blownsled » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:02 am

Are you sure it's all the way in mine fits really tight hard to get out even
blownsled
hunter

Postby inthebox30lbs » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:30 am

THe first time I had to use a punch to get it out it was in there so tight. Now it moves in and out very freely. I never took it out on the intial cleaning, and shot the gun about 125 times. Im assuming the bolt surface wore a little and thats why its hard to get out that first time
scott
inthebox30lbs
hunter

Postby inthebox30lbs » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:52 am

Update!! Just got off the phone with Stoeger, one of their gunsmiths and a customer service rep. They told me the locking head pin is not designed to be removed with every cleaning. It is staked in their from stoeger. To get it out you punch it through the factory stake job. If this roughed up edge is smoothed out it will free fall in and out. The gunsmith walked me through how to restake it and I did with a ball peen hammer and a heavy duty nail punch. Its in their and no longer can come out. I let em have it because the manual clearly shows a picture of if being removed as part of the break down cleaning of the bolt. They said they know but only reccommend occassionally to remove for cleaning and it would have to be restaked each time. They did say that they would not reccomend shooting it if its not staked on properly. I shot mine a bunch and it was just fine, but im not going to take any chances. ***!! good thing the gun runs like a dream with any shell i put in it.
inthebox30lbs
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum